Hell in Historica

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 de Gothia

de Gothia

• Still really, really, REALLY wants to join Nocturnus.

Member: 18035

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

Stunning for sure! Great to see something else ad more twisted than the regular "elemanetal crasches town" mocs! :thumbup: I just love the mouth of that thing!!

de Gothia of Avalonia

My Flickr

#27 zergu

zergu

Member: 25231

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:55 AM

truly a work of art robuko... no words can describe my amazement
to me even thinking of building something like this, is out of this world

#28 robuko

robuko

• Robuko Innovation Kaliphlin

Member: 4643

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

I have been genuinely surprised by all the very kind comments on this MOC.  I did worry it was too odd, and even disturbing, for many people.  The warm comments and appreciation, even calling it Art, just reminds me again what a great community we have in Historica.  Many thanks to all!  :sweet:

View PostAxis600, on 05 August 2012 - 04:02 AM, said:

Jeez...I'm glad the Mad Monks weren't situated by my people after all...
Don't worry Khamar, brother Aloysius was on one of his pilgrimages, nowhere near your settlements!

View PostKayne, on 05 August 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

Wow, a great translation of that painting!  You said it would be different, and you did not disappoint, this is very unique for this challenge and that is always a good thing!
Thanks Kayne!  I'm really glad you liked it.

View PostCaptain Settle, on 05 August 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

That is a strange idea for this challenge, but a very good build. Well done.
Thanks very much Captain Settle.  Strange ideas are my specialty  :tongue:

View Postsoccerkid6, on 05 August 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

Your microscale might be my favorite yet  :thumbup:  You definitely captured the painting well too  :classic:
Thankyou soccerkid!  I really liked doing the microscale, I wish I had more space to work with, the painting is really about the foreground so I did not put much detail into the background, just colour blocks.

View Postrogueang, on 05 August 2012 - 03:04 PM, said:

You never dissapoint, both in the quality of your builds, and the "how in the world did he come up with that?" factor. Completely unique, and very well done interpretation of the painting. As always, your story is excellent. Very impressive!
Thanks rogueang!  When I saw that this challenge would be scored on originality, I had quite a long think about how to differentiate my contribution.  The combination of mediaeval and devastation took me to thinking about Breughel and Bosch, and when I saw this picture, I just thought, "Yes!".  
I'm glad you liked the story.  The metanarrative of this build is about layers of perspective, and I wanted to put extra layers of perspective onto the scene with the story.  Did Aloysius really see all of this scene?  Was he really mad before he saw it, or did it drive him mad?  Which went mad first, the town or the person? What made him take his own life?  What really happened there?  Is he in the painting?

View PostHive, on 05 August 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

This is simply brilliant, I love it!
Thanks Hive!

View PostSirens-Of-Titan, on 05 August 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

@ robuko: Very original and interesting idea!  :thumbup:  The way you've shown perspective with the micro figures and then trophies actually looks quite convincing! Perhaps the most unique entree so far.
Thanks SoT!  I was very happy with the way the micro figs and the trophies turned out.  In many mediaeval paintings before the 15th century there is a totally different treatment of perspective, it really gets ignored in favour of the narrative of the picture.  I left that out-of-perspective Uruk in the arch on the left to reference this tradition.  By the full Renaissance we had a return to vanishing point scaling and so on.  Bosch's treatment of perspective is a kind of middle road of big figures in the foreground, medium size ones in the middle distance, and small ones in the background, and I think his style works very well with these 3 scales.  

View PostSebeus I, on 05 August 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

This is very good, the use of heroica figures is brilliant, I like those eyes  :thumbup:
Thanks Sebeus I!  Poor little heroicans!  I struggled a bit with the eyes, but I think it turned out ok.

View PostSkaForHire, on 05 August 2012 - 05:58 PM, said:

I really like the uniqueness here, way to think outside the box!!! I am struggling a little bit with the 2d vision of a portrait that has 3 dimensions, but I have no clue how you could achieve that in a "painting" like setting as you did.  Otherwise, I really like it.  So clever!
Thanks Ska!  I had in the back of my mind for a while, how would I represent a painting?  Initially I thought it would have to be like in a theatre, with layers of scenery behind the action, mounted on a perpendicular stage.  But then you run into the problem of how to keep the perspectives stable in the foreground and background. I mentioned I really wanted to emphasise the "flatness" of mediaeval painting styles and I didn't want too much protrusion in the foreground.  About halfway through the build I had the revelation that I could hinge the background layers to compress the perspectives, which took care of that problem and gave me a new one of mounting the foreground scenes "sideways" to the base.  
When we see this on a screen we are looking at a 2D representation of a 3D representation of a 2D representation of an imaginary 3D scene, which I kind of like.

View PostDaMaximus, on 05 August 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

In my eyes, it's actually better than the painting!!

It's something you can hang on the wall and every time visitors come, they will stop and look half an hour to that!

It's confusing, but it's really amazing!

With other words, just ART!!
Thanks DaMaximus!   :blush: Not the sort of thing I would have on my wall, too scary!  

View PostAngeli, on 05 August 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

So abstract ;)
Great entry ;)
Thanks Angeli!  Glad you liked it!

View Postgedren_y, on 05 August 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

The art term is 'sureal', Angeli.

This is that. Very much so.

Good job.

gedren_y
Thanks gedren_y!  Surreal is probably how we would classify it today in a technical sense, but there seems to be a live debate over how 'Bosch intended his work to be seen, maybe this is hyper-real.  Not leaving any notes is a good way to ensure a future debate on your art I guess  :tongue:

View PostErynlasgalen, on 06 August 2012 - 12:25 AM, said:

This makes me wonder what all the monks are drinking while they are painting, lol.

I really like it, it is different and unique and something I wasn't expecting at all. I think you did a wonderful job with it.

I love how as the challenges go on, people are starting to get more and more creative!
Thanks Erynlasgalen!  Yes, I wanted there to be questions as to how much of this only happened in Aloysius' head, whether by booze, madness, or Nocturnian fungi  :tongue:

View PostCaptain BeerBeard, on 06 August 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

Wow! I like it better than the painting. You changed my perception on LEGO. :thumbup:
:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:    Wow, Thanks Captain!  That's probably the best compliment I ever had on a build.

View PostMikeyB, on 06 August 2012 - 03:40 AM, said:

very well done!  Very clever and you did a great job of representing the original!
Thanks a lot, Mikey!  I'm really happy you liked it.

View PostCara, on 06 August 2012 - 04:25 AM, said:

Its a great copy of the painting! Definitely art.
Thanks very much Cara!  The original is art, this is just my imitation.

View PostLegonardo Davidy, on 06 August 2012 - 05:52 AM, said:

not what I was expecting... what are those monks on?
you have captured the painting well, it does fit in well with this challenge.
Thanks so much Dave, I'm glad you like how it fits the challenge.

View Postkabel, on 06 August 2012 - 08:12 AM, said:

the idea itself is already genius itself and the way you carried it out as well. If they had had lego in Mediavel times this is what the mocs would look like. Perfect!!
Wow, thanks kabel!  I'm really happy you like it and think it looks authentic!

View PostBentoft, on 06 August 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

Wow, this is not just a great build! This is great art!
Thanks Bentoft!  I would not make any great artistic claim for this build, but I'm very happy you liked it.

View PostCaptain BeerBeard, on 06 August 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

Everything on this forum is art. We are all conosuiers.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Totally agree!    

View PostRolli, on 06 August 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

Instantly recoginzable Hieronymous Bosch. Very well executed and a genious idea to portrait elemental destruction. I myself thought of the idea to build a painting but it never would have been on this level! I really like the different levels and most of all the tiny figs on the mountain top left. It adds such a dimension to the build.
Thanks Rolli!  So glad you liked it.  The ideas kind of came along as I made it, I'm sure you would do much better. I would really look forward to seeing how you would do a painting, maybe a nice still life with cheese? :tongue:

View PostJason Cicchini, on 06 August 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

I instantly knew this was Bosch inspired! My eyes also bugged out of my head when I first saw this.
Way to do something SO different from everyone else it kind of has its own category. In a community of people trying to bring more "High Art" into what is basically an emerging medium, you are one of very few whom can successfully pull it off. Great job, and good luck!
:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:  Thanks very much for your kind words Jason! I am pretty open-minded in my source material, I have used Isaac Newton, Mary Shelley, Neal Stephenson, JK Rowling, Robert Sargeant, lonely planet, the Arabian Nights, The Muppets, Hayao Miyazaki, Jonathan Stroud, and plenty of Walt Disney so far for the Historica Challenges.  I am very happy you appreciate the artistic intentions!

View PostMikel Kalores, on 06 August 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

This is a REAL piece of art! I bet you could actually auction it off if you wanted!
Ha Ha Ha!  Thanks Mikel!  To me it just looks like a scary monster!  I am not sure it would attract bids beyond what I paid for the new 48x48 baseplate  :laugh: :laugh:  

View Postde Gothia, on 06 August 2012 - 07:09 PM, said:

Stunning for sure! Great to see something else ad more twisted than the regular "elemanetal crasches town" mocs! :thumbup: I just love the mouth of that thing!!
Thanks de Gothia!  Yes, I was really happy to see that originality would be a criterion this time, I anticipated a lot of those "elemental crashes town" type MOCs, and there was no way I could compete on building skill or time or parts, so I just went all the way out for the originality axis  :laugh: :laugh:  

View Postzergu, on 08 August 2012 - 02:55 AM, said:

truly a work of art robuko... no words can describe my amazement
to me even thinking of building something like this, is out of this world
Thanks for the kind words zergu. I only really started to build MOCs for the Guilds of Historica project, and I have learned so much this year from all the talented builders in the guilds here.  I am sure you will be building far more impressive designs than this very shortly  :classic:

Edited by robuko, 09 August 2012 - 09:05 AM.

Rasputin Jones is restoring the King of Kaliphlin in Guilds of Historica

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#29 Ecclesiastes

Ecclesiastes

• Master of "da hood"

Member: 17645

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

View Postrobuko, on 05 August 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

I know there are some religious Christians on the site, I have no intention to offend anyone with this challenge.  

Never heared if it before actually, some interesting history though!

But about the moc; very original, and it looks a lot like the real painting. Also nice job going form minifig to micro to those "trophee-guys" :classic:

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image
There's a time for tearing down and a time for building. - Ecclesiastes

My Flickr

#30 Gabe

Gabe

• Griffin Master

Member: 12135

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

Aha, and now we come to it! I've been looking forward to commenting on this beauty for some days, but have determined to go through the entries from furthest down the list first, meaning this has been a deferred pleasure. So my apologies Robuko, for not commenting on this masterpeice earlier. :blush:
I mean, way to come from left field with such a great take on the challenge! It's one of the things that i really respect in your creations, that there is always so much thought put into them. :thumbup: And i know you credit Bosch with the original artwork, but that doesn't make your treatment of it any less masterful (Your compression of the composition is perfect, for example, as is your translation of the grotesqueries in the painting), or diminish it's artistic merit as an object in it's own right.
Oh, and i love your depiction of Bosch's wierd mash-up of vertical, narrative and 3 point perspectives as well - brilliant, and actually echos the Mughal and Ottoman painting styles that use vertical perspective too, so is a perfect fit for Kaliphlin!  :thumbup:

Best of luck in the voting - i'm sure you'll do very well!  :classic:

Edited by gabe, 15 August 2012 - 02:26 PM.

Erudhalion Sansael, Admiral of the Kaliphlin fleet. Peregrinus for Kaliphlin!
Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image

#31 robuko

robuko

• Robuko Innovation Kaliphlin

Member: 4643

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

View PostGabe, on 15 August 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

I mean, way to come from left field with such a great take on the challenge! It's one of the things that i really respect in your creations, that there is always so much thought put into them. :thumbup: And i know you credit Bosch with the original artwork, but that doesn't make your treatment of it any less masterful (Your compression of the composition is perfect, for example, as is your translation of the grotesqueries in the painting), or diminish it's artistic merit as an object in it's own right.
Oh, and i love your depiction of Bosch's wierd mash-up of vertical, narrative and 3 point perspectives as well - brilliant, and actually echos the Mughal and Ottoman painting styles that use vertical perspective too, so is a perfect fit for Kaliphlin!  :thumbup:

Best of luck in the voting - i'm sure you'll do very well!  :classic:
Thanks gabe, I'm really happy that you appreciate the composition, and what I was trying to convey with the perspective  :blush:  Thankyou very much for the compliment on the grotesqueries; If I were to start again, I would have worked from foreground to background and done much more calculation of what could fit in.  I fit the figures to the background here and it should be the other way round, in retrospect.
I did not think of those Mughal or Ottoman paitings, but you are right, they would look awesome for Kaliphlin.  I honestly somehow did not know there would be public voting or a prize this time around - which is probably a good thing, as I would not have gone so far left field if I did  :laugh: I am just happy if fellow Historicans appreciate this.  I wish time had allowed your full entry!
:classic:
Rasputin Jones is restoring the King of Kaliphlin in Guilds of Historica

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users