Merlins owl

Spanish Galleon Project (WIP)

Now that the prototype is complete, I can begin the true structure of this Galleon. This is my first Lego ship and it was this complete when i first discovered this website and the the famous Nuestra Senora de la Concepcion. I can promise that this galleon was in no way based on that ship.

EDIT: I have come up with a name! The Espirito Santo, "Holy Spirit" in Portuguese. This is no longer a Spanish galleon, rather a Portuguese galleon.

post-29856-13430959719268.jpg

post-29856-13430961451164.jpg

Edited by Merlins owl

Now that the prototype is complete, I can begin the true structure of the Galleon. This is my first ever Lego ship and I hope it turn out well.

This is an armada ship, anyone have an idea for a name?

It's looking great so far! :pir-wink: Perhaps you can use something religious as the name of the ship.

You're off to a good start, looking forward to how this progresses

~Legonardo

^ Wow, that looks great. Is it stable?

Oh yes, it is actually the most stable front design I have come up with for this galleon (it is also the best).

The bow looks marvelous, love the stripes and the technique! Really Hope to see more pics.^^

And good luck with the rest of the ship!

I am having such difficulty posting pictures on this website! I can never get it to work right, my pictures always end up being so low quality and random sizes. How do you guys get high quality, large pictures on this website posted!

Edited by Merlins owl

I use Flickr http://www.flickr.com/

Its easy, once you have an account (they are free, you can even log in through yahoo, Gmail or Facebook) you can upload images. when they are uploaded, right click the image and it will ask what size you want and you select the desired size. the size limit here is 800 x 600, so don't go beyond that. once you have that done right click again and select "image location" or "Image URL".

When posting on Eurobricks click the little Icon under the smiley face labeled "image" (it has a tree) then Ctrl + V in the little thing where it says URL.

this can also be done through Brickshelf but the images need to be resized before uploaded and they take some time to become public.

I should make that a tutorial :tongue:

hope it helps!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking forward to how this progresses!

Thanks Legonardo! This is the prototype for my deck! How do you guys like my conquistador crew!

EDIT: This idea for the curved rail is out, I simply cannot get inspired to make it look correct.

8088099736_b132e152cd_c.jpg

Edited by Merlins owl

Very nice, I mean, very very nice, I love how you integrated the brown frogs, from what I can see this looks pretty awesome so far. I don't know much about historical context but I must say I haven't seen such curved frame on deck before. I like it though, looking forward to more updates.

This is a very good-looking project! I hope we can get more pictures soon :classic: I'm not very sure about the accuracy of the arched structure but it certainly looks pretty nice, as well as the tan deck and the stairs. I think you are doing an excellent job over here.

I would like to suggest two points for further improvement:

• The pins where you will attach the shrouds/deadeyes look too close to each other. In general galleons - specially of this size - had huge shrouds expanding far astern. I think yours look somewhat too close to each other.

pal-ship9.jpg

• On another note I like the mechanism you used to fix the angles: that brown frog :laugh: The problem here is that anchors usually were fixed parallel to the waterline.

stock-photo-old-spanish-galleon-in-the-port-of-genoa-23065219.jpg

It would have rather bad effects for your tumblehome/gunports if in real life you just dropped a really really heavy anchor from that position :tongue:

conquistador!!

That reminds me of Pirate of the Burning Sea...lol

Anyway, it's a very nice galleon and keep it up! Although IMO your black to brown ratio in the mass is not very accurate.

Thank you all! This is why I posted this WIP, I love all your advice! I will get to fixing any historical inaccuracies as quickly as I can. As for the arched structure, it is to have a walk way on it. I will post an example of it as soon as I get back to my home computer. Oh and Frank Brick Wright, I have been looking in my lego boxes for some larger technic bricks for a while, I was planning on making them larger. Thanks!

Sorry, had to screen shot it...so there is the walkway and arched structure. Not as arched as mine however. I may get around to changing the arches to smaller ones.

8097873829_e9c595075a_c.jpg

Edited by Merlins owl

I think you should keep those larger arches, dont change them! They look much better IMO even if they may not be that realistic. Could we get overall picture of entire ship?

Captain Becker

Amazing! I love the structure of the ship and IMO the bigger arches are better, keep them! Will we get to see some cannons soon?

Amazing! I love the structure of the ship and IMO the bigger arches are better, keep them! Will we get to see some cannons soon?

It is looking like I may have to go with smaller arches. I need to use jumper plates for the arches are 5 studs wide at the top...if i did not use the jumpers it would call for an uneven walkway which will be difficult. But it is worth a third try!

Edited by Merlins owl

I think the bow is too high and the back gallery too low. Also its pretty high atm. But overall its looking good. Keep it up.

Captain Becker

Very nice, detailed, and creative ship. I do agree the deck might be a bit too high, but once you add the sails I think it wont really matter. Great Overall! :thumbup:

Edited by Grimmbeard

I decided to add a small rail to increase the height.

8109558649_4dae3e771e_c.jpg

The stern is a prototype so don't mind it.

8109566886_cc54719813_c.jpg

I have also since added 6 gun ports to the upper deck, sorry I did not include any pictures.

Edited by Merlins owl

This is the prototype for my deck! How do you guys like my conquistador crew!

Your conquistaor crew meets with high approval!

Long live the Imperial Armada! :pir-devil:

I'm very impressed by this amazing ship.

The line is perfect, great bow, great castle, I love it from all angles!

The way the railing on the upper deck follows the line of the ship is special. I like that a lot.

I could go on and on about all the things I like about this ship :thumbup:

Beautiful! It's quite remarkable how similar to the Nuestra Señora this is in some ways, but with many excellent unique features.

The stern view looks very realistic. I like the fact that it only has 1 small window and the frog details are nice as well.

I also noticed the hooks at the end of the yards. I found those before and I wondered how effective they would have been.

On another image (of an English galleon?) they are much larger and pointed in the opposite direction:

nummer1a.png

So I wondered if perhaps your hooks are just for boarding an enemy ship, but I hope you can give a clear answer to that.

Anyway, great job! :thumbup: