General Magma

General Magma's LOTR Figures

Most recently updated on: February 1st, 2017

(My newer customs can be found on page 3)

Custom figures posted here so far:

-
Aragorn (Strider)

- Gandalf the Grey
- Frodo Baggins
- Samwise Gamgee

- Meriadoc "Merry" Brandybuck
- Legolas
- Gimli

Gothmog, orc lieutenant
- Guritz, orc lieutenant
- Grishnákh, orc captain
- Orc Whipmaster
- Orc Inspector
- Mouth of Sauron
- King of the Dead
- Dead Men of Dunharrow (batch #1)
- Sméagol 

- Rohirrim, soldiers of Rohan (batch #1, #2, #3 and #4)
- Orcs of Mordor (batch #1, #2 and #3)
- Orcs of Moria (batch #1) and Moria Orc Swordsman

Since this topic was started in 2012, this first post (and the custom figures in it) became rather outdated, so I decided to add this new section to the post

to give you a much better impression of what to expect from my newer LOTR customs. The following image is of Gothmog, a figure I completed on the 9th of January, 2017,
as well as my Strider version of Aragorn, completed on the 1st of February 2017:

32516219561_16dd52abac_c.jpg

32095089521_a387a93cee_c.jpg

Other than that, I also make plenty of army-related figures, including these Rohirrim from early 2016:

25018909776_63d183f346_z.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The Post That Started It" - from August 11th, 2012:

Hello everybody!

10 months ago (at the moment of writing), I officially got into the LOTR theme and began creating an army of orcs. There have been 11 batches of orc figures in my Flickr photostream since then,

with most of them having been updated and improved over time. Currently, the army consists of more than 40 orcs. Since non-purist customizing on those has started recently, I will post pictures of those along with some of the purist orcs over time. But, for today, I will show you a quarter of my current army of Rohirrim soldiers.

As you can see, one of them is a hooded Rohan soldier - the rest of them are equipped with proper helmets. The one to the far left was the first custom soldier I made back in May. The rest of 'em are more recent.

Soldiers of Rohan #1

7760134008_f61ff8003f.jpg

7190259870_c03bc6d5d7.jpg

For those who do not know or remember the hooded Rohan soldier, this is what it's based on:

Rohirrim.png

___________________________________________________________________________________________

___________________________________________________________________________________________

See more views of these (including stand-alone pics of each) under the picture in my Flickr photostream.

You can also start browsing from there to see the orc batches I have posted on Flickr so far.

Enjoy these for now, C&C is welcome. :classic:

Edited by General Magma

They look pretty good! :classic: I like the one with the chain mail on his head the best because he is so much different then anything you made or that TLG gave us! Keep it up I look forward to seeing more :sweet:

I really like the shield, the fact that's it's painted on makes it more realistic. I also love your helmets, and that chainmail fellow is great! :thumbup:

Really good, though if possible I would give the 3 troops with helmets TLG's Rohan Soldier helmet. Overall great :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks - I wanted to have lots of variety within the Rohirrim army, since many soldiers wore differently shaped helmets, etc.

Currently, I only possess one of the official soldiers, but I'm planning to get some more of those helmets of theirs later on.

I've been thinking of painting them all, but I feel like I should keep the one I have now untouched.

Edited by General Magma

Good day!

Wanted to share with you all the first batch of orcs in this topic.

My Flickr photostream has a total of 13 batches of orcs, 4 or 5 of them coming with each picture.

Many of them have been improved and upgraded over time, and there's a total of 45 orcs right now. These are among the first customized ones (#3 is purist):

Orcs - Batch 13

7844989746_f7bc2eb8a7.jpg

For a better look at these, click the first picture.

To see the other 12 batches besides this one, check the description beneath the picture on Flickr. Followed by that there are solo pics of all four.

C&C is welcome as always - if you could rate the orcs from left to right along with suggestions on how to improve them, I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks in advance, and enjoy! :classic:

No comments for those? Oh well, here again with another batch of orcs...

Orcs - Batch 14

7851481612_5d9c32ed7c.jpg

As you can see, this time there are three painted faces (two fully painted heads, one just received some add-ons like an "orcish" nose and orange eyes,

with some dirt on the bare chest - along with a painted shield to resemble the Eye of Mordor emblem). As usual,

more pics if you click on the above picture to go to Flickr (underneath the batch #14 pic), and other orc batches are linked to in the description.

C&C is welcome as always.

Thanks, and hope you enjoy. More orcs should be coming in the next few weeks, along with Rohirrim.

This latest batch of Orcs looks really cool. :thumbup: I can see them chaotically sweeping across the plains, destroying everything in sight.

Thanks! They sure would.

I might make some named characters or non-generic characters like the bow master in Helm's Deep if they don't appear in their corresponding sets. (The bow master doesn't, so that's one...)

I hope we'll eventually get to see the rest of the possible figures in sets too, though, but the creation of named characters is still an idea in the back of my head for now.

These Orcs are looking really good. Will you be making Elves?

Thanks. Hmmm... elves.. I don't know. Pretty much depends on what Elves.

I'm kinda waiting for TLG to do Lothlorien Elves themselves, and since I've got a Helm's Deep MOC project planned for the future,

those will be needed.

Do you paint warhammer? These are ridiculously good paint jobs.

Thank you! :classic:

Nope, I don't paint any Warhammer figurines, though several of my Rohan soldiers were inspired by some Warhammer versions.

Most of the figures from the first batches of this topic were marked as my comeback to customizing, and were the first attempts at it using Revell paint.

Thanks again - so as for now... allow me to present to you the very next batch of Rohan soldiers, including a new shield design!

Soldiers of Rohan #2

7944227550_429659af4a.jpg

I thought the shield turned out great! I think you might've seen the design it's based on before.

All the helmets are painted, the first three completely, and the one to the far right just has additional silver lines. Tried a new design for a helmet as well,

since I wanted to have more variation. And if you have a very keen eye, you may be able to spot a bit of rustiness on the helmet painted with a lighter brown.

For individual pics of the figures, have a look at the bonus pictures under the pic in my Flickr photostream.

C&C is welcome as always.

Thanks, and enjoy! Any suggestions as for the next Rohan shield design, or perhaps things regarding certain figures?

A source of inspiration for a new orc based on an actual (preferably unnamed) orc? Go ahead and toss in your suggestions! :classic:

These are really nice customs, the later orc designs and most of all, your Rohan ones I could totally see cutting eachother down at the Black Gate. :laugh:

My favorite's definitely the chainmail hooded guy in the first picture - since you'd consider doing specific figures, might I suggest Hama or Gamling? Also, perhaps you'd think about making a banner for the Rohan soldiers, like in orc batch 10? :thumbup:

These are really nice customs, the later orc designs and most of all, your Rohan ones I could totally see cutting eachother down at the Black Gate. :laugh:

My favorite's definitely the chainmail hooded guy in the first picture - since you'd consider doing specific figures, might I suggest Hama or Gamling? Also, perhaps you'd think about making a banner for the Rohan soldiers, like in orc batch 10? :thumbup:

Thanks! Well hey, that might be something for me to do in the farther future. By then the armies will have grown to huge proportions...

I think I could make Háma, yes. Dunno about Gamling since they had a figure of him in the video game,

and there's a chance of him appearing in a set later on, but I doubt we'll see Háma otherwise.

Named AND/OR non-generic characters I'm currently planning to make:

- Háma

- Old soldier in Helm's Deep (upsetter of the Uruks)

- Guritz (orc with skull on his head, if there won't be an official one)

Edited by General Magma

Hello all! No new posts since my last one, so excuse me for the double post.

I'd like to present to you something new - something I've been planning to do for quite a long time. Finally got to it...

Which is, 'digital designs' of possible future LOTR figures. I'm making them in a way TLG probably would, and here's the first one...

Denethor, Steward of Gondor

1efbd9cc627faf66e0373f11c5e41af4.png?1347541106

That's just a first for now.

Next I might have some orc designs up besides real figures in the future, so stay tuned!

Edited by General Magma

Hello all! No new posts since my last one, so excuse me for the double post.

I'd like to present to you something new - something I've been planning to do for quite a long time. Finally got to it...

Which is, 'digital designs' of possible future LOTR figures. I'm making them in a way TLG probably would, and here's the first one...

Denethor, Steward of Gondor

1efbd9cc627faf66e0373f11c5e41af4.png?1347541106

That's just a first for now.

Next I might have some orc designs up besides real figures in the future, so stay tuned!

That looks awesome General Magma. :)

Can't wait to see more.

~ Jake Burklin

That looks awesome General Magma. :)

Can't wait to see more.

~ Jake Burklin

Thanks! Gothmog will be up next.

Your digital design looks fantastic! :sweet:

Do you have a blank template for minifig designs? I'd love to try my hand at making some myself. :classic:

Thanks. :classic:

And yes, I do have a template - it's the same size as the Denethor figure:

82b5459e4f95d43b7bf015b8005fee6a.png?1347661616

And here's digital design number two... any suggestions for the next one?

Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul

34fdd0f1a68f987910c300187de2d336.png?1347719021

His head would be a regular minifig head, alongside a headpiece like the ones from the most recent

Frankenstein's monster figures, the elves and the new orcs.

The darker shade of grey on the torso and legs is pearl dark grey, only used it on prints, helmets, shields, swords and other pieces,

but no arms, so that's why the other arm is the usual dark bluish grey.

C&C welcome as always - stay tuned for more!

Edited by General Magma