Sign in to follow this  
Sir_Basil_Ashton

Review: 30163 Thor and the Cosmic Cube

Hello fans! I recently took my family to Legoland California for the first time. At "The Big Store" I noticed a lot of the new sets that are popping up at retail stores as well as this Thor polybag that I had never heard of. I have always wanted to contribute to the site with a review and figured this was my chance. So without delay, my first review.

Name: Thor and the Cosmic Cube

Set Number: 30163

Pieces: 25

Minifigs: Thor

Price: $3.99(USD)

Theme: Marvel Super Heroes

Year: 2012

From what I've read on Brickset, the only place to find this polybag right now is at Legoland California. I'm sure that'll change shortly.

Bag Front:

DSC07386.jpg

Nothing too exciting, just Thor in action.

Bag Back:

DSC07387.jpg

The standard back.

The Contents:

DSC07392.jpg

No new pieces or unique colors that I'm aware of.

Extra Pieces:

DSC07419.jpg

Extra pieces are always a bonus.

Manual Front:

DSC07393.jpg

Steps 1-4 on the front.

Manual Back:

DSC07394.jpg

Steps 5 & 6 on the back. There's an eye warning but as much as I tried, I couldn't get Thor to knock the bricks hard enough to fly with substantial velocity.

Minifig Front:

DSC07396.jpgDSC07403.jpg

Same Thor minifig available in Hulk's Hellicarrier Breakout and Quinjet Aerial Battle.

Minifig Back:

DSC07401.jpgDSC07402.jpg

Nice backprinting on both the torso and head. This seems to be the standard in the licensed themes.

With Cape:

DSC07406.jpgDSC07408.jpg

Although I like the backprinting, Thor looks better with his cape.

The Cosmic Cube:

DSC07411.jpgDSC07412.jpg

It's been awhile since I watched the movie so I don't remember this scene.

Thor freeing the Cosmic Cube:

DSC07415.jpgDSC07416.jpg

Not the best action sequence ever but Thor does get the cube.

Overall Set:

DSC07418.jpg

I tried different poses but this was the best I could do.

Ratings:

Design:7/10 Nothing too complex to this set.

Price: 10/10 Can't complain, it's a licensed theme polybag.

Minifig: 10/10 My 1st Marvel Heroes minifig. Nice printing.

Playability: 8/10 I'll keep trying to get Thor to launch some bricks.

Build: 7/10 Easy build, even my 3-yo nephew was able to complete it.

Overall: 8.4/10 I grew up on Marvel Comics and I'm glad to see the characters in LEGO. I wasn't a fan of The Avengers but I found the movies quite entertaining. I really wish Marvel took care of The X-Men the way they did with The Avengers but I really can't complain.

By the way, I was able to pick up 6 extras of this polybag. If anyone's interested, shoot me a pm. I'm really looking to trade for other polybags or minifigs but will sell these at cost plus shipping.

Thanks for reading.

Great review, 'Sir_Basil_Ashton'! :sweet:

This set is a really cool polybag. I really like the play feature of it. I'm hoping this starts to appear in more stores soon.

I already have two Thors from the Avengers sets, but I'm a sucker for the polybags so I'm sure I'll buy another one (or two) when I see this.

I was reading this on my iPhone on the way to Legoland, and I'm really glad I did! If I hadn't, I wouldn't have known about this awesome polybag, and I wouldn't have got Thor and completed my Avengers team! Thanks! BTW, great review!

Thanks for the review, Basil. Would love to buy the polybags from you, or trade for other figures. Could you get in touch? Sorry I somehow could not get to PM.

Great! I really need to get one of those. Interesting to see that the cape is in a cardboard envelope here (unlike with the collectible minifigures).

Nice review! I picked up this set at Legoland yesterday, and I love it! (Only for the cheap way to get Thor. :blush: )

Got one at my local TRU yesterday. I would guess they had at least 50 of them. Should be pretty easy to come across and, as others have mentioned, it's a very inexpensive way to get Thor.

Got one at my local TRU yesterday. I would guess they had at least 50 of them. Should be pretty easy to come across and, as others have mentioned, it's a very inexpensive way to get Thor.

For how much? I would love this!

$4.99 at my local TRU (Charleston SC)

They also had about 50 of them.

I don't know. I hope your right, man. I found a box of the Batman jetski polybag the week it hit and the whole box was gone within three days. These polybag figure sets are a dream come true.

Yep. $4.99 here in Cincinnati, OH. If they're not all gone by Friday, I'll pick up a couple extras in case any of you guys have no luck on your end.

TRU is running a promo with this figure - spend $20 on any Legos and you get one free. My local TRU also had a peg up with a price tag for the Thor polybag at $4.99, though all pegs were empty.

Not a bad deal, if you factor the usual TRU mark-up on certain sets. I was looking at getting another LOTR Shelob's Lair for their $21.99, which would make the Thor alittle cheaper.

I just got one today, and you actually had to ask for it (they were kept behind the counters of the registers) But by getting that and the Cosmic Cube Escape, I have half of the Avengers down.

TRU is running a promo with this figure - spend $20 on any Legos and you get one free. My local TRU also had a peg up with a price tag for the Thor polybag at $4.99, though all pegs were empty.

I definitely have to get one of these now.

Thanks for the review. :thumbup:

This is a good way to get Thor. I need to get down to TRU and see if they have any left.

I thought this was sold in lego stores and legoland only and forgot this was at TRU after reading a few posts, so I went on a mission and was a bit scared I wouldn't find any, but after circling the store with no luck, went on to see if the batman encyclopedia was available, then something made me go back to the lego aisle back again only to read a promotion that said buy something over 20 and receive the thor polybag, then I decided to ask the cashier if they sold it separately and he said yes. Thanks guys I would have went nuts! Simple yet effective, they need to do the same with iron man!

Still missing a Thor in my superhero collection, this would be a great way to get him without getting the big sets he comes in, thanks for the heads up and review :thumbup: