17 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of this set?

• Outstanding
    • Great
    • Ok
    • Lacking
    • Useless

1972-1.jpg

Set 1972 was released in 1985 as a promotional set, and was only availible in the USA. No other Technic sets were released that year. (Thanks Technicopedia) It is a basic Go-Kart consisting of 98 pieces, sporting steering and not much else. The engine is only for decoration purposes.

The average price on BL for this set is about 12$. I can't remember what I paid for it, but I think it was about the same.

tn_dscn2602.jpg

tn_dscn2603.jpg

The instructions spans over six pages, and features the axle measurements on the front page. I've stopped using this because I've built so many sets over the past year (:classic:). The back of the instructions shows the models feature.

tn_dscn2604.jpg

So, a look at the pieces, we see a lot of plates, 8 sets of wheels (the same ones used in the 8815 gokart), some axles and pneumatic tubing. The only gears included is a rack and a 16T gear.

tn_dscn2605.jpg

tn_dscn2606.jpg

tn_dscn2607.jpg

We begin with the base which consists of mainly plates and technic bricks.

tn_dscn2608.jpg

tn_dscn2609.jpg

The steering wheel holder is placed at step 4.

tn_dscn2610.jpg

tn_dscn2611.jpg

Left side complete.

tn_dscn2612.jpg

I don't know what these axles on the sides are for, but they enhance the look of the model.

tn_dscn2613.jpg

tn_dscn2614.jpg

Now behold the high-tec motor, along with the complete steering rack.

tn_dscn2615.jpg

tn_dscn2616.jpg

tn_dscn2617.jpg

A "Minifig Utensil, Space Gun / Torch" is used to hold the pneumatic tubing in place.

tn_dscn2618.jpg

tn_dscn2619.jpg

tn_dscn2620.jpg

This was the first vehicle to use the hinge plates to make a folding seat.

Now the steering wheel. It's attached to the "Axle and pin connector" for a fixed angle.

tn_dscn2621.jpg

tn_dscn2622.jpg

tn_dscn2623.jpg

Lastly, adding wheels.

tn_dscn2624.jpg

Finished!

tn_dscn2625.jpg

tn_dscn2627.jpg

Comparison with it's predecessor, 854, and the later 8815 Speed Bandit. The speed bandit has a slightly lower wheel distance, allowing tighter turns.

tn_dscn2628.jpg

You can't really compare it size-wise with 854.

tn_dscn2629.jpg

Thanks for looking/reading. Vote on the poll, and give me some feedback.

Bigger pics availible @ BrickShelf

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

I remember this set being sold in Germany, too. It has been advertised as kind of "getting started with Lego Technic" for only DM 12,95, while the smallest official set 8020 was priced DM 19,95 back in those days.

A friend of mine bought it, because he was mainly interested in the knights theme, but he wanted to try something else.

But he didn't like it, so we swapped :-) I got 1972 with box, he got some other Lego parts.

That's a pretty good set, I think lego should release another set this scale. How does 8815 have a better turning radius?

I used to have the red one, when you are young it's amazing what fun you can have with such a simple toy, so I look at these karts quite fondly and rate them high because of it.

That's a pretty good set, I think lego should release another set this scale. How does 8815 have a better turning radius?

Because it has a shorter wheelbase.