Murdoch17

LDD MOC: Railroad Locomotive Transfer Table

For those who don't know what a Transfer Table is, Wikipedia is your friend:

"A transfer table, also called a traverser (especially in the U.K.), is a piece of railroad equipment. It is similar in function to a turntable, though it cannot be used to turn equipment around. The table consists of a single length of track which can be moved from side to side, in a direction perpendicular to the track. There are often multiple tracks on one side of the table and a single track on the other."

Onto my description of the table:

This transfer table can hold the Emerald Night, and can be modified to have more than 2 tracks, and become longer for larger engines. (Anyone with as train longer than four tracks is going to need to extend this table!) As a bonus, my updated Emerald Night with 7 wide tender is included with the LXF download.

1343664348m_DISPLAY.jpg

The whole model.

13436643501_DISPLAY.jpg

The overhead shot unfortunalty doesn't show the engine on the table. A flaw in LDD won't led me put anything directly on the light grey tracks.

13436643512_DISPLAY.jpg

This was the best I could do without cheating. The back wheels are still on the dark grey tracks, so it will connect, but not any further than where it is in this picture.

13436643533_DISPLAY.jpg

This picture shows what the transfer table was designed to do: Connect with my shed. The shed will be finished soon, so keep an eye out!

Here is the file: LXF link

Comments, questions & etc. weclome!

EDIT August 1st 2012

The RR shed is here:

1343841520m_DISPLAY.jpg

This shed is missing 1 part... 38 of the Window 1 x 4 x 5 (Old Light Grey). The piece is strangely not in LDD, but the glass is... so this is technically not finished yet. (I've also inlcuded two extra glass pieces just so you have more than enough in case I miscounted the window holes.)

13438415221_DISPLAY.jpg

The rear is cool too, but it look better with windows.

13438415232_DISPLAY.jpg

The rear of the building give 2 extra studs so the tracks don't stick out the end of the wall.

13438415253_DISPLAY.jpg

The Emerald Night (and / or my many MOD's) fits perfectley. However, You may be asking, why is it so tall with all that extra space? My Reason: What if you had a very tall locomotive, or even one with pantographs (like on an eletric engine)? That space works perfectley then. If you think it looks wierd, the change it. The LXf is right here, after all.

Comming Soon: (Eventually) Modular Tunnels! :excited:

Edited by Murdoch17

A transfer table, also called a traverser (especially in the U.K.),

nice :thumbup:

My transfer table

movable bridge made in 2006.

Meanwhile demolished for a total new

layout in 2012.

My layout

*huh*

Edited by patje

That looks pretty cool. But what I want to know is how you managed to get the different track types to match up? In the picture there doesn't appear to be a space between the indiviual rails on the movable section, and the regular modeled rail pieces. But I know from my own attempts at matching up the two on a plate (or baseplate) that the closets they can get to each other (unmodified) will leave a half-stud space between them. If there is such a space, how do the locomotives handle it?

@ domboy, The 1-stud space between the tracks is covered up by the light bluish grey 1x3 tiles. (I can't seem to accsess my MOCpage to give you a picture... so here it is on EB!) The dark red track is to let you see against the dark grey plates.

@ anticyclone, Sorry, no plans to make it motorized. but if you want to, you (or anyone else) may want to try, be my guest! :grin:

@ patje, I'm sorry but i can't look at your picture, as I don't have Windows media player 9, as it is needed to view the photo. I'm sure it looks nice though!

@ wedge 09, wait till you see the locomotive shed! (Should be up sometime tomorrow, if MOC pages is back up.)

Edited by Murdoch17

@ patje, I'm sorry but i can't look at your picture, as I don't have Windows media player 9, as it is needed to view the photo. I'm sure it looks nice though!

Murdoch17, it's a movie you do not see , regret

with the working bridge

My pictures

Edited by patje

I really enjoy seeing interesting pieces of equipment like this.

Thanks for posting it.

Nice one, Murdoch17.

I like your engine shed.

You may be able to eliminate the half stud gap by mounting the PF rails on jumper plates.

:classic: :classic:

@ Patje. I looked at the link you posted.... that trasfer table is WAY better than mine... but just to show the diffirent styles of how to do this:

normal_IMG_0001.JPG

THIS is Patje's work...

13436643533_DISPLAY.jpg

...And this is mine. I like his better!

(I hope it's okay to post this picture? :blush: )

@ AussieJimbo, thanks for the info!

Edited by Murdoch17

This looks quite similar in theory to the version produced by Duq. There's a picture here

IMG_5623.preview.JPG

and here

IMG_0234.preview.JPG

but no doubt there are better pictures around.

Just wondering how all the 9v guys go about getting power connected to their transfer tables/turn tables? or are the trains PF?

This was a very nice solution. I've been planning a transferboard for years, and have made some tryouts over the years. As a matter of fact i was working on it yesterday evening. This will make me increase my efforts! I hope to be able to show some pictures eventually.

Nice work!

How do you ensure that the trains won't derail over the gap between the track and the transfer table?

The NEW SHED I told you about is on Page 1, Post 1!

Also, can the Brickster (or any other mod) Please Change the title & subtitle to:

Title: LDD MOCs: Locomotive Transfer Table & Train Shed

Subtitle: LXF's included for both models!

Thank You!

Edited by Murdoch17

How do you get train tracks on LLD i cant

Well, depending on what kind of tracks... If you use extended mode: see the large PF motor tab for 9V track. If you enter rail in the upper box, you get quite some relevant parts. So the straight 12V rail (the one also in the mining set and quite some other sets) is in the tab with the steering wheel icon, flex and PF tracks are also there plus 4-wide tracks from e.g. Indy.

In general: I just finished part of a transfer table / bride for my LEGOWorld 2012 Zwolle project with the 4204 set incorporated in it.

Well, depending on what kind of tracks... If you use extended mode: see the large PF motor tab for 9V track. If you enter rail in the upper box, you get quite some relevant parts. So the straight 12V rail (the one also in the mining set and quite some other sets) is in the tab with the steering wheel icon, flex and PF tracks are also there plus 4-wide tracks from e.g. Indy.

In general: I just finished part of a transfer table / bride for my LEGOWorld 2012 Zwolle project with the 4204 set incorporated in it.

Many thanks i found them but cant find no points :(

Many thanks i found them but cant find no points :(

Well, then you just use the search function for "points", are you sure you have the most recent version?! At least I have verified that both 75541 and 75542 are in version 4.2.5.

Well, then you just use the search function for "points", are you sure you have the most recent version?! At least I have verified that both 75541 and 75542 are in version 4.2.5.

I think what he is saying is that the RC tracks have no switches currently in LDD. The 9V ones do not work with the RC track digitally, for some odd reason, and RC track is the only track that works on baseplates in this program. It's quite a problem if your building an entire layout in LDD.

Oh, and while we are talking about mssing items in LDD, what about these also missing pieces:

60128.jpg?0

Double RC Crossover

32087.gif?0

9V Crossing (I wish this were made in a RC version as well!)

2866.jpg?0

Train Ground Throw / Track Switch

And all the 12V & 4.5 track parts are needed too!

(Sorry if this is getting off topic! :blush: )

I totally agree, they even now and then withdraw parts that were in my opinion fine and needed!