Review: 6399 Airport Shuttle (1990)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Review: 6399 Airport Shuttle (1990) (87 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this set?

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Below Average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Average (2 votes [2.30%])

Percentage of vote: 2.30%

4. Above Average (12 votes [13.79%])

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

5. Excellent (73 votes [83.91%])

Percentage of vote: 83.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:58 AM

On this 19th day of July in the year 2012, I, as EB Train Tech moderator, LEGO Wild West, and Classic Town fan, I hereby award the prestigious honorary Train Tech tag to none other than EB member and recenty acknowledged Review Academy Teacher, Mostlytechnic. :thumbup:

#27 mostlytechnic

mostlytechnic

• bait boy...no, wait, SCUM!!

Member: 12726

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:57 AM

Aw, another cool icon to go with the gold RA badge. Thanks!

Now time to to take photos for my next review...

Mostlytechnic's Bazaar post | Mostlytechnic's Bricklink store

Currently playing as Amelto Inzerillo in JJP's Convention Mafia

Survived and won as the loyal investigator Daniel Bartell in mediumsnowman's Shield vs Hydra Mafia

Won as scummy Wilfred Orann, Miller of Cresthaven, in Dragonfire's Kingdom Mafia

Won as loyal Ewan Breckenridge in DLL / JJP's Second Crash Mafia

Lost as the loyal vig 4 of 2, Human cyborg Technician in DLL / JJP's Blacktron Mafia

Won as Munud the Strange, loyal Alchemist in TinyPie's Ragnarok 3 Mafia (vanilla)

Lost as Irene Allen, scum Firefighter in bob's Main Street Mafia (killer)

Lost as the scummy War Machine in def's Cosplay Mafia II (killer)

Won as scum Jack Pine in Walter Kovac's Unrest in the Forest Mafia (4-shot janitor)

Scum killed and lost as town Maurice Teichman - Representative from Technic Valley in Tamamono's Party Lines Mafia (spy - watcher/tracker)

Scum-killed night one but won as town Storm in speedy's Cosplay Mafia (vanilla)

Died in the conclusion, losing because he's an idiot as townie Monty Thornton, the cook aboard the USS Portland in jamesn's Red Mafia (vig)

Survived and won as town Brice Marden in Hinck and Trumpet's Minimal Mafia (one-shot PGO)

Survived to the conclusion as a winning town musician / decorator Melanie Detruccio in TrumpetKing's CMF Mafia (vanilla)

Poisoned (and lost) as townie Molly Tennant, saloon dancer in Tamamono's Silver City Mafia (vanilla)

Won (but night-killed near the end) as the townie The Talking Animal in Zepher's Mafia Mafia (vanilla)

Survived till the end (but still lost) as townie Mary Jane the Jock in Aperture Academy (vanilla, I think)

#28 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:23 AM

You need an avatar now.

#29 funkdis

funkdis

Member: 29212

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:24 AM

the amount of times i gawked at the lego catalogue photos and the boxes at the toy store wishing it was in my set.

Awesome review!

#30 harmacy

harmacy

Member: 4130

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

I bought this set used off BL later last year, and have not once regretted the price I paid for it ($600USD) The copy I got was in amazing condition, with all box inserts and packaging complete, as well as clean shiny bricks and a mint manual. Its such a great set, and I even prefer it to many of my UCS models. The only issue is as identified in the review - being the space to display it, but it just so worth having out!

Great review!

UCS does not mean 'Ultimate Collector Series', it means 'Unavoidable Cash Sucker'.

#31 Hey Joe

Hey Joe

Member: 29259

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

Many thanks for the awesome review of an awesome set.

That motor is very very interesting to me, the way it sits in between the cars like that.  Did LEGO use that configuration in other sets as well?
My family's collection on Brickset: http://www.brickset....?ownedBy=bjtpro

Check out my 1st review; 10250 Creator - Year of the Snake here

#32 kieran

kieran

Member: 28056

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

View Postbjtpro, on 20 July 2012 - 10:13 AM, said:

Many thanks for the awesome review of an awesome set.

That motor is very very interesting to me, the way it sits in between the cars like that.  Did LEGO use that configuration in other sets as well?

They sure did in set 6990, I have this set and would love the airport shuttle as well, but its so expensive now. oh well.

very nice review, photos are excellent

#33 Only Sinner

Only Sinner

Member: 21171

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Hey, what a great review. Nice, clear photos too. All the younger folks reading this are probably thinking,"So THAT'S what a pay phone used to look like."  :tongue:
Posted Image

#34 snefroe

snefroe

• waisted plastic

Member: 230

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

excellent review! :sweet:

well, what to say about this set? it's a masterpiece, probably the number 1 set of the nineties... it's got style, great colors, great design, smashing minifigs... maybe that's the only weaker spot: you only get classic smilies. Maybe this set could have been a good moment to launch printed minifig heads in "town"... oh well... enough to drool about anyway... ah yes... another spot: too rare and too expensive...

at that time, i thought "ok... next year we'll get new monorail sets, like a different train, something cheaper, cos i can't afford this now..." ... still can't afford a new one, really... :cry_sad:

a shame that this is a "one off"... it would have been great to have had a set like "Lego's train engine shed, no 10027" for these monorails... oh well...

#35 Brix4U

Brix4U

Member: 29798

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

OMG I know I am new here and so my opinion is probably not rated that high, but ... that was a fantastic review I really was gripped by your writing style it sucked me straight in. We have been after this set complete for ages from my personal childhood nostalgic view. You have just brought back to me all my memories. Thank you so very much. This was a set where imagination really could go wild. Thank you once more.

#36 Wrinkledog

Wrinkledog

Member: 28743

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:31 AM

Fantastic Review... This is a set I have never had the luck of seeing in person. Thanks for providing an in depth review!
My Cuusoo Project:      

Posted Image

#37 Vestabuyer

Vestabuyer

Member: 6373

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:43 AM

Greetings!  :classic:

"Bricklink only shows 4 having been sold in the last 6 months!"

Great review and congrads on graduating! I have to admit that at least two of thos yellow awnings was bought by me. It took me about three months to gather all the parts from bricklink to build my own copy...sure was worth it! :classic:

Edited by Vestabuyer, 22 July 2012 - 03:43 AM.

Posted Image
Stop! Give me back my cart you knuckle-head!

#38 Brinstar

Brinstar

Member: 21451

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

A fantastic review of a great old set. This was by far the best of the old monorail sets and your wonderful pictures show it in all its glory. I can't think of a better town set from the early nineties. I'd love to own this myself at some point but its such a rare and sought after set, I doubt I could ever afford it.  :sad:

#39 ZeldaTheSwordsman

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Member: 117661

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:29 AM

It's a bit necro, but something I would like to point out since no-one else has:

Mostlytechnic, those two seats on the far side of the street that seemed random to you do have a purpose. They appear to be meant as a basic bus stop. There's no sign, true, but otherwise they fit the bill.
Please abuse me; I deserve it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users