Paddy

Patriks Trainmodules

Hello Everybody

Well, first something about me: I`m new here and I hope I´m welcome here :D

My name is Partik, coming from Switzerland and i´m a great Lego Train fan.

I have made a System with Trainmodules for my Lego trains.

So it´s very useable and easy to store.

I let speak the pictures to themself :

Overview

f8e2520368864.jpg

Traincontrol with a Digital DCC System, in the background a 9V Signal that operate with DCC (Like the 12V era)

b6b0c20368866.jpg

Controlstation, a selfmade "Opensource" DCC called OpenDCC

393e120368867.jpg

Switch Point can remotecontrolled via DCC, under the Plate is a Servo.

f815f20368868.jpg

4b78a20368859.jpg

The modules have a high like 6 Lego stones, Bridges can be built (A prototype on the picture)

a547a20368869.jpg

I hope you enjoy this pictures, comments are welcome =)

Patrik

That is interesting especially for those who do not have the space to put a layout up all of the time. Do you have a lot of modules or are you just starting to build them?

I was also wondering how you have managed to get the track fixed down as it appears that you have not used LEGO ballast between the tracks? Is the track fixed by plates we cannot see to the baseplates or have you used some other method?

I do quite like the little rope bridge across the stream. I bet the man on it would get quite shaken up with the train rumbling past next to him!!

Controlstation, a selfmade "Opensource" DCC called OpenDCC

Cool.

Can you tell more about it?

What is the track voltage you use?

How many amps at the track?

And what kind of decoders do you use in the trains?

Hallo Patrik

Willkommen bei Eurobricks... Seems that there is now a small CH component here - with ZuriHB, and an honorary member by way of Steinkopf.

I like the modular concept - makes the models much easier to display and rearrange. Perhaps a solution to my own issues of what to do with them all. The OpenDCC is a nice idea - is this hacked back into the models, or replaces the current IR receiver?

Very interesting. My brother discovered a system of modular units for his model N gauge trains, and I've been wondering if I couldn't do something similar with Lego trains. I am curious, how did you fasten the baseplate to the wood on each module?

That is interesting especially for those who do not have the space to put a layout up all of the time. Do you have a lot of modules or are you just starting to build them?

I was also wondering how you have managed to get the track fixed down as it appears that you have not used LEGO ballast between the tracks? Is the track fixed by plates we cannot see to the baseplates or have you used some other method?

I do quite like the little rope bridge across the stream. I bet the man on it would get quite shaken up with the train rumbling past next to him!!

Well I at least figured out that his track is secured to the baseplates, I do not know how wide the are but they are something of ?x8. I assume they are 1x8 on each side of the track. If you would like to see yourself look at the second picture down behind the 7939 engine, at the end of that rail you can see the plate.

Anyway that is a great module, I have never been big into them just because I like the biggest layout as possible in the amount of space I have :wink:, but this reminds me since its not a big layout you can put a lot of detail in without a lot of time!

Looks great, Rail Co

Edited by Rail Co

I have no idea what DCC is, but your train and layout look great and compact. I would love to get back into trains and incorporate them into my layout once I find more space and get a new place. This seems like a good solution without taking up too much space.

Hello everybody

I have made a little Video to demonstrate the functions of my train system.

Greetings

Patrik

I have no idea what DCC is

DCC, short for digital command control, is a universal standard digital control system in use over multiple model and toy train scales over the past 20 years.

There is a AFOL variant for Mindstorms that dates clear back to 1999: http://home.surewest.net/markril/lego/dcc/

Your take on control is an interesting one, Patrik. I especially like your application of modules in a relatively small space, illustrating that not everyone needs a huge, LEGO dedicated room to have a train layout. default_classic.gif

After watching the video, I'm curious how you control the switch track? is the mechanism below the track/baseplate? Can you share any details or pictures?

After watching the video, I'm curious how you control the switch track? is the mechanism below the track/baseplate? Can you share any details or pictures?

As he's using DCC, he's more than likely using an 'under the baseboard' solenoid switch machine, much like those used in non-LEGO model railways, like this one.

Hi Patrik,

I am currently planning my L-gauge layout and would like to use OpenDCC/BiDiB to control it.

It would be nice to learn from your experience.

I think you use standard LEGO motors inside the 9V train motor blocks.

Which current is applied to the tracks? If more than say 10V, do you "reduce" it using the duty

cycle restrictions fuctionality of the decoder via CVs settings?

Regards

Christian

Hi Patrik,

I am currently planning my L-gauge layout and would like to use OpenDCC/BiDiB to control it.

It would be nice to learn from your experience.

I think you use standard LEGO motors inside the 9V train motor blocks.

Which current is applied to the tracks? If more than say 10V, do you "reduce" it using the duty

cycle restrictions fuctionality of the decoder via CVs settings?

Regards

Christian

Hello Cristian

I use a 12V Power Supply, so i have on the Track 10. max 11V.

I made long tests with the Lego Motors, and i have no Problems with this Voltage.

If you have questions, you can ask me, i also speak german so you can send me a Message :)

I have actually finish my DCC Project, i have build a System that is flexible like Lego :)

I have made three electronic Modules

Bottom is the central unit of openDCC

Middle a booster for powering up the DCC to 3Amps

Upside are the track connections, i made 16x seperate Plugs, when it is connectet to the computer, i can see on which track is a train.

4f8940-1364633447.jpg

91739e-1364633695.jpg

Regards Patrik

There are some neat features here I didn't notice the first time around, e.g., the custom power pickups on the Emerald Night in the video. The ballast is good too.

Hello Patrik,

using OpenDCC this way is really a very nice approach for controlling a segmented/module based layout!

I have obtained some OpenDCC DiBiB assembly sets from Fichtelbahn.de and am now in the progress

of assembling them (and editing/improving the available manuals/documentation on that topic). When

done with that, I will start testing them to assess their usability for my project.

I chose OpenDCC DiBiB because it provides me with RailCom functionality and allows to identify the

decoders' whereabouts on extensive layouts (I am planning a 2 level layout along the walls of a 11.5 x 1.9 m

corridor).

It might still take some time, but I'll definitively contact you in order to exchange experiences

with the OpenDCC equipment and running the LEGO trains. I'll enjoy communication in German using

private messages, but I thought It would be nice to draw the attention of some more Train Tech members.

Perhaps there are some more fans of open projects hiding here... :wink:

Best regards

Christian

Hello Cristian

I use a 12V Power Supply, so i have on the Track 10. max 11V.

I made long tests with the Lego Motors, and i have no Problems with this Voltage.

If you have questions, you can ask me, i also speak german so you can send me a Message :)

I have actually finish my DCC Project, i have build a System that is flexible like Lego :)

I have made three electronic Modules

Bottom is the central unit of openDCC

Middle a booster for powering up the DCC to 3Amps

Upside are the track connections, i made 16x seperate Plugs, when it is connectet to the computer, i can see on which track is a train.

Regards Patrik