JopieK

Solution for the 3677: red battery box sides

Maybe not for purist (since I use two non-official stickers), but I thought it would be neat for the LiPo in the 3677 to have some cover. So, from this:

battery_cover_appl1.jpg

To this:

battery_cover_appl2.jpg

The color matches quite well I think (that was the best I could do at least ;)).

My nieces are happy with it, whoops, but now the station seems to be missing a bit of it's roofing (well it is LEGO so it is meant to be played with isn't it ;))

That is the Grey Battery box cover? So Lego have corrected this by including a red cover for the battery box. :) :thumbup:

That is the Grey Battery box cover? So Lego have corrected this by including a red cover for the battery box. :) :thumbup:

Ah, if you read - it's a sticker....a plain red sticker. :wink:

Neat idea 'JopieK', who knows when I get to build mine I might do the same perhaps ? :laugh:

Ah, if you read - it's a sticker....a plain red sticker. :wink:

Neat idea 'JopieK', who knows when I get to build mine I might do the same perhaps ? :laugh:

I think what Venunder means is there is a red battery box cover in the 3677 set. The problem is it's designed for the 6xAAA battery box, not the rechargeable battery box, so if you want to use the rechargeable battery box a solution such as stickers must be found.

Another solution is to dismantle your rechargeable battery and fit it inside the red cover. I'm pretty sure this was reported possible somewhere on Train Tech in the past.

Oh yes I see. I have to say I was a little confused as to what was being discussed.

Using stickers maybe a good solution. I do not have any rechargeable battery boxes (Although I do use rechargeable batteries.) but I have wondered if they will produce the covers in a variety of colours in the future as it is a good solution for those slim engines that are almost impossible to build on that scale if you need to hide a battery box of any sort in the mix somewhere. If they do not produce actual covers maybe a selection of appropriately coloured stickers could be the answer?

I think what Venunder means is there is a red battery box cover in the 3677 set. The problem is it's designed for the 6xAAA battery box, not the rechargeable battery box, so if you want to use the rechargeable battery box a solution such as stickers must be found.

Another solution is to dismantle your rechargeable battery and fit it inside the red cover. I'm pretty sure this was reported possible somewhere on Train Tech in the past.

Okay I get it now. I was about to ask why not just use the red battery box cover included. How are the rechargeable battery boxes compared to the AAA boxes?

Sure... of course not I said LiPo -> Lithium Polymer -> battery as in rechargable battery, not a battery box for 6xAAA.

Well the problem is that they are pretty much sealed. That is for safety reasons. We will operate several of these trains in primary school situations and then a sticker is a very much preferred solution. B.t.w. it would have been better to use red vinyl with the same color as LEGO red, but I didn't have that so printing red on vinyl was my only option.

Sorry to dig up an old topic, I remember seeing this topic about converting a Lithium Battery pack to have a red cover instead of the dark grey cover, but after loads of searching, I cannot find the posts? Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Paul

Edited by paul_delahaye

I currently can't find the images, but it's fairly easy to open the Lipo. You'll need a flathead scrwedriver to remove the 4 plastic covers on the underside of the LiPo and a philips screwdriver to open the screws.

On the red battery cover, you'll need to remove the screw completely. Then just swap covers and it'll fit somehow. It's not as sturdy as the way TLG intended to, but with some bricks around it works perfect.