Jump to content


MOC: Renfe 251 Class


8 replies to this topic

#1 Aitoruco

Aitoruco

    Posts: 22
    Joined: 11-August 11
    Member: 19667

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

RENFE 251 series is a series of Japanese-made electric locomotives for RENFE planned in the early 1970s, was known in his time as "high-powered locomotive" or affectionately "or Japanese locomotive and a half and half" because its size. In his time the locomotives were larger and more powerful in Europe. Strangely Spain was the first European nation to import Japanese railway equipment.
Posted Image
By aitoruco at 2012-06-04

Posted Image
By aitoruco at 2012-06-04

Posted Image
By aitoruco at 2012-06-04

Posted Image
By aitoruco at 2012-06-04

Posted Image
By aitoruco at 2012-06-04

#2 harnbak

harnbak

    Posts: 222
    Joined: 22-March 11
    Member: 16770
    Country: DK

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for posting this nice MOC. I really admire all MOCers doing this:
picking a subject, finding pictures, thinking colour scheme and so forth.
I like your colour scheme. Is it correct the train is 7 studs wide?
I do not want to sound negative, but I think the proportions around the middle
are a bit strange. I found this picture:
Posted Image.
It looks like all 7 middle windows are equally wide, but not on your model.
You probably want to compensate for the width of the motor block which is too wide, but
maybe it is better not to? If you have modelled in LDD, try to make all 7 middle
windows the same and check the overall look...

Edited by harnbak, 06 July 2012 - 10:35 AM.


#3 Aitoruco

Aitoruco

    Posts: 22
    Joined: 11-August 11
    Member: 19667

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

Thank you for the reply. The only problem with the size are the wheels, they´re too small for the engine anda TLG haven´t any wheel for this size (except steam engine wheels). and yes, is a 7 wide locomotive

#4 roamingstop

roamingstop

  • Blue train track Guinness World Record pusher extraordinaire


    Posts: 1138
    Joined: 21-January 10
    Member: 9215
    Country: Switzerland

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostAitoruco, on 06 July 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

Thank you for the reply. The only problem with the size are the wheels, they´re too small for the engine anda TLG haven´t any wheel for this size (except steam engine wheels). and yes, is a 7 wide locomotive
To be honest I find it a bit too long... for the proportions. Instead, I would build the grill bricks using SNOT: 90 degrees to vertical, placed on top of a single tile. If you add two sets of grill bricks together you can reduce the overall width and it will look more realistic. Have a look at the nose of the BR1020 below.
Posted Image
BR1020 PF: MOD of 4551 Side view by roamingstudio, on Flickr

#5 LEGO Train 12 Volts

LEGO Train 12 Volts

    Posts: 3953
    Joined: 31-October 09
    Member: 8037
    Country: Italy

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:12 AM

I like the nose of this MOC!  :blush:
It seems to be hard to build!  :thumbup:
Posted Image   Posted Image

#6 Hrw-Amen

Hrw-Amen

    Posts: 1681
    Joined: 05-April 11
    Member: 17080

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

I find the nose quite well done given the attempted shape and the train overall looks good. I may have gone with the rills sideways though as suggested, but generally it looks similar to the real one so good job.

I have been looking at this though and images of the real train and have to ask as I just cannot work it out. With three sets of wheels like that how does it handle corners? Not just your version, but as I said the real one as well, it does not look articulated and seems very long?

#7 Steinkopf

Steinkopf

    Posts: 199
    Joined: 27-January 12
    Member: 25035
    Country: Australia

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

View PostHrw-Amen, on 24 July 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

I have been looking at this though and images of the real train and have to ask as I just cannot work it out. With three sets of wheels like that how does it handle corners? Not just your version, but as I said the real one as well, it does not look articulated and seems very long?

Hello Hrw-Amen
The central bogie sets are able move sideways so the locomotive is able to negotiate curves, this wheel arrangement is used in a large number of Japanese electric freight locomotive designs that have been built for the JR network as well as for the export market, the Swiss have also used this wheel arrangement in the Re 6/6 Class built for the SBB.

#8 Hrw-Amen

Hrw-Amen

    Posts: 1681
    Joined: 05-April 11
    Member: 17080

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

View PostSteinkopf, on 24 July 2012 - 11:35 PM, said:

Hello Hrw-Amen
The central bogie sets are able move sideways so the locomotive is able to negotiate curves, this wheel arrangement is used in a large number of Japanese electric freight locomotive designs that have been built for the JR network as well as for the export market, the Swiss have also used this wheel arrangement in the Re 6/6 Class built for the SBB.

Thanks. I do not think I have come across that wheel arrangement before, not in the UK anyway. I should have thought of it though as it is exactly what I am playing with right now for a three axle tender that would not fit the LEGO curves. I guess I just considered that something we did to get by in a model with tight rails to negotiate rather than a real world solution. You learn something every day.

#9 Legotom

Legotom

    Posts: 31
    Joined: 11-June 12
    Member: 29115
    Country: Scotland

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

View PostHrw-Amen, on 25 July 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

Thanks. I do not think I have come across that wheel arrangement before, not in the UK anyway. I should have thought of it though as it is exactly what I am playing with right now for a three axle tender that would not fit the LEGO curves. I guess I just considered that something we did to get by in a model with tight rails to negotiate rather than a real world solution. You learn something every day.

We have one loco with that wheel arrangement (technically called bo-bo-bo) in the UK. They are the engines that haul lorry and car trains through the channel tunnel. They can only run in the channel tunnel terminal though, so are only just in the UK. And a bit in France too.



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users