MOC: Type 08 British Rail Diesel Shunter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hrw-Amen

Hrw-Amen

Member: 17080

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

This is the most chunky of my British Rail shunters so far, in that respect I guess it matches the real thing as they are rather 'Brick' like in appearance.Posted Image
Posted Image
When I was a small child I remember seeing these running locally I think they still use them even though it was some 40 odd years ago that I saw them near where I live? I am pretty sure I saw a black one in Southampton back last year, but I could have been dreaming!

Anyway, this one inspite of its brick like appearance does have a lot of details that I have tried to capture on the model. Hopefully it will be recognisable to most fans of small British Diesels?

It uses a medium motor so it does not run very fast at top speed, but then again it is not supped to as it is for shunting. It is quite heavy actually! I have also used BBB medium wheels as these seemed more in keeping to the real thing than the smaller wheels used on the smaller diesels I built.

Here is the Brickshelf gallery:http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=508464

Here is the flickr gallery: <iframe align="center" src="http://www.flickr.com/slideShow/index.gne?user_id=hrw-amen&set_id=72157630710076818" frameBorder="0" width="500" height="500"></iframe>

#2 pinioncorp

pinioncorp

Member: 8765

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

Looks great! The use of the Medium wheels works well to keep it in proportion. Any chance of a video of it in action?

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Rijkjavik

Rijkjavik

Member: 3527

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

This looks great indeed. It looks a lot like the NS 600, I think they are the same family of shunter locs. I think it's too high though, but looking to your pictures it has to be to get all the PF components inside.
:thumbup:
Have you tested it with some waggons? Do the BBB wheels have enough traction?

It's multifunctionomical.

Posted Image Posted Image

Flickr

#4 Hrw-Amen

Hrw-Amen

Member: 17080

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostRichie, on 25 July 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

This looks great indeed. It looks a lot like the NS 600, I think they are the same family of shunter locs. I think it's too high though, but looking to your pictures it has to be to get all the PF components inside.
:thumbup:
Have you tested it with some waggons? Do the BBB wheels have enough traction?

I would have liked it to have been about a brick lower, but it was impossible as far as I could tell with fitting everything in. Also it would have had to loose some of the detailing which I did not want to do. Having said that the engines in real life are rather block like and short and stubby.

I have run it on a section of straight track set up on my desk on which it pulled and pushed three wagons without any issues. There do not seem to be any traction problems that I could tell, although it has not run around a proper circuit yet. Like I said it is nowhere near as fast as the smaller diesels made with the standard train motor, but that is not a problem as it is for shunting. In fact I would like to slow the other two down a bit if possible as they should not be racing about like an express train.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users