Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Angel

Kilfana's Roost

Raex Kilfana was a great adventurer who traveled to many lands and discovered wonders and a wealth of treasure. Deep in the deserts of Kaliphlin, Raex found a magic carpet that could perform many wonders, not the least of which was flight. Raex had always marveled at the magical islands that float above the Mystic Isles. With his carpet, he was able to travel up to them, and he claimed one of the islands as his own. He build a small stone outpost to keep his valuable treasures safe from thieves and rogues. Eventually he retired from adventuring, and took up residence on his island in the sky. He built it up over the years, and installed a windmill to harness the great winds that soar through the Avalonian skies, as well as a a common area on the roof so that he could run a small tavern to while away his twilight years. He was able to capture rainwater, and sustain a couple gardens of sturdier plants. The island was modest in size, and inevitably Raex ran out of room. He harnessed another small isle and secured it with great chains and used it as a landing for patrons of his small tavern. Raex lived many years ago, and he named his island Kilfana's Roost. It was passed down through the generations, to his current descendant, Laress Kilfana. With the help of her husband Dorain, the tavern has flourished, with many airborne patrons.

kilfanas_roost_-_overview.jpg

Kilfana's Roost floats high in the skies of Avalonia, and is accessible only by those with means to harness the winds.

kilfanas_roost_-_microscale.jpg

The two islands are tethered together by great chains to weather the great flurries that pummel the island. A wooden bridge provides access for those who arrive on flying mounts (such as the dragon pictured here)

kilfanas_roost_-_bridge_and_chain.jpg

When dusk falls, the island is lit by two great braziers which serve as beacons for travelers that seek out the tavern at night. Supplies and cargo are secured with a large cargo net.

kilfanas_roost_-_cargo_and_brazier.jpg

Dorain has just picked a carrot from one of the island's two gardens to help flavor his stew for the evening meal. Rainwater is captured and stored in a large barrel in case of dry spells.

kilfanas_roost_-_doorway.jpg

The windmill provides power for grinding meal, sharpening tools, and various other small chores. The tavern is the main attraction of Kilfana's Roost, and the slatted boards provide a little protection from the sun, but the winds and the altitude ensure that the Roost is usually cool enough.

kilfanas_roost_-_tavern_and_windmill.jpg

Laress brings food and ale to the recent arrival - Lord Mirsk the Sand Dervish - who is conversing with his new friend ZZrrt. Zzrrt is providing some valuable information on the recent behavior of the Nocturnus Minotaurs.

kilfanas_roost_-_mirsk_and_zzrrt.jpg

A trio of bat folk are sharing the tavern, and are squeaking hysterically at their comrade. Bat folk are notoriously bad drunks, as their slight frames cannot absorb much alcohol.

kilfanas_roost_-_bat_folk.jpg

The rowdiest of the Bat folk (Musty Wings, as Zzrrt has taken to calling him due to his stench) looks like he's going to try to fly, which should be amusing for everyone else.

kilfanas_roost_-_musty_wings.jpg

And last, but certainly not least, we see the prize possession of any tavern - the ale keg! located securely beneath the tavern stairs, the keg is the boon and bane to many a patron, given the altitude.

kilfanas_roost_-_ale_keg.jpg

ahahahah great :)

edit: show us how you made those finger leaves trees?

Edited by Angeli

Great that you took some pictures of it pre-elemental attack. It makes it much easier to see whats what :thumbup:

Excellent pavilion on the top floor :classic:

Love it! Great characters. I prefer the pre-destruction version for sure, what a cool hang-out. Duke LeStrange will be very happy to visit by flying carpet.

:classic:

Those bat-folk are awesome and an well executed idea with the floating rock surrounded by the clouds!

I prefer the pre-destruction version for sure, what a cool hang-out.

:classic:

I'll have to agree with that lol... I think one of the main things that make this stand out besides being above the clouds is how you made the woven roof.

Thanks guys!

Angeli: the Challenge 4 entry should give you a hint on the tree frame. I had originally tried this frame with the small 3 leaf clusters, but it didn't look that great. It worked better with the sword leaves, and really gave a good wind-blown look for the challenge entry.

Soccerkid: The tavern was originally going to be a separate island, but I ran out of pieces, so I had to put it on top of the building - which worked out pretty well.

Rob: I prefer the predestruction version as well. I was just creating this as a free build, but I couldn't pass up the chance to use the microscale for the land far below, so I destroyed it for the challenge. The Duke would be more than welcome if it hadn't been destroyed by those darn elementals!

Ecclesiastes: The whole I reason I came up with these was because I bricklinked a couple of bat-monsters, and I just LOVE the figures. I wanted to use them in a build, and was trying to come up with some aerial hang out for them. It was originally going to be on a cliff face, but I think the floating island worked out better.

Mikel: I started just with chains for the roof, but that seemed a little boring Then I realized I could intertwine the tiles, and actually give some protection to the tavern-goers. I had to put the support in the middle, otherwise the whole thing sagged, but it worked well with the rest of the frame, so I'm happy with it!