#1 mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Member: 24623

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hi!

Here is the current state (15.09.2012) of Woodward:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by mephistopheles, 15 September 2012 - 09:51 AM.

My Flickr

All hail Avalonia!
Lord of Woodward, Champion of Avalonia, Lord High Executioner, Prince of the Forest, Siege Expert
Woodward on Wikipedia

#2 Captain BeerBeard

Captain BeerBeard

• Ringleader

Member: 18031

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

Please, don't make the river like that. It looks way too crazy for your scene.
Nocturnus Scoundrel

#3 mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

What part don't you like? The shape? The technique? I actually like it :)
My Flickr

All hail Avalonia!
Lord of Woodward, Champion of Avalonia, Lord High Executioner, Prince of the Forest, Siege Expert
Woodward on Wikipedia

#4 soccerkid6

soccerkid6

• Mitgardia's moccing machine

Member: 20775

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

Excellent start, I'm looking forward to seeing it progress  :classic:

I think Captain BeerBeard is referring to the technique
Sir Glorfindel of Mitgardia, Architect Regent of Valholl, Officer of Valholl, Treasurer of the Valholl Mason's guild, Economic Titan, Knight of Valholl, Mason Teacher, Shadow Rider, Gentleman, Farmer, and Protector in the Guilds of Historica
Here is my website: http://brickbuilt.org
My flickr: link
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

#5 Captain BeerBeard

Captain BeerBeard

• Ringleader

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

View Postmephistopheles, on 28 July 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

What part don't you like? The shape? The technique? I actually like it :)
The water effect looks too strong for such a narrow water way.
Nocturnus Scoundrel

#6 Legonardo

Legonardo

• Can't Build With One Arm Tied Behind His Back

Member: 22773

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

View PostCaptain BeerBeard, on 28 July 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

The water effect looks too strong for such a narrow water way.
Rapids?
looking good Meph, looking forward to seeing more :thumbup:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Legonardo

Posted Image

Flickr

#7 Captain BeerBeard

Captain BeerBeard

• Ringleader

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

View PostLegonardo Davidy, on 28 July 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

Rapids?
looking good Meph, looking forward to seeing more :thumbup:
Rapids? He should probably lower the water level.He could get more use out of the trans plates that way .

Edited by Captain BeerBeard, 28 July 2012 - 01:01 PM.

Nocturnus Scoundrel

#8 mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

I don't own any trans plates. My original plan was to build the river like shown in DC's guide. However the trans plates needed for that come at a ridiculously high price combined with low availability in Europe. Importing from the USA would be also too expensive because of the increased shipping cost and customs.

So this is the alternative and I actually like it a lot. I have seen pretty many fast streams in south Germany, which is a very inspiring area for me. At least this technique adds the feeling of "movement" to it. There will be elevations in the scene so it will make sense that the stream will be fast flowing.

Thanks for your honest criticism anyway Captain BB, it is very welcome. Just in this case we have a different taste of things. I am sure to keep this technique for the stream.
My Flickr

All hail Avalonia!
Woodward on Wikipedia

#9 Kayne

Kayne

Member: 23719

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

Looking very cool, I think the 64 x 64 size is a great size for a MOC of this nature, and the start you have looks good.  I keep thinking I'm going to start a 64x64 Castle/Keep for my sigfig.....but then a new challenge is announced and I get totally focused on that and the baseplates just sit there.  I really need to get motivated...this just might motivate me!

MoonLord Kha-Lord of Ras-El-Ahken-Kaliphlin
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My MOCpagesMy Flickrhttp://www.bricklink...p=darkenrahl_17 Kayne is able(Bricklink)

#10 Mike S

Mike S

• New Daddy!

Member: 26273

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

View Postmephistopheles, on 28 July 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

I don't own any trans plates. My original plan was to build the river like shown in DC's guide. However the trans plates needed for that come at a ridiculously high price combined with low availability in Europe. Importing from the USA would be also too expensive because of the increased shipping cost and customs.
So this is the alternative and I actually like it a lot. I have seen pretty many fast streams in south Germany, which is a very inspiring area for me. At least this technique adds the feeling of "movement" to it. There will be elevations in the scene so it will make sense that the stream will be fast flowing.

I have to agree with you here. There are so many techniques to use but in the end we all have to make use of the pieces/budget we have available.  In this case I think you did an excellent job!Posted Image
The hardest part of GoH IMO is taking into account the diversity of LEGO collections each member has. I have come to the conclusion that given a collection that DC has for example, most GoH builders would produce some equally awesome stuff. I'm actually experiencing the "limited LEGO collection" effect as I work on challenge 4. I really did not realize how limited my collection of blue was. And my entry is a water scene...Posted Image

Come explore the lands of the Guilds of Historica

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 Umbro Stormborn

Umbro Stormborn

Member: 25652

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:37 AM

This looks like its gonna be great, can't wait for the finished product.

#12 Ecclesiastes

Ecclesiastes

• Master of "da hood"

Member: 17645

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

This looks promissing! :thumbup:

I myself like that water technic, because small streams often contain rapid water. Maybe you could add some elevation in the stream?!

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image
There's a time for tearing down and a time for building. - Ecclesiastes

My Flickr

#13 mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

View PostEcclesiastes, on 29 July 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

This looks promissing! :thumbup:

I myself like that water technic, because small streams often contain rapid water. Maybe you could add some elevation in the stream?!

Will do so!  :classic:
My Flickr

All hail Avalonia!
Woodward on Wikipedia

#14 Zach Mills

Zach Mills

Member: 26901

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:08 AM

Good luck landscaping with dark green plates. You have set yourself quite the challenge.

#15 Captain BeerBeard

Captain BeerBeard

• Ringleader

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

Thanks for your honest criticism anyway Captain BB, it is very welcome. Just in this case we have a different taste of things. I am sure to keep this technique for the stream.
Those are trans blue 1x1 round plates your using. You are misunderstanding me. I read through all the posts. I had no idea that there are very narrow rivers that go that fast through Germany! My question then is do they look like they're going to flood over the edge onto land?
Nocturnus Scoundrel

#16 Captain BeerBeard

Captain BeerBeard

• Ringleader

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

Those are trans blue 1x1 round plates your using. You are misunderstanding me. I read through all the posts. I had no idea that there are very narrow rivers that go that fast through Germany! My question then is do they look like they're going to flood over the edge onto land?
Nocturnus Scoundrel

#17 Legonardo

Legonardo

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

View PostCaptain BeerBeard, on 31 July 2012 - 06:35 AM, said:

Occasionally  :sweet: (I am German too)

Legonardo

Posted Image

Flickr

#18 Captain BeerBeard

Captain BeerBeard

• Ringleader

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

View PostLegonardo Davidy, on 31 July 2012 - 07:03 AM, said:

Occasionally  :sweet: (I am German too)
Does anyone have some real life photo's they would care to share?
Nocturnus Scoundrel

#19 hohesC

hohesC

Member: 18794

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

View PostCaptain BeerBeard, on 31 July 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

Does anyone have some real life photo's they would care to share?

This is a quite famous surfing spot in Munich. You might want to check out this video to get a feeling for the speed. And of course, the farther up you go, the faster down the streams and rivers flow.  :classic:

Cheers, C*

#20 Legonardo

Legonardo

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

View PosthohesC, on 31 July 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

This is a quite famous surfing spot in Munich. You might want to check out this video to get a feeling for the speed. And of course, the farther up you go, the faster down the streams and rivers flow.  :classic:

Cheers, C*

OK well that is a great example, I come from Ahern in the Black forest so I have seen many fast narrow rivers,(narrower then our surfing example here) If I can find any without having to dive into my hard drive I'll post some Pics.
~Dangerous

Legonardo

Posted Image

Flickr

#21 kabel

kabel

• lower case

Member: 6745

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

although definetely a really cool spot, the eisbach is more of a channel than a real river. But wild rivers like that can be found all over Germany whereever you have mountains: like this one near my hometown
Steen Larsson
Carpenter
Royal Architect of Mitgardia and Vice Admiral of the Mitgardian fleet

Posted Image   Posted Image

My Brickshelf

My Flickr

Medieval Ships

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#22 de Gothia

de Gothia

• Still really, really, REALLY wants to join Nocturnus.

Member: 18035

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

Great start! Looks really promising!

Regarding the stream, I´ve worked in many streams that are narrow and with fast running water. Every time the river runs in to areas where the ground is more solid the river runs more rapidly. The video link above is not the greatest example though, as the whole section of the river is built by man. Not so naturally in other words  :classic:

de Gothia of Avalonia

My Flickr

#23 mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

Updated!

I'll be joining a Hungarian LEGO exhibition on October 5th-7th. For this event I want to finish this 2x3 baseplate build. I changed much of the original concept in order to hit the deadline. There will be a professional photographer at the scene, so stay tuned for some great pictures!  

Here are two teaser pictures I took with my phone:

Posted Image

Posted Image
My Flickr

All hail Avalonia!
Woodward on Wikipedia

#24 Bricktooth

Bricktooth

Member: 29472

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

This is an excellent start! I would love to go to the convention, but I'm not sure if I have time for it. The only thing I would change is the shape of the river; because of its shape, it looks like a swimming pool with a lot of plants in it to me. :grin:
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. - First Doctor
My Brickshelf gallery

#25 mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

View PostBricktooth, on 15 September 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

This is an excellent start! I would love to go to the convention, but I'm not sure if I have time for it. The only thing I would change is the shape of the river; because of its shape, it looks like a swimming pool with a lot of plants in it to me. :grin:

Haha!

It's not a river! This is supposed to be a lake  :tongue:
My Flickr

All hail Avalonia!
Woodward on Wikipedia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users