Rogue Angel

Destruction of Kilfana's Roost

Raex Kilfana was a great adventurer who traveled to many lands and discovered wonders and a wealth of treasure. Deep in the deserts of Kaliphlin, Raex found a magic carpet that could perform many wonders, not the least of which was flight. Raex had always marveled at the magical islands that float above the Mystic Isles. With his carpet, he was able to travel up to them, and he claimed one of the islands as his own. He build a small stone outpost to keep his valuable treasures safe from thieves and rogues. Eventually he retired from adventuring, and took up residence on his island in the sky. He built it up over the years, and installed a windmill to harness the great winds that soar through the Avalonian skies, as well as a a common area on the roof so that he could run a small tavern to while away his twilight years. He was able to capture rainwater, and sustain a couple gardens of sturdier plants. The island was modest in size, and inevitably Raex ran out of room. He harnessed another small isle and secured it with great chains and used it as a landing for patrons of his small tavern. Raex lived many years ago, and he named his island Kilfana's Roost. It was passed down through the generations, to his current descendant, Laress Kilfana. With the help of her husband Dorain, the tavern has flourished, with many airborne patrons.

Kilfana's Island was not safe from the rampage of the elementals for the skies are home to wind elementals. Although there have been many a storm to harry the Isle, none was anything like the Cyclone they saw that day.

challenge_4_-_6.jpg

The winds grew violent as the cyclone arrived, and scoured across the island in great sheets of white turbulence

challenge_4_-_2.jpg

The smaller island was sheared off by the force of the wind, and the bridge and chains that had connected them were tossed about like leaves in autumn.

challenge_4_-_3.jpg

The tavern had been half full, but as luck would have it, the great Mage Lord Mirsk, the Sand Dervish, happened to be enjoying a cup of ale when the elemental hit!

challenge_4_-_4.jpg

Using his great powers, Lord Mirsk was able to summon up a cone of pure energy to protect him with gales that buffeted him, so that they would not toss him about as they had the batfolk.

challenge_4_-_5.jpg

The elemental wreaked great havoc upon the island, but luckily it has stayed aloft, high above the Mystic Isles.

challenge_4_-_1.jpg

This started out as a free build, which I converted into an entry for this challenge, since I thought the microbuild part of it would work very well. I apologize if it is hard to make out what is what, but I will be posting the "pre-destruction" pictures once the contest is complete. I hope you enjoy.

Very cool rogueang! I really like the microscale 'underlayer', that gives a very good perspective of the height of the island

The microscale does work very well in my opinion. The cyclone is also very good. I also like how the trees really look like they are blowing away.

Interesting story.

The tavern build though seems a bit under detailed to me. I suppose a good amount of it blew away!

Cool build, I like how unique your idea is :thumbup: The cyclone is excellent, and you did a great job capturing the windy effect.

The microscale is also superb, and adds to the uniqueness of your build :classic:

Thanks Kayne! I thought it would be interesting to use the microscale below instead of behind, and I am very happy with the results.

Z - that is exactly what I was woried about. I interpreted the destruction to be ruining the tavern, so half of the stuff has blown away, and other things have been mangled by the winds so it's hard to tell what is what - just like it would be after a real tornado.

Once I have posted the pre-destruction pictures it will make much more sense, but I can't post those until after the challenge since it's a one-scene contest. This was the reason I considered not using this build for this challenge, but I really liked the microscale concept.

Soccerkid - the cyclone started off very blocky, but as I kept adding and adding to it I started getting more of a spiral form to it and I'm really pleased with it now.

I like the way you gave the micro build a different perspective than most! I always thought "wind" would be the toughest elemental but the cyclone look good!

As Mikey said, the wind elemental sure is the toughest one and I think you nailed it! :thumbup:

The micro landscape is really awesome! :classic:

Wow, surprising micro-underlayer!!

Also great job on destructing the tavern!!!

You set yourself a really hard task, making a tornado and destruction it causes ;)

Great entry, bravo

Love the floating islands idea, and the micro execution is superb. I would love to see the pre-destruction tavern. Why did he set up a tavern on an unreachable island though? Is there a dirigible ferry? When I first saw the cyclone, I thought it was quite confusing, but it's really growing on me now. Very creative idea and build!

:classic:

You learn something new everyday- I didn't know there were flying islands in the Mystic Isles. Now I'm going to have to go find a way to take an adventure there!

I like the whole idea behind the islands and the tornado- I think you pulled it off really well. The micro scale is great too, I like the fact that it is below, very cool :thumbup:

Truly a unique idea with the floating islands! I really like the ground from the sky perspective!default_thumbup.gif Good job!

Wow, such a unique entry, i love the idea! The microscale as a bird's eye view works a treat and i really like the brick-built tornado as well, it shape is quite dynamic. :thumbup: I am not sure about the other white parts that are meant to show the wind though... to me they seem a bit too solid to be really believable? Or maybe that has to do with the fact that some things (like the trees) look like they are under a lot of strain, yet others, such as the wooden staircase and barrel covers, look as solid as a rock! :wink: The last pic is the best though, the different layers give the floating island a real sense of altitude. Nice work and best of luck! :classic:

Thanks for the comments guys!

Gabe - I was trying to somehow visualize the winds flying about. I couldn't get the chains posed circularly in mid-air, so the tress were the only way I could show it. I realize that the wind gusts do look a bit too opaque and angular, but it was the best I could come up with.