D3K's MOCs

161 replies to this topic

#151 Alasdair Ryan

Alasdair Ryan

• Technic Hall of Fame Editor

Member: 8292

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:06 PM

I think you might find that you may need to add a brace to the slew gear,it looks a bit week at the moment.
Posted Image

Updated 02/08/12
Posted Image

#152 D3K

D3K

Member: 30082

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

If you mean the Posted Image with the 12 tooth single and double bevel gears, that are driving the actual turntable, it is attached with an 8L axle with stop going through a lot of axle holes, so that shouldn't be a problem :wink:

#153 D3K

D3K

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

Apart from the [MINI] contest and finishing Madoca's Supercar GT/R/EVO/whatever, I have also made some progress on my large pneumatic arm.

Note: This is going to be a prototype pneumatic demolition excavator, therefore the aesthetics have not played much of a role while designing this. It is more of a proof of concept, to get geometries, mechanics, weight impression, bracing, connections, and pneumatic tubing length, etc, right for the eventual Mk II version, which will hopefully look a lot better :blush:

The boom geometry is loosely based on the Hitachi ZAXIS 1000K-3 (?) demolition excavator, with the short boom

Click the pictures to see them in full resolution, or visit the bricksafe WIP folder

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I showed the pneumatic claw/shears earlier, but I have made a rotatable and tiltable shovel as well, as a drop in replacement, which utilizes the same pneumatic circuit and rotating axle/PTO as the shears. I also made a mechanical hammer, that is not finished yet. So no pictures of that I'm afraid. It uses only the axle rotation to drive the hammer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

In the last picture you can barely see that I moved the worm drive from the arm, and onto the bucket assembly. This practically eliminates all deflection in the gears from manipulating the bucket (not the sideways tilting, but the main "digging" motion), and gives it less play. Before I did this, the bucket would rotate more than 45 degrees as it was being manipulated.. if that makes any sense :blush:

Lastly, I have a picture of all the pneumatic tubing going down the innermost part of the boom:
Posted Image
This shows the control tubes for all the functions except the main boom lift cylinders, which will join the others before going to the superstructure.

The axle for the PTO is going through each joint of the arm via free-spinning 20 tooth single bevel gears.

Now I just have to build a superstructure. :sweet:

The plan has never been to make this fully RC, as pneumatic + RC = crap, and concidering the weight of this, I want to have some finger tip accuracy when handling the valves. I will however have a compressor, as well as a motor for the axle of course. Each of these will be powered by their own dedicated battery box, to act as counterweights in the rear of the superstructure (I think it will be needed).

Thoughts and suggestions for improvements are as always welcome :wink:

Again; this is just a prototype/proof of concept, not meant to win any best-looking-excavator-of-the-year-awards :thumbup:

#154 Error404

Error404

Member: 50600

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:41 AM

Ah, I like the turning mechanism on the bucket, looks just like the real thing :sweet:
--- Bring the noise! ---

#155 D3K

D3K

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:23 PM

View PostError404, on 14 June 2014 - 12:41 AM, said:

Ah, I like the turning mechanism on the bucket, looks just like the real thing :sweet:

Thanks, it works quite well! I'm not sure if it's normal to have the turntable before the hydraulic rams for tiltin, or after, like in my model :classic:

WIP:

Posted Image

Features:
-Drive: 2x PF-XL
-Steering: PF-Servo
-Tipping bed: PF-M, two LA's
-Dual rear axle drive, with lockable centre diff
-Independent double wishbone suspension on front axle
-Live axles rear suspension
-Openable doors
-PF-LED front and back
-Tiltable cabin
-V6 fake engine

The chassis is based on the one I used for the 8x4 recovery truck

Higher resolution image and some WIP images here

Still to do:
-Add interior
-Figure out some details
-Try to fit an L-motor instead of an M-motor
-Maybe motorize cabin tilt feature

#156 Zblj

Zblj

• Positively Spamming Embedded Videos in the Name of Science

Member: 7054

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:27 PM

That looks rather cute, cab looks arther big though. Lots of functions, you are using a normal battery box?

#157 D3K

D3K

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:35 PM

Thanks, yeah, when I designed the roof, I realized it might be a bit tall.. :blush: Will see what can be done, and if it looks as big in real life.. :classic:

And yeah, standard batterybox:
Posted Image

#158 Zblj

Zblj

• Positively Spamming Embedded Videos in the Name of Science

Member: 7054

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

Any way you can add rear axle steering?

#159 D3K

D3K

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:47 PM

Not with this setup, these kind of trucks usually don't have rear axle steering, but rather the ability to lift it. This is to avoid unwanted wear on the tyres when driving with no load. I know some trucks have a steered rear axle, but never together with dual wheels, I think :blush:

#160 Cumulonimbus

Cumulonimbus

Member: 18303

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

View PostD3K, on 30 June 2014 - 10:47 PM, said:

Not with this setup, these kind of trucks usually don't have rear axle steering, but rather the ability to lift it. This is to avoid unwanted wear on the tyres when driving with no load. I know some trucks have a steered rear axle, but never together with dual wheels, I think :blush:
Actually, it does exist, take a look at the truck in the following (Dutch) article:
http://www.bouwmachi...-2011-06-48.pdf

#161 D3K

D3K

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

View PostCumulonimbus, on 01 July 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

Actually, it does exist, take a look at the truck in the following (Dutch) article:
http://www.bouwmachi...-2011-06-48.pdf

Thanks! Never seen it before, sure is an interesting design! :thumbup: A little bit tempted to try and implement it, but I think I'll leave it be for now, as the rear is pretty packed already :sweet:

EDIT: Curse you! Now I have to do it! :laugh: Seeing as I don't speak Dutch, and I'm not about to googletranslate the entire .pdf manually, did you catch what kind of suspension the rear axle uses? :classic:

Edited by D3K, 01 July 2014 - 05:19 PM.

#162 legolijntje

legolijntje

Member: 11214

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

The text is a bit vague, but as far as I can tell, the truck uses leaf-springs on the rear axles.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users