Kristel

MOD 10228 Haunted House (WIP)

Hi everyone,

I am not into the Monster Fighters theme, but liked to look of the Haunted House and would like one that fits into a city layout. I tried several 32-stud versions, but realised very quickly that I would need to buy a lot more bricks to pull that off. So, I opted for a 16-stud version.

Here is my WIP - there is no interior or backyard, and the back is just a plain wall (no backdoor or windows). I had to make a couple of colour substitutions because I only had a few of the black 1x2 triple slopes and the black and light bluish grey plates with handles.

7990788186_7fab9b6fbf.jpg

7990781905_7c543bae21.jpg

7990781543_334d9be2c1.jpg

I think it's OK, but there is something not right about it. I can't pinpoint it. Anyway, comments, criticisms and suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Kristel

This is really nice. I've been thinking the same as you, wanting to build something like this from this set - although I've been considering 48x32, keeping the manor as a free-standing house in a row of modulars. It's inspiring to see the house being transformed into something less monstrous :)

That looks really fantastic. I'm planning on getting two haunted house so I can display one and build a 16 stud wide modular with the other. I hope mine turns out as good as yours!

Very nice modular in the style of the Haunted House. It looks very. Nice in color and style as a "new" house like the haunted house may have been before the current residents moved in. To make it look more look the haunted house maybe a few "run down" items, like shutters falling off and the like.

All that said, I stil think it is very vice, I like the colors and style, and I also was thinking of doing something similar with a second copy of the "Haunted House" model. I like modulars beter than swing apart, "doll house" style, but I will build one "Haunted House" per the directions.

Also, I am starting to really like the 16 wide modulars more and more. Some structures look good as 32 wide, others look better as 16 wide, kind of like a "row house" style.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Very nice. I would love to do this myself if I can find enough spare pieces or buy some more so I don't need to destroy the official set. It looks fantastic though. :wink::wub:

I think it looks great! You can definitely tell it was modeled after 10228, not just because of the sand green color. You got all the details(major and minor) that give 10228 its look. Aside from the boards on the windows and broken shutters, you nailed it.

This actually looks really great. You managed well turning the haunted house into a 16-wide modular. It looks neat with the detailing on the front facade. Well done! :thumbup:

Hi

very nice. This is exactly why i am going to buy the HH: To use it as base for a modular.

@TO: What bricks your are missing that a 32 stude wide house is not possible? Do you need more sandgreen? If so, i will also order some sandgreen via bricklink too.

Dino

That's really well done! It doesn't appear very haunted anymore, but it's definitely a great piece to have in any modular street. Considering how many people have talked of doing this, I think you're putting down the cornerstone in a new series of different interpretations of that set. ;)

Can I ask something? It looks very much like it, but just to be sure, it is actually modular, right? Also, apart from the pink flowers and the baseplate, have you used any pieces that weren't in the original set? =)

I hope you don't mind that I might just turn to that for inspiration for my own 16-wide modular at some point. =)

Thanks, everyone, for the great comments.

Very nice modular in the style of the Haunted House. It looks very. Nice in color and style as a "new" house like the haunted house may have been before the current residents moved in. To make it look more look the haunted house maybe a few "run down" items, like shutters falling off and the like.

Also, I am starting to really like the 16 wide modulars more and more. Some structures look good as 32 wide, others look better as 16 wide, kind of like a "row house" style.

Andy D

I wanted to make the house look new, before it became run-down and haunted. I have the brown shutters on my Wanted List on BrickLink, but am not convinced that I really need them. They work on the original model because it is meant to be run-down. It might look a bit odd on my version because the shutters will be shorter than the windows.

I am also a fan of the 16 wide modular, as it lets me build more with my limited brick supply and funds! And I like building row houses. Actually, this one would probably look quite nice as a row, maybe in a few colours ... a sand blue one, a tan one and a dark red one, maybe?

Can I ask something? It looks very much like it, but just to be sure, it is actually modular, right? Also, apart from the pink flowers and the baseplate, have you used any pieces that weren't in the original set? =)

Definitely modular. If you have a closer look at the third picture, you can see a row of plates and then a row of tiles above the window. Same with the windows on the first floor. (Oops, just realised I should have put a row of LBG plates before the tiles to finish of the first floor.)

I don't have the Haunted House set, but I didn't need to make too many substitutions. The main one is the bricks. I have used 1x2s with groove, 1x3s and 1x8s in sand green, which don't come in the official set. I don't own any plain 1x2s or 1x6s in sand green. Also, the LGB (side walls on ground floor) and black bricks (side of roof) aren't in the official set. I did a BrickLink order last night to be able to finish off the trims in the right colours, but decided against getting more sand green bricks at this stage. Hopefully, with this set coming out, the price of sand green bricks might come down a bit if I am patient.

I hope you don't mind that I might just turn to that for inspiration for my own 16-wide modular at some point. =)

I don't mind at all.

Again, thanks for the comments, everyone. You have inspired me to finish this one off. Expect to see an update at some stage with the back done and an interior.

Cheers,

Kristel

Thanks, everyone, for the

I am also a fan of the 16 wide modular, as it lets me build more with my limited brick supply and funds! And I like building row houses. Actually, this one would probably look quite nice as a row, maybe in a few colours ... a sand blue one, a tan one and a dark red

Cheers,

Kristel

Much snipping of oiginal message...

I think you are on to something here, your modular would look great in many different colors, I especially like he sand blue and tan, maybe a sand red as well.

Thanks so much for sharing this one with us, it really is teriffic! I hope to see more of this style.

Andy D

I finally got around to finishing off my modified Haunted House, complete with restored furniture. I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

Front of the building:

8081994055_515b603f96_z.jpg

The back:

8081987236_be4e1e0559_z.jpg

Kitchen on the ground floor:

8081991805_1feff7800e_z.jpg

Bedroom on the first floor:

8081989657_0471496212_z.jpg

And the attic:

8081981318_52c6d77762_z.jpg

More photos on Flickr. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kristel, you did a great job with this creation. :thumbup: Haunted house by itself looks very promising for modifications into a more ''new'' town building, and yours looks great as a 16-wide. I can't wait to get my copy of the set.

Hi

Kristel, did you only used the parts comming from the HH? I will start with my regular HH tonight, and after a couple of days i will start making a modular of it, or at least a un-monstered :) version.

I am pretty sure that this set is an awsome base for moccing and or modding, even your are only building alternates without additional parts.

I will also aks the replacement service if they are selling to me sandgreen parts to replace the tan brick parts on the walls.

Dino

Kristel, did you only used the parts comming from the HH?

Hi Dino,

This was made using parts from my loose parts collections. I had a lot of sand green bricks from piecing together the Green Grocer via Bricklink. Hence, the month between the original WIP and final!

The Haunted House is AU $269 + shipping here in Australia (ouch!). I don't have much interest in the minifigures and can live without most of the accessories, so it works out a lot cheaper to just buy the extra parts I need.

Kristel

Edit: I had to make an additional BrickLink order to finish this off. Hence, the month ... (which probably didn't make sense to anyone but me until now).

Edited by Kristel

This is a wonderful creation and a good challenge! You've done it well. The interior photos really add some effects. Your little gramophone is awesome. My favorite part is still the front view, with the details around the doors and windows because at the end it is not to "heavy" but really "light". Well done.

A really wonderful build. Nice job! It works very well as a 16-stud modular.

Thanks, everyone, for the nice comments! Glad you liked it.

This is a wonderful creation and a good challenge! You've done it well. The interior photos really add some effects. Your little gramophone is awesome. My favorite part is still the front view, with the details around the doors and windows because at the end it is not to "heavy" but really "light". Well done.

Unfortunately, I can't take credit for the gramophone, as it's from the official set.

I tried modifying the verandah using the black parts as per the official model, but chose not to in the end because it turned out too "heavy" and made the front entrance quite dark.

Great job.

I wonder if the windows could be detailed a little more, maybe round bricks instead of square for the side frames?