Should Friends have it's own Sub-Forum?

Friends City

22 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Friends have it's own Sub-Forum? (70 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Friends have it's own Forum/Sub-Forum?

1. Yes, It's own Dedicated Forum (18 votes [25.71%])

Percentage of vote: 25.71%

2. Yes, A Sub-Forum in Town (41 votes [58.57%])

Percentage of vote: 58.57%

3. Yes, A Sub-Forum in another Forum (2 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

4. No, It's Fine where it is (9 votes [12.86%])

Percentage of vote: 12.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LegoCityMann

LegoCityMann

• 90 year old scientist

Member: 17769

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

In the interview with the Designers they have stated that Friends is going to be a continuing line. Now that we know that is their plan should friend have it's own forum, a sub forum in city or another forum, or stay as a part of city.

I am just curious. Myself, I would like to see it a sub-forum in city. While I enjoy looking at the Friends designs, It really seems to clutter the city forum when I am looking for city themed ideas.

I also see the positives in giving Friends it's own Stand Alone Forum. It would be easily found place for specifically Friends related topics and builds and make it easier for new people who join specifically for friends related topics.

~LCM
Stoneford: My Modular Town Where I keep a running thread about my modular town, new buildings, and changes to old ones.

#2 Ricecracker

Ricecracker

• Stormed Out

Member: 2221

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

Friends will remain in Town at the moment.

#3 Mr. Elijah Timms

Mr. Elijah Timms

Member: 9973

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

YES!!!!!! PLEEEEEASE give Friends it's own forum! I actually opened the web site thread just in the hope of seeing that I'm not the only one who feels thIs way.

I have absolutely nothing against the Friends theme and it's collectors and fans. I also realize we're in the middle of a Friends-centric seasonal  campaign here at EB. But it has REALLY REALLY taken away from the Town forum experience... It's to the point now that I'm beginning to avoid the Town forum altogether. Maybe it's just me, but the Town forum was a lot more fun before Friends 'took over.'

Now, from a less egocentric, quality control point of view, I would still recommend breaking off Friends into its own destination, simply because the Town forum was already a pretty large and expansive destination in its own right. And it's become increasingly deceptive to navigate between Friends sets and creations and City stuff when users don't properly identify them as such in a thread title. Now with TLG execs using words like "decade" and "here to stay," Friends is obviously not going anywhere. I think it would not hurt the EB Friends enthusiast experience in any way to migrate it into its own location. Besides, shouldn't this site follow the lead of Lego itself, who have clearly gone to great strides to design, depict and market the Friends sets as something entirely independent of Lego City?

EVERYTHING IS OVERPRICED I MEAN AWESOME!!!

#4 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

I'm in two minds with this question.....on one hand trains were moved into it's own forum but on the other hand I'm not sure if trains get a lot of visitors except for train fans/traintech's. :wink:
The Friend's topics in the town forum get a lot of views and comments too so would moving it have effect on it in general ?
I prefer straight out forums than adding sub-forum after sub-forum. :wink:
So I can not tick any boxes right now.....sit on the fence the tiger will on this question. :classic:

Edited by lightningtiger, 05 September 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#5 Hammerstein NWC

Hammerstein NWC

Member: 28710

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

Personally I think it wouldn't hurt to have it's own sub forum, there's a lot of activity at the moment but is this not just due to the amazing competitions that are being run?

I would imagine that while it will still remain popular there would be less builds going up would if the comps had wound down.

That said if they bring out some more mini dolls I can see the activity going back up again! :)

I'm happy with whatevers decided!
Trying to win over a tough crowd at Eurobricks!

Check me out on Flickr!  http://www.flickr.co...os/strawdog316/
Comments criticism and feedback always welcome!

#6 purpleparadox

purpleparadox

Member: 26763

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

I'm fine with where Friends is at the moment - but I do see the reason in it having it's own forum/subforum. Since we have confirmation that Friends will be a long-running theme, I guess a subforum in the Town forum makes sense. Friends is obviously becoming very popular...maybe for the sake of organization it should have a new home.

:shrug_oh_well: I'm sure the Staff know what they're doing. They'll make the right decision! :classic:

Posted Image

#7 Bricksan

Bricksan

• Bib 6126 eats miles

Member: 19010

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

I would prefer it to have it's own dedicated forum. One is it deserves it as the theme is here to stay and very popular and two it's annoying seeing old the Friends topics mixed with Town/City topics.
LEGO Ambassador for UK fans connected to Brick Fanatics

Brick Fanatics - A UK Based LEGO site, daily news from the world of LEGO. Plus we review sets and feature MOC's and much more.

#8 gifinim

gifinim

Member: 16323

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

It's popular enough to have it's own large competitions so why not it's own separate forum?
Posted Image Posted Image

#9 LEGO Guy Bri

LEGO Guy Bri

Member: 13958

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:01 AM

I would like to see Friends in it's own city-subtheme forum. Seeing how LEGO classifies it as a subtheme of City, as well, it seems appropriate . Not to mention, all MOCs and Friend related topics are labeled "Friends" in the titles anyways. It seems like a much simpler easy way for this successful theme   Posted Image
-I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't you tell me how to do what you told me to do... I know when to use finesse

#10 pinioncorp

pinioncorp

Member: 8765

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

I think it should be separated as well, either a sub forum or its own forum, doesn't matter. As it is now, not all Friends themed MOCs are Town related, and it would stop the mix of Friends posts in the other forums. I'll just add that I like Friends, but they are different to the system themes.

Posted Image

#11 TheBoyWonder

TheBoyWonder

• Benji! Did you hear? I'm a Bwobwic Human

Member: 19700

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

I also agree with the notion.

The town forum has become cluttered due to the sheer influx of friends MOCs.
Romulus Dean in Heroica RPG.

#12 Oky

Oky

• RA Anniversary Baker and a Quidditcher

Member: 2028

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

I don't think Friends is big enough here on EB (yet) to have its own forum. I think the recent flourish of Friends MOCs was mainly due to the Summer of Friends building contest and will probably slow down quite a bit now. But while I think it fits into the Town forum fine, I do agree that it is slightly annoying to have Friends-related topics mixed in with Town ones, so a subforum makes sense I think.

#13 just2good

just2good

• Celebrity Pants Wetter

Member: 4916

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

I think it should have a subforum shared with Fabuland.

#14 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

View Postjust2good, on 11 September 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

I think it should have a subforum shared with Fabuland.
That's preposterous. Why?

#15 charlieboy

charlieboy

• chuffed to bits

Member: 7180

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:15 PM

I'd say it deserves its own subforum. Personally I am not a fan so from an entirely selfish point of view, i'd much prefer to not have it taking up so much space in the Town forum. Dont get me wrong, the theme in general is a great idea and my little girl loves it but its not for me and i'd much prefer to have the choice to view Town topics away from all the Friends stuff.

#16 1974

Member: 19654

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:30 PM

I'd say yes!

It's got zip to do with town, it's targeting another demograhpic and it's probably gonna be quite huge. TLG has put a boatload of money and brains into this (and it looks like it's paying off) so I think it could be as big/important as some of the other subforums (it doesn't take much to overrun the scifi section anyway)

So, whynot?

If this forum was created in the mid 80's I'm sure we'd had a Fabuland forum as well  :laugh:

#17 commodore_legolas

commodore_legolas

Member: 23013

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:15 AM

Yes, I think it should have it's own sub-forum in town.

#18 glendo

glendo

Member: 19119

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

not a big talker, daily reader..

the Town/Modular/City range of lego is huge, probably one of or the largest range in the legoverse.. yet it has to share with the friends range, a small, niche boutique theme.

- SW and classic space do not share a sub forum

- Trains (which would be used in and part of towns and use minifigs) have their own sub forum

- other than the bricks it has no compatibilty with city/town sets

im just raising a point that it's small enough to perhaps be relocated in the licensed forums topic, as this sub section is big and busy enough just to be town/city/focused...IMO Modular range is actually popular enough to almost have it's own sub-forum.

does anyone agree/disagree at all?

/rant
Posted Image

#19 paostmo

paostmo

Member: 8014

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

I enjoy having town/modular/friends all in the same forum.  I don't venture outside of the town forum very often, so I am able to see a lot more MOCs when they are all located here.

#20 TheLegoDr

TheLegoDr

• Yellow Panel Expert

Member: 19128

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

But Friends is LEGO's IP, not a license, so it wouldn't belong in the Licensed area. I'm sure the moderators discussed this when Friends first came available and Town (IMO also) is the best place for them since they are town related with their shops and houses, etc.

I check out almost all of the forums, so I'd come across it anyway, but I think Town is the best fit for what Friends represents. Plus, it adds variety to this forum.
Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

flickr
See my collection

#21 ResIpsaLoquitur

ResIpsaLoquitur

Member: 33632

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

For what it's worth, my daughter and I cross over Friends with City all the time.  They both have comparably-scaled cars, buildings, animals, etc.  The Friends are slightly taller, but that doesn't bother us--particularly since their hair and headgear is interachangeable.

#22 5150 Lego

5150 Lego

• Has a ball of string and isn't afraid to use it

Member: 586

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

Friends are not a licensed theme like Star wars, Ferrari, Harry Potter etc.  Its TLC's own made up line and wouldn't fit well within that sub forum.
It is a town of sorts and many of the elements could be incorporated in a modern day town setting without  looking to out of place.
Calm down... HAVE SOME DIP!

If at first you don't succeed,........ Then skydiving is not for you!

Check it out! www.emergencybricks.com

#23 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Member: 11254

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

We already have a thread to discuss this. I'll merge them...

...done.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Friends, City

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users