Jump to content


Modular Madness: Brickin' Games


17 replies to this topic

#1 DarthNick

DarthNick

  • Red Leader


    Posts: 150
    Joined: 04-October 08
    Member: 4059
    Country: Canada

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:57 AM

Posted Image B-OM-29C

Cutting it even closer with this one!

The is the office for the folks at Brickin' Games, known for some great small games.
Posted Image

An front view of the building can be found here.

Here we have the lobby of the office building.  You can see the receptionist, Carmen, checking her email.  There's a seating area, and you can also catch a glimpse of a statue of a character from their best-selling game, Space Patrol.
Posted Image

A view of the small but functional washroom, with all the necessities.
Posted Image

Here we have the second floor, where all the work gets done!  On the left is a boardroom (for those big, important meetings), with a projector and game controller.  On the right is the main workspace, with a coffee machine and water cooler (filled with mountain dew) against the front wall.
Posted Image

The staff can be seen hard at work (except Phil, who just woke up from a nap and is grabbing some coffee).  The workstation features two computers for the two programmers, Phil and Jeff, and a drawing board for the graphics designer, Alec.
Posted Image

A very fun build, though very quickly put together.  I took inspiration from several other builders, so you may recognize some things from other builders (such as the Computers, Water cooler, and some of the furniture).  Enjoy!

Edited by Phred, 01 August 2012 - 01:46 PM.


#2 Darkdragon

Darkdragon

  • Destroyed Dreams of Super-Santa


    Posts: 5095
    Joined: 22-November 10
    Member: 14331
    Country: USA

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:30 AM

I love the way you did the iMac setups! The whole building has a very nice clean look to it and excellent details inside.  :thumbup:

#3 dr_spock

dr_spock

  • Ex-News Scout scouting for new themes


    Posts: 4619
    Joined: 28-December 09
    Member: 8775
    Country: Canada

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

Cool build.   :thumbup:  Like your projector.  Is that working elevator?

#4 DarthNick

DarthNick

  • Red Leader


    Posts: 150
    Joined: 04-October 08
    Member: 4059
    Country: Canada

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:46 AM

View Postdarkdragon, on 01 August 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

I love the way you did the iMac setups! The whole building has a very nice clean look to it and excellent details inside.  :thumbup:
Thanks, though I can't take credit for the monitor, stole that from someone else (can't remember).  And glad you think so, both a clean look and fun details is something I always aim for!

View Postdr_spock, on 01 August 2012 - 01:42 AM, said:

Cool build.   :thumbup:  Like your projector.  Is that working elevator?
Thanks!  I liked the projector too :classic:.  Unfortunately I didn't have time to get it working, but I plan to motorize it in the future!

Edited by DarthNick, 01 August 2012 - 01:51 AM.


#5 TheBricktator

TheBricktator

    Posts: 20
    Joined: 18-June 12
    Member: 29258
    Country: Canada

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:12 AM

This is a great building!  Really cool! How did you make the iMacs? I'm new here and I've never seen them before.  :thumbup:

#6 L@go

L@go

  • Awesome Sport!


    Posts: 1622
    Joined: 18-March 10
    Member: 9962
    Country: Norway

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:14 AM

That's a very different way to go about designing a modular building, but with those connecting pins it does fit - I'd love to see a picture of it next to some official modulars to see how it looks! The building is gorgeous in all its modernity, and the interior details (computers, projector, elevator, water cooler) are excellent. Well done!

Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image


flickr


#7 Legocrazy81

Legocrazy81

    Posts: 4436
    Joined: 12-August 10
    Member: 12542
    Country: USA(California)

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:20 AM

Great entry! I love the buildings shape. It's nice to see something different every now and then. The interior details are awesome too, very cool.
Clone Army-120 & counting...

GS Red Squad Relief Fund- Donate today!

#8 LegoFan03

LegoFan03

    Posts: 103
    Joined: 06-January 11
    Member: 15218

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:26 AM

Love it! I love the way you made iMac. Do you mind to post close up to that? I like to see how you do it. :)

#9 DarthNick

DarthNick

  • Red Leader


    Posts: 150
    Joined: 04-October 08
    Member: 4059
    Country: Canada

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:45 AM

Thanks The Bricktator, Legocrazy81, and LegoFan03!

As for the iMacs, all I'm doing is wrapping an elastic band around a 2x2 tile, then inserting it into a 1x1 modified tile with clip.  If that still doesn't make sense I can post a picture within the next few days.

View PostL@go, on 01 August 2012 - 04:14 AM, said:

That's a very different way to go about designing a modular building, but with those connecting pins it does fit - I'd love to see a picture of it next to some official modulars to see how it looks! The building is gorgeous in all its modernity, and the interior details (computers, projector, elevator, water cooler) are excellent. Well done!
Thanks so much! Unfortunately I don't have any of the modulars built, and I doubt I ever will, since I rarely build sets anymore.  And once again I'm glad to see all the interior details noticed!

#10 snaillad

snaillad

    Posts: 238
    Joined: 19-June 09
    Member: 6447
    Country: England

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

I do very much like the structure of the building. Mixing the interior up with some brighter colours works really well for me! The interior is tasetfully considered - If that makes any sense!  :laugh: Great job and best of luck!  :thumbup:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  

MOC's shown above can be found on My Flickr Page  or  My MOCPages


#11 LegoJalex

LegoJalex

    Posts: 194
    Joined: 30-May 12
    Member: 28903
    Country: Sweden

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

Different Modular building! It looks really nice. The idea to make the iMacs is excellent!

#12 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

  • Doing the Chicken Dance


    Posts: 18853
    Joined: 28-October 09
    Member: 7997
    Country: Australia

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

AWESOME structure full of geeks, fantastic iMacs and other equipment.... :wub: those simple hand controllers and that LCD projector is the bomb ! :grin:
Good luck and Brick On Game On 'DarthNick' ! :classic:

#13 soccerkid6

soccerkid6

  • Mitgardia's moccing machine


    Posts: 5587
    Joined: 03-October 11
    Member: 20775
    Country: USA

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

Neat idea for a modular  :thumbup: The game controllers and I-Macs are top-notch, the exterior is very cool as well  :classic:
Sir Glorfindel of Mitgardia, Architect Regent of Valholl, Officer of Valholl, Treasurer of the Valholl Mason's guild, Economic Titan, Knight of Valholl, Mason Teacher, Shadow Rider, Gentlefolk, in the Guilds of Historica
Here is my website: http://brickbuilt.org
My flickr: link
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

#14 Holodoc

Holodoc

  • Has finally seen the box


    Posts: 3810
    Joined: 24-November 06
    Member: 1094
    Country: Germany

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PostDarthNick, on 01 August 2012 - 04:45 AM, said:

As for the iMacs, all I'm doing is wrapping an elastic band around a 2x2 tile, then inserting it into a 1x1 modified tile with clip. If that still doesn't make sense I can post a picture within the next few days.
If you wouldn't have told us, I had marked it as "clone stuff". Thanks for explaining.

For the rest of the building: I quite like it, BUT the "normal" modulars reach from one side to the other leaving no blank space to the next building.
And with two floors it's smaller, too.:sceptic:

Good luck in the contest, though. :thumbup:
Even more interested in LEGO bricks & parts? Read Tim Johnson's (aka Caperberry) blog: Posted Image

#15 The Blue Brick

The Blue Brick

    Posts: 1179
    Joined: 01-July 11
    Member: 18793
    Country: United States

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

I always love to see modern buildings built out of lego. This is excellent.  :wub:

I love the cool interior, small details such as the computers, and how clean it looks.

Good luck in the contest.  :thumbup: :classic:

#16 DarthNick

DarthNick

  • Red Leader


    Posts: 150
    Joined: 04-October 08
    Member: 4059
    Country: Canada

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

Thanks LegoJalex, soccerkid6, and the Blue Brick

View Postsnaillad, on 01 August 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

I do very much like the structure of the building. Mixing the interior up with some brighter colours works really well for me! The interior is tasetfully considered - If that makes any sense!  :laugh: Great job and best of luck!  :thumbup:
Thanks so much!  And don't worry, it's makes sense.  :classic:

View Postlightningtiger, on 01 August 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

AWESOME structure full of geeks, fantastic iMacs and other equipment.... :wub: those simple hand controllers and that LCD projector is the bomb ! :grin:
Good luck and Brick On Game On 'DarthNick' ! :classic:
Thanks!  I'm very fond of the controllers and projector too!

View PostHolodoc, on 01 August 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

If you wouldn't have told us, I had marked it as "clone stuff". Thanks for explaining.

For the rest of the building: I quite like it, BUT the "normal" modulars reach from one side to the other leaving no blank space to the next building.
And with two floors it's smaller, too.:sceptic:

Good luck in the contest, though. :thumbup:
Definitely see what you mean about it not being a "normal" modular building.  But it does fit in with the other modulars, at least in term of the standard.  As for height, I juts didn't have he bricks to make it any taller, otherwise i would have...  But thanks!

#17 sonicstarlight

sonicstarlight

  • Sneeze-proof floor specialist


    Posts: 254
    Joined: 21-January 10
    Member: 9202
    Country: USA

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:38 AM

I really like this one. Modernist architecture is far harder to pull off well than traditional architecture in my mind, and this is as good as I've seen. The way the building is set back from the street and the lower height actually adds some authenticity - it's like if Mies van der Rohe's Seagram Building met Crown Hall (if that means anything). Best of luck, and blogged on Brick Town Talk!  :classic:

#18 DarthNick

DarthNick

  • Red Leader


    Posts: 150
    Joined: 04-October 08
    Member: 4059
    Country: Canada

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:23 AM

View Postsonicstarlight, on 02 August 2012 - 03:38 AM, said:

I really like this one. Modernist architecture is far harder to pull off well than traditional architecture in my mind, and this is as good as I've seen. The way the building is set back from the street and the lower height actually adds some authenticity - it's like if Mies van der Rohe's Seagram Building met Crown Hall (if that means anything). Best of luck, and blogged on Brick Town Talk!  :classic:
Thanks so much (again :wink:)!  Unfortunately, it doesn't mean anything.  Would a quick google search help clear things up?  And (again) thanks for the blog.  It's such an honor to be blogged by such a fantastic builder.



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users