Jump to content


Problem with LEGO Replacement Parts


20 replies to this topic

#1 chongcheng

chongcheng

    Posts: 43
    Joined: 20-September 09
    Member: 7494
    Country: Singapore

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

Hi,

I notice LEGO Customer Service always choke when I request for replacement for missing parts/damaged parts from sets that are made In China (E.g. Collectible Minifig Series, Chess sets, etc).

For example - once was for Series 1, my ninja was missing the headgear and another time for Series 6, my skater was missing her legs.

Both times - for the ninja, LEGO sent me a key chain to sort of placate me for the missing part. For the Skater legs, LEGO was also unable to replace it and simply ended giving me a similar leg piece (they claimed it is similar). I am not truly satisfied with what they have done

Then now, recently I claimed 14 ovoid Dragon shields (a severe color problem - that I am 100% sure will fail LEGO QC check for colors, if they actually do it in China) from the 7 Kingdoms chess sets I bought recently. They were unable to replace it again and simply gave an convenient excuse, saying it was discontinued, when it is still selling in my local retail stores.

Is LEGO truly incapable of replacing any missing/faulty parts from sets that are made in China?

#2 Writers Blocks

Writers Blocks

    Posts: 53
    Joined: 04-June 12
    Member: 28999
    Country: USA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

I bought a Mill Village Raid, and the horse's head wasn't painted on one side. I contacted customer service, and they said they couldn't replace it. At my prompting, they sent me a black horse as a replacement. I don't know if that piece was made in China.

#3 TheLegoDr

TheLegoDr

  • Yellow Panel Expert


    Posts: 4595
    Joined: 18-July 11
    Member: 19128
    Country: USA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

There probably are certain pieces that can't be replicated, or replicated too easily. Also, they probably don't want to be taken advantage of as a company so they may be hesitant about sending out multiple replacement parts to one individual. I have purchased a lot of LEGO within the last year and have had multiple issues with printing or damaged/missing pieces and they have made me jump through many hurdles to get my pieces, so much to the point that I quit complaining about the stuff and am just dealing with damaged pieces because it is too far common of a problem. So I'm sure as a business they are hesitant about giving out replacement parts even though their QC is suspect.

But depending on the mold/print, I'm sure they may have some trouble getting a replica for that if none are in stock and they can't/won't do any more just for one person. At least they gave you something as a replacement to make up for it. They basically told me tough luck.
Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

flickr
See my collection

#4 Aanchir

Aanchir

  • Color Encyclopedia


    Posts: 7792
    Joined: 31-December 09
    Member: 8841
    Country: United States

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

View Postchongcheng, on 18 September 2012 - 05:08 PM, said:

Hi,

I notice LEGO Customer Service always choke when I request for replacement for missing parts/damaged parts from sets that are made In China (E.g. Collectible Minifig Series, Chess sets, etc).

For example - once was for Series 1, my ninja was missing the headgear and another time for Series 6, my skater was missing her legs.

Both times - for the ninja, LEGO sent me a key chain to sort of placate me for the missing part. For the Skater legs, LEGO was also unable to replace it and simply ended giving me a similar leg piece (they claimed it is similar). I am not truly satisfied with what they have done

Then now, recently I claimed 14 ovoid Dragon shields (a severe color problem - that I am 100% sure will fail LEGO QC check for colors, if they actually do it in China) from the 7 Kingdoms chess sets I bought recently. They were unable to replace it again and simply gave an convenient excuse, saying it was discontinued, when it is still selling in my local retail stores.

Is LEGO truly incapable of replacing any missing/faulty parts from sets that are made in China?
As I understand it, they can't replace Chinese parts if they are from sets that are manufactured 100% in China. In other words, things like the collectible minifigures which are manufactured, packaged, and distributed from the Chinese production facility cannot be replaced, simply because the LEGO Customer Service hub does not have any spare copies of these parts on hand.

Based on this explanation, Chinese-made parts that appear in sets with non-Chinese parts should be able to be replaced. Examples would include the specialized snake head molds and tail molds from the LEGO Ninjago theme. But I'm not 100% certain that this explanation is correct; it's just what I remember hearing.

Where did you get the Dragon shields from, though? Normally my experience with Chinese-made parts' print quality is very good, to the extent that the snake heads and tails from my 9450 Epic Dragon Battle are vastly superior in print quality to the torso pieces that go with them. Of course, it's possible that parts like this that go into mainstream sets get a more extensive quality-control than ones that go into extended-line products.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image


#5 chongcheng

chongcheng

    Posts: 43
    Joined: 20-September 09
    Member: 7494
    Country: Singapore

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:32 AM

View PostAanchir, on 18 September 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

As I understand it, they can't replace Chinese parts if they are from sets that are manufactured 100% in China. In other words, things like the collectible minifigures which are manufactured, packaged, and distributed from the Chinese production facility cannot be replaced, simply because the LEGO Customer Service hub does not have any spare copies of these parts on hand.

Based on this explanation, Chinese-made parts that appear in sets with non-Chinese parts should be able to be replaced. Examples would include the specialized snake head molds and tail molds from the LEGO Ninjago theme. But I'm not 100% certain that this explanation is correct; it's just what I remember hearing.

Where did you get the Dragon shields from, though? Normally my experience with Chinese-made parts' print quality is very good, to the extent that the snake heads and tails from my 9450 Epic Dragon Battle are vastly superior in print quality to the torso pieces that go with them. Of course, it's possible that parts like this that go into mainstream sets get a more extensive quality-control than ones that go into extended-line products.

Those shields are from the Kingdoms chess set - the colors are way way off the mark. A serious problem, if you ask me, much worse than the normal made in China minifigs. There was a review done in Eurobricks on the Kingdoms chess set and my shields have exactly the same issue. Now they are refusing to get it replaced for me...

Well, I don't know. I am just not happy with the way they are handling this.

#6 Aanchir

Aanchir

  • Color Encyclopedia


    Posts: 7792
    Joined: 31-December 09
    Member: 8841
    Country: United States

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:13 AM

View Postchongcheng, on 19 September 2012 - 12:32 AM, said:

Those shields are from the Kingdoms chess set - the colors are way way off the mark. A serious problem, if you ask me, much worse than the normal made in China minifigs. There was a review done in Eurobricks on the Kingdoms chess set and my shields have exactly the same issue. Now they are refusing to get it replaced for me...

Well, I don't know. I am just not happy with the way they are handling this.
If they simply don't have the parts available for shipment then it's not like the particular complaint could be addressed better, but I definitely agree that the lack of availability for some made-in-China parts through Customer Service is probably the biggest risk when it comes to Chinese production. At least if you get a defective part that's made somewhere else you can get it replaced without any hassle.

I've seen some pics of those shield problems, and ironically it seems like they were not even designed to match the older dragon shields. The color is still perfectly vibrant as far as I can tell, it just looks like it's a totally different color. So in that case the blame really should fall on the design/production end of things for not anticipating the problems it would cause collectors. Still, the customer service end of things should try to be more prepared for things like this happening. This is, after all, what they're there for-- addressing customer dissatisfaction and working to prevent similar problems in future products.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image


#7 Sam892

Sam892

    Posts: 1606
    Joined: 04-November 11
    Member: 21426
    Country: England

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

View Postchongcheng, on 18 September 2012 - 05:08 PM, said:

Hi,

I notice LEGO Customer Service always choke when I request for replacement for missing parts/damaged parts from sets that are made In China (E.g. Collectible Minifig Series, Chess sets, etc).

For example - once was for Series 1, my ninja was missing the headgear and another time for Series 6, my skater was missing her legs.

Both times - for the ninja, LEGO sent me a key chain to sort of placate me for the missing part. For the Skater legs, LEGO was also unable to replace it and simply ended giving me a similar leg piece (they claimed it is similar). I am not truly satisfied with what they have done

Then now, recently I claimed 14 ovoid Dragon shields (a severe color problem - that I am 100% sure will fail LEGO QC check for colors, if they actually do it in China) from the 7 Kingdoms chess sets I bought recently. They were unable to replace it again and simply gave an convenient excuse, saying it was discontinued, when it is still selling in my local retail stores.

Is LEGO truly incapable of replacing any missing/faulty parts from sets that are made in China?
I'm having an ongoing battle with customer services at the moment with certain Superhero parts. I bought the cosmic cube set back in April and two days later when on display Ironmans heels had cracked. Lego replaced the part but the same happen again and when I got the quinjet  it happened again. The problem is as I've been having trouble with other sets from star wars and what not they don't believe me anymore. I'm trying to convince them to take the faulty ones back and then send me new ones.

#8 TheLegoDr

TheLegoDr

  • Yellow Panel Expert


    Posts: 4595
    Joined: 18-July 11
    Member: 19128
    Country: USA

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

The big issue being a business they don't want to be taken advantage of. I've had many replacement part requests over the last year that they simply quit replacing them (probably because they think I am trying to take advantage of them instead of TLG just having more QC issues these days). I can only assume many people aren't complaining, therefore it seems odd when certain individuals do complain multiple times. Maybe some of the pieces don't crack for others. I have yet to see my Iron Man crack, but I've had issues with Star Wars printing. I think they are more hesitant when it comes to Licensed, just because they have more money invested in that pot, so a bigger loss is at stake.

I would say be persistent if you really want/need the replacements, but I don't see them budging too easily. I eventually just quit responding to them and if I get faulty parts I guess I will just deal with it. Which is unfortunate.
Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

flickr
See my collection

#9 chongcheng

chongcheng

    Posts: 43
    Joined: 20-September 09
    Member: 7494
    Country: Singapore

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

Is anyone here able to give a definitive answer as to what TLG stance towards replacement or missing/faulty parts?

Long, discontinued sets - can't issue replacement parts for this is probably understandable. LEGO sets aren't made to be kept MISB for too long I suppose.
Currently available sets - I suppose replacement parts is a must, if there are missing parts. No excuses - they will have to replace it no matter what to be fair.
China made sets/stuff, (currently available sets) - I suppose replacement parts is also a must, if they can't, they should find a way to do it. Again, there is no excuse for not doing so.

Be it whether or not people take advantage of the system, I feel they should issue replacement. That is what is expected of a top notch customer service, one that befits LEGO. They asked for receipts to verify the purchases - tedious, but probably acceptable way of stamping out people taking advantage of the system.

I somehow also feel they belittle the quality issues - be it replacement parts or the defects/quality issues in sets/China made stuff. So far, no visible improvements, at least to me. Is it because LEGO is becoming more and more popular and that people just simply kept buying, even with the existing quality issues?

#10 AndyC

AndyC

    Posts: 1239
    Joined: 23-June 09
    Member: 6485

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

FWIW, I bought a MISB 4483 AT-AT a couple of years back and opened it to find one of the old grey technic beams was slightly deformed. Given that it was long out of production and in a colour that had been phased out, I didn't expect much from customer support, but I gave it a go anyway and to my delight was shipped a replacement ASAP. I think that's a sign of how seriously TLG take trying to help their customers if they can.

As to the quality issues, I'm sure they take measures to correct things as they arise. Which doesn't mean that change will ever be instantaneous. And, sometimes, they probably have to accept the practicalities of keeping costs under control means it may be difficult to solve every problem. We, as AFOLs, should certainly play our part in trying to ensure TLG are made aware of problems as and when they arise, but also sometimes have to accept that the level of tolerance we'd all like (and that in the old days TLG pushed for) is sometimes unachievable at the prices we (and others) would be willing to pay.
Posted Image

#11 chongcheng

chongcheng

    Posts: 43
    Joined: 20-September 09
    Member: 7494
    Country: Singapore

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:56 AM

View PostAndyC, on 01 October 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

FWIW, I bought a MISB 4483 AT-AT a couple of years back and opened it to find one of the old grey technic beams was slightly deformed. Given that it was long out of production and in a colour that had been phased out, I didn't expect much from customer support, but I gave it a go anyway and to my delight was shipped a replacement ASAP. I think that's a sign of how seriously TLG take trying to help their customers if they can.

As to the quality issues, I'm sure they take measures to correct things as they arise. Which doesn't mean that change will ever be instantaneous. And, sometimes, they probably have to accept the practicalities of keeping costs under control means it may be difficult to solve every problem. We, as AFOLs, should certainly play our part in trying to ensure TLG are made aware of problems as and when they arise, but also sometimes have to accept that the level of tolerance we'd all like (and that in the old days TLG pushed for) is sometimes unachievable at the prices we (and others) would be willing to pay.

Few years ago - they are great. I acknowledge that too. Whenever I request for a replacement parts - they will be sent out immediately, with no questions asked, not even requesting a receipt. Even if they can't replace it, they sent me a keychain at the very least. That is great of course, but unfortunately, that was also few years ago. Currently, however they are nowhere near that level anymore.

Change won't be instantaneous - another point I agree with. But since the surfacing of the quality problem - it has been more than a couple of years (I certainly believe one don't consider this as instantaneous) and they can't get their act together. Keeping costs under control shouldn't means they have to sacrifice the quality, otherwise, they might have to change the motto "det bedste er ikke for godt".

I differ in the view, that AFOLs are supposed to understand the company's difficulties, so much so that we come to empathise and willingly accept that they have no choice in certain matters (being forced to accept is somewhat a different matter). To keep the cost under control, maintain the excellent quality and keep the company profitable - that is supposed to be the role of the CEO and whoever that is hired to do the jobs. As AFOLs, our role should be to point out what they have done correctly and what they must improve upon. I will never willingly accept inferior quality/customer service, but sad to say, I am often forced to accept it these days. There is no alternative and recourse - frustrations will build up and maybe one day I may just stop buying totally (although that may be quite difficult). From the business perspective, losing one customer is no big deal though  :hmpf_bad:

#12 TheLegoDr

TheLegoDr

  • Yellow Panel Expert


    Posts: 4595
    Joined: 18-July 11
    Member: 19128
    Country: USA

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

I agree completely. The quality has changed over the last few years. The more LEGO I've purchased the more I've come across the issues. Sure, I haven't spent as much as some people, but I know spending 2-3000$ a year on LEGO will cover a lot of variety and notice a lot of the quality issues.

I have considered not buying also, but losing one or two customers isn't going to change anything and there will never be a time when enough people do quit buying it to make a difference. They are netting multiple tens of millions or billions? in profit each year, so what do they care if the product still sells well.
Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

flickr
See my collection

#13 Minifig_Matt

Minifig_Matt

    Posts: 29
    Joined: 20-May 12
    Member: 28703
    Country: Australia

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

I have not had any quality  issues to complain about as I've only started collecting this year but if I did buy a set with broken or faulty parts I would simply take it back o the retailer if I bought in a store. With a receipt here in Australia,  stores are legally obliged to refund/exchange/repair goods that are not fit for use or not as described. Im not sure of the consumer policies in other  countries. I do however understand though that many people have  issues when buying online. It also a bonus when the stores sell off their sets with missing/broken/stolen parts realy cheap!

Also, from what I am hearing there are a number of qc issues with Lego which is a business management issue that could become a bigger problem if things aren't addressed. One of Lego's competitive advantages is their renowned quality, if this compromised then why by Lego over cheaper alternatives? Surely keeping an excess supply of Chinese made parts is possible at a reasonable cost. If after a reasonable time  period the parts can be sold off in Lego stores or donated?

-Minifig Matt

#14 TrumpetKing

TrumpetKing

  • O type hirrobly


    Posts: 1445
    Joined: 20-March 12
    Member: 27420
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Hello!
I tried to get a replacement of the spear piece (My Series 3 Tribal Chief Minifigure is missing his), and neither 8803 nor 8827, the sets where I can get them from are on the Replacement Parts came from, so I had gone to the "The Battle of Helm's Deep" section, and placed a spear from there on my list, but they want a proof of purchase, so should I explain the situation to them, then ask if there is any other way to get the part, since it wasn't originally from a licensed figure? Thanks!
Currently playing as Trevor Knowles, Nuclear Engineer in jamesn and Tamamono's Red Menace Mafia

Isaac - FabuGirl - Trisha - TrumpetKing67 - Diane - Li'l TrumpetKing - Twatty Tittlesteen - Usurper - Tristan Kingsley - Mercutio Robertson - Terrence Knox - Cohost - Tumi "Tumius Aximus" - Mercutio Robertson the Sequel - Tiffany Knightley -  Trevor Knowles

#15 CopMike

CopMike

  • All your baseplate are belong to us


    Posts: 5233
    Joined: 04-January 05
    Member: 148
    Country: Sweden

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

View PostTrumpetKing67, on 16 February 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

.........but they want a proof of purchase, so should I explain the situation to them, then ask if there is any other way to get the part, since it wasn't originally from a licensed figure? Thanks!
Yes - Customer Service 1-800-835-4386.

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide


#16 Legocrazy81

Legocrazy81

    Posts: 4485
    Joined: 12-August 10
    Member: 12542
    Country: USA(California)

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

View PostTheLegoDr, on 02 October 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:


I have considered not buying also, but losing one or two customers isn't going to change anything and there will never be a time when enough people do quit buying it to make a difference. They are netting multiple tens of millions or billions? in profit each year, so what do they care if the product still sells well.

So...because the product is profitable, you think they don't care if it sells well? That doesn't make much sense. If the QC continues to decline in peoples eyes and that word spreads around, people(like has been said here) they'll stop buying. Now, depending on the spending habits of the people who give up on TLG, they may see a dip in profits.
Clone Army-124 & counting...

#17 TheRedGuy

TheRedGuy

    Posts: 550
    Joined: 27-October 10
    Member: 13942

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

Just got replacement parts for my Crug.... The legs are still misprinted.

#18 CopMike

CopMike

  • All your baseplate are belong to us


    Posts: 5233
    Joined: 04-January 05
    Member: 148
    Country: Sweden

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

View PostTheRedGuy, on 22 February 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

Just got replacement parts for my Crug.... The legs are still misprinted.
To the Bat phone Posted ImageCustomer Service 1-800-835-4386!

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide


#19 dvsntt

dvsntt

    Posts: 306
    Joined: 28-December 12
    Member: 35036
    Country: USA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

I recently opened a set 8274 Combine harvester. It was missing 2 little pieces, which I had available in black (instead of red). The set is from 2007, and this is the first time I have ever had missing pieces so I'm not going to worry about it.
My Lego Ideas Project: The Twist and Whirl Ride - A fully motorized minifig scale amusement park ride. Click below to support.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#20 natesroom

natesroom

    Posts: 288
    Joined: 26-February 12
    Member: 26928
    Country: USA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

I've never had any problems

The only problem i had was my minifig bavarian boy didnt have his feather, and they wouldnt send me a replacement feather. I know in fact that the white feather they have to have in stock it been produced since the 1980's...it was pretty disappointing on that one.

#21 Lyichir

Lyichir

    Posts: 1557
    Joined: 17-December 10
    Member: 14738
    Country: USA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

View Postnatesroom, on 25 February 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

I've never had any problems

The only problem i had was my minifig bavarian boy didnt have his feather, and they wouldnt send me a replacement feather. I know in fact that the white feather they have to have in stock it been produced since the 1980's...it was pretty disappointing on that one.

It actually was out of production for some time, and was only put back into production for the Collectible Minifigures. And Lego has repeatedly stated that they can't replace parts from the CMFs. I doubt they have any in stock from pre-CMFs, so Bricklink is probably your best bet.



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users