Jump to content


Reprint of <The LEGO book> by Daniel Lipkowitz


22 replies to this topic

#1 happymark

happymark

    Posts: 190
    Joined: 23-February 10
    Member: 9684

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

is there anybody got this Reprint of <The LEGO book> by Daniel Lipkowitz?
http://www.amazon.co.../dp/0756666937/
it is listed as same book as first version. not sure how much different it would have..
Posted Image

Edited by happymark, 08 August 2012 - 04:00 PM.


#2 Fugazi

Fugazi

  • Welcome to Eurobricks. How can I help you?


    Posts: 3948
    Joined: 08-January 10
    Member: 8966
    Country: Canada

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

I don't have details but the new edition has 56 more pages according to this. So I would expect updates and possibly some new features.
Playing as Sammy Sycamore in Walter Kovacs' Unrest in the Forest Mafia

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#3 happymark

happymark

    Posts: 190
    Joined: 23-February 10
    Member: 9684

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

Fugazi, thank you!
that means about 1/4 more pages (256 vs 200). not bad for $15.. quite attempting.

View PostFugazi, on 08 August 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

I don't have details but the new edition has 56 more pages according to this. So I would expect updates and possibly some new features.


#4 LEGO Guy Bri

LEGO Guy Bri

    Posts: 3020
    Joined: 28-October 10
    Member: 13958
    Country: X

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

D**n, I just bought a lightly used 2009 copy last month for $15. I guess a new one won't be bad for the same price. Though, a few things are a bit puzzling: First, my 2009 copy came in a cardboard sleeve with two books (I haven't gone through them cover to cover, yet). Second the new one, according to Amazon, has a publication date in 11 days (Aug. 20, 2012). I am not that familiar with book publications, but is that a typo or just something that is normal?  Posted Image
-I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't you tell me how to do what you told me to do... I know when to use finesse

#5 happymark

happymark

    Posts: 190
    Joined: 23-February 10
    Member: 9684

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

I think Amazon messes up.

2009 copy has 2 books (The LEGO book and a minifigure book). $15 for like new for both are not bad!

View PostLego Guy Bri, on 09 August 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

D**n, I just bought a lightly used 2009 copy last month for $15. I guess a new one won't be bad for the same price. Though, a few things are a bit puzzling: First, my 2009 copy came in a cardboard sleeve with two books (I haven't gone through them cover to cover, yet). Second the new one, according to Amazon, has a publication date in 11 days (Aug. 20, 2012). I am not that familiar with book publications, but is that a typo or just something that is normal?  Posted Image


#6 LEGO Guy Bri

LEGO Guy Bri

    Posts: 3020
    Joined: 28-October 10
    Member: 13958
    Country: X

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

View Posthappymark, on 09 August 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

I think Amazon messes up.

2009 copy has 2 books (The LEGO book and a minifigure book). $15 for like new for both are not bad!

A pleasant surprise indeed, but exactly why I took the bait Posted ImagePosted Image

The new one just arrived today. I'll check and compare them this weekend  Posted Image
-I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't you tell me how to do what you told me to do... I know when to use finesse

#7 GRogall

GRogall

  • Firmly in place and absolutely straight

    Posts: 1286
    Joined: 05-February 08
    Member: 2674
    Country: Germany

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

The new edition of "The Lego® Book" does have more pages and also cover new products like the CMF's

Posted Image

what else has changed is not known at the moment but here some pages!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image


#8 legolijntje

legolijntje

    Posts: 2119
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11214
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

I just ordered the new version and I already have the old version, but because I needed an other book from Amazon.com, I just took this one too to save shipping costs (and it was on sale). Only disadvantage; shipping time is about 3 weeks, because I don't live in the usa :grin:

So, I can't compare them yet...

#9 happymark

happymark

    Posts: 190
    Joined: 23-February 10
    Member: 9684

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

i got the book. love it so far.
feel more complete (of course) that the first version...
(but I am afraid it will be out of dated soon .. :( )

View PostLego Guy Bri, on 11 August 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

A pleasant surprise indeed, but exactly why I took the bait Posted ImagePosted Image

The new one just arrived today. I'll check and compare them this weekend  Posted Image


#10 TeufelHund

TeufelHund

    Posts: 452
    Joined: 01-January 11
    Member: 15073

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:39 AM

I just saw this was out at Amazon.com - has anyone snagged a copy and if so can you tell me what the differences are between this and the 2009 version. Bascially, is it different enough to warrant a purchase or basically the same with a few new themes added?

#11 Fugazi

Fugazi

  • Welcome to Eurobricks. How can I help you?


    Posts: 3948
    Joined: 08-January 10
    Member: 8966
    Country: Canada

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

This question has been answered here, so I will be merging the threads shortly. :classic:
Playing as Sammy Sycamore in Walter Kovacs' Unrest in the Forest Mafia

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#12 legolijntje

legolijntje

    Posts: 2119
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11214
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

View PostFugazi, on 28 August 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

This question has been answered here, so I will be merging the threads shortly. :classic:

You're linking to the same topic  *huh*  :tongue:

#13 Fugazi

Fugazi

  • Welcome to Eurobricks. How can I help you?


    Posts: 3948
    Joined: 08-January 10
    Member: 8966
    Country: Canada

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

View Postlegolijntje, on 28 August 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

You're linking to the same topic *huh* :tongue:
That's because they're merged now, smarty-pants! :tongue:
Playing as Sammy Sycamore in Walter Kovacs' Unrest in the Forest Mafia

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#14 legolijntje

legolijntje

    Posts: 2119
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11214
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

View PostFugazi, on 28 August 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

That's because they're merged now, smarty-pants! :tongue:

Well, I don't actually know or see what you merged  :sceptic:
Maybe something went wrong, because this could be merged with this topic too.

Anyway, I'm just forum user, it doesn't matter to me  :wink:

Edited by legolijntje, 28 August 2012 - 04:20 PM.


#15 LEGO Historian

LEGO Historian

  • Older than ABS


    Posts: 1183
    Joined: 26-April 07
    Member: 1550
    Country: USA

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

View PostGRogall, on 11 August 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

The new edition of "The Lego® Book" does have more pages and also cover new products like the CMF's


what else has changed is not known at the moment but here some pages!

Posted Image

Ewwww.....  it's been over 35 years since THE WORLD OF LEGO TOYS came out, and 13 years since THE ULTIMATE LEGO BOOK... yet ever book that comes out still has an erroneous timeline for the early years...

1) 1949 - first LEGO BRICKS - those slots on the sides of the 1949 introduce bricks were for.... windows and doors... which were also introduced in 1949.

2) 1953 -  "first LEGO baseplate"??  Nope.... that came out a few years before in 1950... same dimensions (10x20), but thinner.

3) 1954 - "beams" (OK they got that right... the 2x8 and 2x10 were introduced that year).... "windows"??  The first windows (different look) were introduced in 1949, and the one shown here was introduced in 1956.

4) 1955 -  "trees".... yes they were introduced in 1955... but in a different (1950s) style.  In 1960 new thicker trees style came out... and in 1965 these same tree styles started having hollow bases to attach to baseplates (earlier ones had a flat bottom)... so these displayed trees date to 1965-70....  "small plastic vehicles".... yes the 8 Bedford 1:87 scale trucks were introduced in 1955... but the shown cyclist was a group of 5 introduced a year later in 1956.


5) 1957 "Flags and light bricks"... bingo!!  They got it right... they were introduced in November 1957.

6) 1963 "One third elements".... plates... actually introduced in 1955 in 5 "waffle" bottom" sizes... and small plates (1x1, 1x2, 2x2, 2x3, 2x4) were introduced in the fall of 1962.


7) 1966 "4.5V Train Motors"... yes they were introduced in the summer of 1966... BUT in the fall of 1965 USA and Canada Samsonite had the first LEGO motor for use with wheels and gears... granted... not a train motor.

8) 1970 "Cogwheel"..... ummmmm in the fall of 1965 the 001 USA/Canada Gear Set had the first "Cogwheel"...

For you folks who got my 2800 page LEGO DVD downloads.... the Timeline in Chapter 1 is correct... Posted Image
LEGO "Smarty Pants Extraordinaire" for 54 years!   Can be Emailed at:  istok.gary@gmail.com

Facebook:  
https://www.facebook...ets.Parts.Guide

http://legocollectorsguide.weebly.com/

Posted Image

#16 LEGO Historian

LEGO Historian

  • Older than ABS


    Posts: 1183
    Joined: 26-April 07
    Member: 1550
    Country: USA

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:07 AM

I know that I am "sort of" (lol) biased about LEGO history in other peoples (LEGO Sponsored) work when there are errors... but it has always baffled me when even LEGO employees admit that they know things are not totally correct in LEGO sponsored media...  and yet it keeps remaining wrong in future media...

But I just have to roll my eyes when TLG won't fix its' own faux pas....   I pitied the poor Fantasia book people (THE LEGO COLLECTORS GUIDE in English/German)... they must have been frustrated a few times at TLG.  For example... 1/2 of everything listed under year 1963 in the first version of their guide was introduced in another year!  I helped the Fantasia folks out in their second edition... on a few items... because the TLG team told them to ask me??   Posted Image

The problem is that the LEGO Archives prior to 1970... they are a little bit on the skimpy side... and sometimes the interpretations of what was written by someone 50 or more years ago.... is interpreted differently today...

Or maybe I'm the one that's insane... after all isn't one definition of insanity.... "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?"  Posted Image

But then again... maybe TLG is not really to blame... the folks at Geas Konstharts Plastics company in Sweden today didn't even know that they produced LEGO for southern Sweden from 1950-51 (I have proof they did!).  And the folks at Svein Strømberg & Co. in Oslo Norway... they knew they did produce LEGO from 1953-61... they just don't know what... lol.

And therein lies another problem... 50+ years ago Norway, Sweden, USA and Canada (and to a lesser degree UK, Ireland and Australia)... all produced LEGO items that TLG Denmark wasn't totally aware of...

Edited by LEGO Historian, 30 August 2012 - 07:34 AM.

LEGO "Smarty Pants Extraordinaire" for 54 years!   Can be Emailed at:  istok.gary@gmail.com

Facebook:  
https://www.facebook...ets.Parts.Guide

http://legocollectorsguide.weebly.com/

Posted Image

#17 legolijntje

legolijntje

    Posts: 2119
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11214
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:32 AM

My copy of the updated version of the book just arrived, and of course the quealuty is very good (as all DK books), but I don't understand why they didn't make a new foreword. I mean; it's the same as in the old version, it feels a bit cheap.

But all in all, it's a good book  :classic:

#18 Aanchir

Aanchir

  • Color Encyclopedia


    Posts: 7728
    Joined: 31-December 09
    Member: 8841
    Country: United States

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

I have seen this updated version in a few bookstores and have been debating whether or not to get it, but overall I'm leaning towards not getting it. My reason for this is that as much as I love many of TLG's recent themes, one of the things I loved most about the original edition was how it offered a trip down memory lane, compiling set and story information as well as quality images for themes that existed back before that sort of thing was readily available online (for instance, the names of the various pirate captain minifigures, the packaging designs for some early Space themes, etc). I've looked at some of the new pages for my favorite themes like BIONICLE, Hero Factory, and Ninjago, and it's really all information I already know or could find without any difficulty elsewhere.

The pages on new themes also call to attention how insubstantial any of the information in the book is. With older themes, even insubstantial information can be really valuable since that information isn't as widely available as it once was. But (for example) BIONICLE's conclusion is described in extremely little detail, and of course it fails to elaborate on the reasons it was cancelled. LEGO Digital Designer gets a page that does describe some of its history (including the history of LEGO Factory and LEGO Design byME), but nothing especially informative about the development side of things-- mostly just info on its functionality, which users of the software from those days should already know pretty well.

It'd be great if someone who does have both editions could list all the pages that have new information so I can tell more easily if there's anything substantial that's been added which I missed when flipping through it in a bookstore. But if the majority of what's been added is just very recent LEGO themes and developments, then I might as well stick with my old edition.

Edited by Aanchir, 14 September 2012 - 01:08 PM.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image


#19 gratefulnat

gratefulnat

    Posts: 207
    Joined: 14-June 09
    Member: 6384
    Country: Switzerland

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

View PostAanchir, on 14 September 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

It'd be great if someone who does have both editions could list all the pages that have new information so I can tell more easily if there's anything substantial that's been added which I missed when flipping through it in a bookstore. But if the majority of what's been added is just very recent LEGO themes and developments, then I might as well stick with my old edition.

I'm not going to list the pages, as there are only very few additions to what was already published in the first version. Mainly with evergreen topics there are a few new (small) photo's inserted on the pages (eg City), otherwise it's as you remark - only new additions for new themes (friends, ninjago etc).

I was slightly disapointed with the new version, sure it's nice to see the new themes added, but that's it. There is no other new interesting information regarding the company as a whole.

I'd stick with your old edition for now.

regards
Nathaniel
"I have every sympathy with the american who was so horrified by what he had read about the effects of smoking that he gave up reading." - H.S. Strauss
Brickset haves, brickset wants

#20 LEGO Historian

LEGO Historian

  • Older than ABS


    Posts: 1183
    Joined: 26-April 07
    Member: 1550
    Country: USA

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:23 AM

I only own the older copy.  I helped out in some way that I was not privy to until after it came out, and my name was in the list of credits at the beginning (I believe some of the AFOL helpers owned an early version of my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide).

But I have a question for owners of both guides... the year 1963.... are there a lot fewer entries for that year?  When I got my complimentary earlier guide... for inadvertently helping them (Posted Image) I noticed that the year 1963 had twice the entries in the first guide than it should have.... I was wondering if the new guide corrected that with fewer entries for that year?

And while we're at it... does the year 1961 show 2 different 810 (Town Plan) sets?  The first guide only showed one.
LEGO "Smarty Pants Extraordinaire" for 54 years!   Can be Emailed at:  istok.gary@gmail.com

Facebook:  
https://www.facebook...ets.Parts.Guide

http://legocollectorsguide.weebly.com/

Posted Image

#21 gratefulnat

gratefulnat

    Posts: 207
    Joined: 14-June 09
    Member: 6384
    Country: Switzerland

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

Here are the differences between the two books:

The history of TLG, pages 1-29, are identical.
A few of the title pages for theme chapters have different pictures, as well as many of the 'Sets to remember' pages.
'Lego Elements to remember' now includes POP, Alien Conquest & Friends.
The Special Editions page now has pictures of the winter sets rather than the modulars.
The fashion & style has 1 page of completely different pictures.
The 2 pages for LEGO Universe have been replaced by LEGO video games

The reprint has 56 more pages with 256 compared to 200 pages.
The new pages are as follows:
+2: The time-line of 'New Worlds to Discover' now includes 2 pages for 'And Beyond', covering releases up to 2012.
+2: Alien Conquest
+2: LEGO City 'City Outskirts' - sets from 2010-2012
+2: LEGO Castle 'Kingdoms' - sets 2010-2012
+2: LEGO Space 'Alien Conquest'
+2: LEGO Pirates 'Imperial Flagship'
+10: LEGO Adventures: +1 Pharaoh's Quest, +1 Dino, +1 Atlantis, +1 Agents, +2 Monster Fighters, +4 Ninjago
+2: Collectable Minifigures
+4: Hero Factory
+2: LEGO Creator - sets 2010&2011
+2: The LEGO Wheel
+2: LEGO Friends
+2: New introduction to LEGO Duplo
+2: the modular houses
+2: Star Wars
+2: DC Super Heroes
+2: Marvel Super heroes
+2: POC & POP
+2: Toy Story & Cars
+2: LOTR
+2: Star Wars Miniland
+2: LEGO games
+2: 'New Hoirizons' - covering CUUSOO & Life of George

So with all the new inclusions the book is quite up to date, but as I said otherwise there isn't anything new. The new inclusions follow exactly the same layout as in the first version, but the original info hasn't been changed/added to.

So unless you want a more complete version with the new themes from 2010-2012, there isn't anything new.

View PostLEGO Historian, on 15 September 2012 - 01:23 AM, said:

I only own the older copy.  I helped out in some way that I was not privy to until after it came out, and my name was in the list of credits at the beginning (I believe some of the AFOL helpers owned an early version of my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide).

But I have a question for owners of both guides... the year 1963.... are there a lot fewer entries for that year?  When I got my complimentary earlier guide... for inadvertently helping them (Posted Image) I noticed that the year 1963 had twice the entries in the first guide than it should have.... I was wondering if the new guide corrected that with fewer entries for that year?

And while we're at it... does the year 1961 show 2 different 810 (Town Plan) sets?  The first guide only showed one.

The 2nd Edition of the LEGO Collector's guide still has only 1 entry for 810 in 1961, and there are now 15 sets shown as released in 1963 as compared to 29 in the first edition.
"I have every sympathy with the american who was so horrified by what he had read about the effects of smoking that he gave up reading." - H.S. Strauss
Brickset haves, brickset wants

#22 LEGO Historian

LEGO Historian

  • Older than ABS


    Posts: 1183
    Joined: 26-April 07
    Member: 1550
    Country: USA

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

View Postgratefulnat, on 15 September 2012 - 10:49 AM, said:

Here are the differences between the two books:

The history of TLG, pages 1-29, are identical.
A few of the title pages for theme chapters have different pictures, as well as many of the 'Sets to remember' pages.
'Lego Elements to remember' now includes POP, Alien Conquest & Friends.
The Special Editions page now has pictures of the winter sets rather than the modulars.
The fashion & style has 1 page of completely different pictures.
The 2 pages for LEGO Universe have been replaced by LEGO video games

The reprint has 56 more pages with 256 compared to 200 pages.
The new pages are as follows:
+2: The time-line of 'New Worlds to Discover' now includes 2 pages for 'And Beyond', covering releases up to 2012.
+2: Alien Conquest
+2: LEGO City 'City Outskirts' - sets from 2010-2012
+2: LEGO Castle 'Kingdoms' - sets 2010-2012
+2: LEGO Space 'Alien Conquest'
+2: LEGO Pirates 'Imperial Flagship'
+10: LEGO Adventures: +1 Pharaoh's Quest, +1 Dino, +1 Atlantis, +1 Agents, +2 Monster Fighters, +4 Ninjago
+2: Collectable Minifigures
+4: Hero Factory
+2: LEGO Creator - sets 2010&2011
+2: The LEGO Wheel
+2: LEGO Friends
+2: New introduction to LEGO Duplo
+2: the modular houses
+2: Star Wars
+2: DC Super Heroes
+2: Marvel Super heroes
+2: POC & POP
+2: Toy Story & Cars
+2: LOTR
+2: Star Wars Miniland
+2: LEGO games
+2: 'New Hoirizons' - covering CUUSOO & Life of George

So with all the new inclusions the book is quite up to date, but as I said otherwise there isn't anything new. The new inclusions follow exactly the same layout as in the first version, but the original info hasn't been changed/added to.

So unless you want a more complete version with the new themes from 2010-2012, there isn't anything new.



The 2nd Edition of the LEGO Collector's guide still has only 1 entry for 810 in 1961, and there are now 15 sets shown as released in 1963 as compared to 29 in the first edition.

Thanks for all the details Gratefulnat!!  I mentioned to the team working on the first book that 1963 was really messed up... glad they took my advice, since half the sets listed under that year were from other years.

As for there still being only 1 (same) 810 Town Plan set in 1961... the real irony is that they show the UK/Australia 810 Town Plan set version....
http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/810-4

And NOT the continental European 810 Town Plan version....
http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/810-2

That European one is the one shown in the upper right corner of the new 10184 Town Plan (but incorrectly labeled 1958)...
http://www.peeron.co...1?showpic=10215

If pages 1-29 are identical... does that mean that they did not add years 1949-57?  Or are they found elsewhere in the book.  Those are the most difficult years to catalog, since the LEGO Vault and Archives contain little about those years.  But I thought that they still would have been added to the 2nd version of the book.  I know there was a lot of problems with the book people and TLG folks over those early years... but I thought sure they would be included??

Note: for those who have my LEGO DVD/download... the years 1949-57 are extensively covered in Chapters 2 (Automatic Binding Bricks) and Chapter 5 (Early Basic Sets).... they broach some extremely complex set, part, and non-documented issues (Chapter 2 talks about the early years and how 3 companies (TLG LEGO Denmark, Geas Konsthart Sweden, and Svein Strømberg & Co Norway) all produced Automatic Binding Bricks, and Chapter 5 deals with the local language (Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, German, Swiss and Dutch) sets, as well as the vast number of box designs, packing variations, and parts variations.  It's possible that there wasn't enough agreement between the book folks and TLG folks on those years.  In my years of researching my CDs and current DVD download, about 1/3 of all the information that TLG provided me, I had to discard... because I found proof to the contrary.  TLG has serious Archival issues for the early years.

Edited by LEGO Historian, 16 September 2012 - 01:24 AM.

LEGO "Smarty Pants Extraordinaire" for 54 years!   Can be Emailed at:  istok.gary@gmail.com

Facebook:  
https://www.facebook...ets.Parts.Guide

http://legocollectorsguide.weebly.com/

Posted Image

#23 Nicholas

Nicholas

    Posts: 1
    Joined: 16-September 12
    Member: 31897

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:44 AM

Wouldn't think.



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users