Jump to content


SoF: Stephanie's Cool Submersible


17 replies to this topic

#1 TAFOL

TAFOL

    Posts: 108
    Joined: 02-April 12
    Member: 27725
    Country: Holland

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

Last February, when I bought set 3183 Stephanie's Cool Convertible, I always wanted to modify it. It was only that I didn't know how. Or at least, that was until last May, when I had built a submersible out of Stephanie's convertible for this contest on Lowlug.nl. However, it still didn't look finished to me. So when the Summer of Friends-contest came along, I took this opportunity to build a 32x32 stud diorama (see the clickable photos below) around it to top it off.

Hopefully, you guys will like this build. Enjoy!

Posted Image

To incorporate a fun play feature, I decided to build an exploding rock as part of this diorama. Just flip the red switch at the base of the rock and a part of the top comes off, revealing a treasure underneath!

Posted Image

And last but not least, here's a close-up of Stephanie's Cool Submersible and the Squid Warrior, who is guarding the treasure from intruders.

Posted Image

You can view the rest of the photos right here. :wink:

#2 Amset-Rah

Amset-Rah

    Posts: 422
    Joined: 21-September 11
    Member: 20560
    Country: United States

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:25 AM

Great job! I love the little play feature you made there, plus the details like the schools of fish hanging around. I guess Steph's convertible has some Bond-like elements at play, huh?  I love it.
Posted Image

#3 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

  • Doing the Chicken Dance


    Posts: 19046
    Joined: 28-October 09
    Member: 7997
    Country: Australia

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:39 AM

AWESOME MOC 'TAFOL', lots of fish there eh ? :wink:
Brick On with your Friend's 'TAFOL' ! :grin:

#4 TAFOL

TAFOL

    Posts: 108
    Joined: 02-April 12
    Member: 27725
    Country: Holland

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

View PostAmset-Rah, on 13 August 2012 - 03:25 AM, said:

Great job! I love the little play feature you made there, plus the details like the schools of fish hanging around. I guess Steph's convertible has some Bond-like elements at play, huh?  I love it.
Actually, I got inspired to do this little play feature by this Aqua Raiders-set. I just liked it that much. :wink:

Bond-like elements, you say? I guess I hadn't thought about that before. But now that you mention it, I guess it does have some Bond-like elements to it. :grin:

View Postlightningtiger, on 13 August 2012 - 04:39 AM, said:

AWESOME MOC 'TAFOL', lots of fish there eh ? :wink:
Brick On with your Friend's 'TAFOL' ! :grin:
Thanks for the compliments. I can't help but listen to the soundtrack of Finding Nemo all day, LOL. :laugh:

#5 Legogal

Legogal

    Posts: 1086
    Joined: 09-January 12
    Member: 23979
    Country: US

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

Wow! This such a cool submersible!
I was looking through old aqua raider instructions yesterday and see how this could be handy. It is so creative and fun to look at. The fish on the wall of water are just amazing!
Congrats on such a delightful diorama for our Friends!

#6 purpleparadox

purpleparadox

    Posts: 1610
    Joined: 20-February 12
    Member: 26763
    Country: Canada

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

Great entry! I love the landscaping and the background with the water and fish. :thumbup: Good luck!

Posted Image


#7 TheLegoDr

TheLegoDr

  • Yellow Panel Expert


    Posts: 4327
    Joined: 18-July 11
    Member: 19128
    Country: USA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

Brilliant build. A worthy entry to the contest. I really like the fish swimming and the background landscaping. And the vehicle definitely is a nice touch. I was trying to come up with something different for the contest and in no way would I come up with something this clever.

Good luck!
Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

flickr
See my collection

#8 TAFOL

TAFOL

    Posts: 108
    Joined: 02-April 12
    Member: 27725
    Country: Holland

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

View PostLegogal, on 13 August 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

Wow! This such a cool submersible!
I was looking through old aqua raider instructions yesterday and see how this could be handy. It is so creative and fun to look at. The fish on the wall of water are just amazing!
Congrats on such a delightful diorama for our Friends!
Thanks. When I was about to start building Stephanie's sub back in May, I had already figured out that I needed this part for the propeller arms. So I bricklinked them through a fellow Lowlug-member. The only doubt I had was how they'd look on Stephanie's purple sub, so I'm glad you like them. :sweet:  

View Postpurpleparadox, on 13 August 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

Great entry! I love the landscaping and the background with the water and fish. :thumbup: Good luck!
Thank you. Have you participated in this contest too? Or are you planning to? Please let me know. :classic:

View PostTheLegoDr, on 13 August 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

Brilliant build. A worthy entry to the contest. I really like the fish swimming and the background landscaping. And the vehicle definitely is a nice touch. I was trying to come up with something different for the contest and in no way would I come up with something this clever.

Good luck!
Many thanks. You're making me blush. :blush:

When I was building this MOC, I discovered that I'm quite good at creating landscapes. Maybe I'll build more of them in the future, but time will only tell... :wink:

Edited by TAFOL, 13 August 2012 - 09:47 PM.


#9 Darkdragon

Darkdragon

  • Destroyed Dreams of Super-Santa


    Posts: 5109
    Joined: 22-November 10
    Member: 14331
    Country: USA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

Really cute vignette. Love the water wall with the rock and fishes. :thumbup:

My favorite image:
Posted Image

#10 DraikNova

DraikNova

  • Exploded Brains.


    Posts: 4308
    Joined: 20-April 12
    Member: 28078
    Country: Ninjago

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

I like it a bit.
Ninjago. The only place where robot octopods, purple cyborg dragons and magical chainsaws are to be expected.

My MOCpages
Galaxy Squad Set Suggestions

#11 Kai NRG

Kai NRG

  • Propping up Historica's freedom


    Posts: 3238
    Joined: 14-April 12
    Member: 27955
    Country: Chile/USA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

Nice!  Funny how you did an underwater scene . . . I'm doing one too (although toatlly different) for the Animal catagory.  :laugh:

Ageven Deraim, Lord of Auner, Representative of Qarkyr, Graduated Doctor of Petraea University, Vice Admiral of Kaliphlin Fleet

_Posted Image___Posted Image___Posted Image___Posted Image

--Check out the Guilds of Historica!--gid617--Flickr--The Brick Blogger--

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved, and your house."


#12 TAFOL

TAFOL

    Posts: 108
    Joined: 02-April 12
    Member: 27725
    Country: Holland

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

View PostDraikNova, on 15 August 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

I like it a bit.
Thanks. :blush:

View PostKai NRG, on 15 August 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

Nice!  Funny how you did an underwater scene . . . I'm doing one too (although toatlly different) for the Animal catagory.  :laugh:
That's quite a coincidence. I'm curious to see what your entry is going to look like. :classic:

#13 soccerkid6

soccerkid6

  • Mitgardia's moccing machine


    Posts: 5705
    Joined: 03-October 11
    Member: 20775
    Country: USA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

Great job, the background really makes it feel underwater  :thumbup: Nice landscaping and the submersible is really neat, I especially like the arms on the front  :classic:
Sir Glorfindel of Mitgardia, Architect Regent of Valholl, Officer of Valholl, Treasurer of the Valholl Mason's guild, Economic Titan, Knight of Valholl, Mason Teacher, Shadow Rider, Gentlefolk, in the Guilds of Historica
Here is my website: http://brickbuilt.org
My flickr: link
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

#14 Trijntje

Trijntje

    Posts: 13
    Joined: 13-August 12
    Member: 30185
    Country: the Netherlands

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:40 PM

Great MOC!  :thumbup:

#15 TAFOL

TAFOL

    Posts: 108
    Joined: 02-April 12
    Member: 27725
    Country: Holland

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:12 AM

View Postsoccerkid6, on 15 August 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

Great job, the background really makes it feel underwater  :thumbup: Nice landscaping and the submersible is really neat, I especially like the arms on the front  :classic:
Thanks. It's funny that you mention the arms as a friend of mine said it resembled Doc Ock's mechanical arms. :wink:

View PostTrijntje, on 24 August 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

Great MOC!  :thumbup:
Thanks for the compliment. I really appreciate it. :blush:

#16 Kai NRG

Kai NRG

  • Propping up Historica's freedom


    Posts: 3238
    Joined: 14-April 12
    Member: 27955
    Country: Chile/USA

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

View PostTAFOL, on 15 August 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

That's quite a coincidence. I'm curious to see what your entry is going to look like. :classic:
Mine is posted here, if you haven't seen it yet.   :classic:

Edit: Just noticed that you posted a comment there  :blush:

Edited by Kai NRG, 25 August 2012 - 08:06 PM.

Ageven Deraim, Lord of Auner, Representative of Qarkyr, Graduated Doctor of Petraea University, Vice Admiral of Kaliphlin Fleet

_Posted Image___Posted Image___Posted Image___Posted Image

--Check out the Guilds of Historica!--gid617--Flickr--The Brick Blogger--

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved, and your house."


#17 brickie

brickie

    Posts: 211
    Joined: 18-September 11
    Member: 20503
    Country: Australia

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:49 PM

Fantastic MOC.

I like the way that you have incorporated elements from the old underwater sets.

Great job.  :thumbup:

#18 TAFOL

TAFOL

    Posts: 108
    Joined: 02-April 12
    Member: 27725
    Country: Holland

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

View PostKai NRG, on 25 August 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

Mine is posted here, if you haven't seen it yet.   :classic:

Edit: Just noticed that you posted a comment there  :blush:
Great entry and awesome vignette! :thumbup:
I can't wait to find out who of us is going to win. :wink:

View Postbrickie, on 02 September 2012 - 11:49 PM, said:

Fantastic MOC.

I like the way that you have incorporated elements from the old underwater sets.

Great job.  :thumbup:
Thank you. :blush:

I actually had to Bricklink some of the elements to finish my entry, so I'm glad you're liking it.
I especially am fond of the mix of yellow and medium lavender. Those colors make great Easter colors. :wink:



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users