• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic  – Started by Merlins owl , Jul 24 2012 03:07 AM

#26 Frank Brick Wright

Frank Brick Wright
  • Baby Minifigure

Member: 20080

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostMerlins owl, on 21 October 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

The stern is a prototype so don't mind it.

For a prototype this is a very complete version, and also a very beautiful one! The view of the brown tumblehome is fantastic! I'd suggest though that you increased the tumblehome at the bow :wink: Whilst I think the height is OK, as galleons could have a very high forecastle,

Posted Image

yours seems a bit bulky and squarish, as the the last few bricks are basically vertical.

I specially like your unique stern. We usually get to see heavy sterns with lots of gold and yellow details and yours is simple and elegant. Good job on that! :thumbup: The lines seen from the back seem almost perfect, where the almost is those 1x2 inverted brown slopes you have used to build the stern upwards from the prefab hull. The angle should be a little more complicated than uniformly 45º, as you can easily check in Nuestra Senora:

Posted Image

So if you are considering rebuilding the stern these are good ideas to keep in mind :classic:

A ship is floating in the harbour now,

The wind is hovering o'er the mountain's brow;

There is a path on the sea's azure floor,

No keel has ever ploughed that path before

(Percy Bysshe Shelley)

MOCPages account, Flickr and Brickshelf

#27 Merlins owl

Merlins owl

Member: 29856

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

Wow, I marvel at the Nuestra Señora. Such colour and detail, I am hoping that my Galleon may be as beautiful as that ^. I will certainly look into modifying the stern (right now actually) and see about getting rid of some of those 45 degree 1X2s.

Thank you admiral Croissant for pointing out that they are in fact facing the wrong direction! I must not have noticed when I was assembling them. From my understanding is that when a mast collapses these sharp hooks would cut through and damage the attackers rigging and sails. However, I am not sure if anyone has proven this.

Edited by Merlins owl, 22 October 2012 - 09:16 PM.

#28 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!

Member: 4578

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

Noo! I'm not saying the've been pointed into the wrong direction :classic:
I knew that the hooks on the image I posted were meant for damaging sails, but I also had this image:

Posted Image

These hooks are quite small and in the opposite direction, so I was wondering if they were meant for the same purpose, or if they were just boarding hooks tied to the yards. But it seems like you don't know that either.
Still, they would be a nice detail for your galleon so please keep them :pirate:

EDIT: A quick google search learned that they are called "sheerhooks", "grippling hooks" or "bill-hooks" but they were not thrown at an enemy ship.
Got questions? Need help? New member?                            
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages

#29 Merlins owl

Merlins owl

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

May I see the full image?

EDIT: nice, good to know! Thanks.

Edited by Merlins owl, 22 October 2012 - 10:37 PM.

#30 Merlins owl

Merlins owl

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

I decided to redesign the bow after noticing it was a bit narrow and long.Posted Image
I used the same inverted arches as in my stern design, it turn out to be strong and very smooth. I may cut out a small piece of dark red sticker from a Lego set to finish the lower dark red line for it is blocked by the inverted arch piece. Here is an image of the whole ship with the new bow.
Posted Image

Edited by Merlins owl, 23 October 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#31 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!

Member: 3891

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

I like the hooks at the end of the booms and I love how you build the railing part with the cheese slopes at the prow (I don't know the correct terminology).
Keep it up!
Posted Image

#32 Merlins owl

Merlins owl

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

I will get around updating this soon again! I am waiting for a large BrickLink order as to replace all the coloured bricks within the ship. When all the pieces are replaced, I can set the final decks and begin rigging/sails. Certainly the bow will be complete, overall height of the ship will also be decreased by one entire brick if possible (it may not be so, we will see).

Posted Image

#33 Merlins owl

Merlins owl

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

Finally got around to my bricklink order! Made some progress on the deck and finally built some cannons! I also decided that the original lego anchor was simply to small so I went about making my own. Check out the pictures and feel free to criticize.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Just for fun, a birds eye view!
Posted Image
I will still be messing around with the deck (and surely what lies beneath, considering the mass of coloured bricks) and the masts before I even begin to think up some rigging.

Cheers, Merlin

#34 Matteo1130

Matteo1130

Member: 7576

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

I think nuestra senora is great.. but this galleon is great too, in a different way. It's a good thing to see different styles in this brick sea ;)
In this I love the overall finish of the bow, details on the deck, crow's nest in the bowsprit.
The only thing I would change are just cosmetics: on the bow there are no access to the bowsprit from gundeck, for example here:
http://www.mocpages....434/13718035921
I tried (inspired by Sebeus's small ships)  to make a couple minifig illusion accesses and I think they could look great on this galleon too...even if, I have to say, I don't know if that could be historically correct.

Edited by Matteo1130, 26 June 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#35 Merlins owl

Merlins owl

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

Finally I have a chance to sit down and make some sails! It has been a while, but it is starting to look a bit more complete around here. I will post more Pictures soon!

Posted Image

#36 Merlins owl

Merlins owl

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

Here we have my successful attempt at transfer paper for lego sails! I generated the images using photoshop and man did they come out clean! Have a look!
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links