Martin Hronský today released LDD2PovRay; a tool that for the first time allows LDD users to create photo-realistic renderings directly from a LDD model.

The list of features is pretty impressive. Here's a quote from the homepage, http://ldd2povray.lddtools.com/

• enables photo-realistic rendering of any LDD model using POV-Ray™ for Windows
  • supports geometries of all LDD bricks - new bricks are supported automatically
  • several key POV-Ray™ parameters such as scene setup, lights, focal blur and radiosity can be set directly from LDD to POV-Ray GUI
  • choice four different levels of the details
  • option to apply bevels and LEGO® logo on studs for increased photorealism
  • option to use edge outlining for creating building instruction style images
  • slight random brick color variances to simulate differences in brick colors of bricks produced in different batches
  • slight random brick position variances to similate building imperfections of a real model
  • randomized rotation of relevant bricks (e.g. 1x1 round plate) to simulate variation in rotation as it would appear building real models
  • optimized and fine-tuned color palette for very realistic output
  • highly customizable: brick surfaces, color palettes, materials, lights, color variance, brick position variance and more

And here are some test renderings (click on image for high res version):

creator-05761-425.604-minidigger-01_2.png

5766_log_cabin_v1_8.png

First download. Excited to see how this works, those renders look amazing. :sweet:

7511065626_ca03eea94c_z_d.jpg

I'm amazed. :cry_happy:

Edited by CallMePie

Thanks, this is what we are looking for! *oh2*

My 10226_sopwith_camel is the first pic in the Gallery. :sweet:

So from now on, should we have option to use POV pic for LXF post if all parts are converted correctly?

7713941510_ae91e773b8.jpg

This ship took 5 hours to render at 3200x2400 noAA, 2048x1745 on Flickr. (CPU AMD Phenom 9600)

7713992180_d2b99ff33a_m.jpg

Lego pirate find 11 spots game by nachapon _ by Nachapon S., on Flickr

7774622708_c2bd55aa5a_n.jpg

Lego Counter-Strike de_dust by Nachapon S., on Flickr

Edited by bbqqq

Very nice!! i tried export from LDD to LDraw but elements that were stored at odd angle and few barely legal connections were messed up. Will give this one a try to see if it works better than exporting to LDraw or not.

EDIT: doesn't like my project :/ I'm getting error message in POVRay: Parse Error: Cannot open include file ldd_defaultcolors.inc

I am using 64 bits LDD2POV converter and 64 bits POVRay and both running on Windows 7 64 bits

Maybe a path was set wrong somewhere?

Edited by Lego Otaku

Parse Error: Cannot open include file ldd_defaultcolors.inc

This error means that you forgot to modify POV-Ray's library path. You should modify your POVRAY.ini and add following line:

Library_Path=\\.\LDDIncludes

Easiest way to open POVRAY.ini is to use Tools menu directly in POV-Ray.

So from now on, should we have option to use POV pic for LXF post if all parts are converted correctly?

Good question.

One reasons to only allow "boring" LDD screenshots would be concistency - all screenshots look the same. Also, LDD2PovRay does not support flex elements at the moment.

But let me talk to Calabar and see what he thinks. :classic:

Wow! These renders really are quite excellent. Almost as good as the LGEO parts. It kind of defeats the purpose of using LDraw as opposed to LDD. :sceptic: Although I still prefer working with SR 3D Builder than LDD and I think there are more parts available in LDraw than in LDD...correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't used LDD in a while.

Great news, I added this new utility to the section index.

About the next feature to implement, I voted "flexible parts" because it is something that LDD supports and this software should support too in order to convert LDD models without loss of informations.

My second choice is "custom decorations", because that will allow to overcome one of the greatest LDD limitations.

Unfortunately this software is for windows users only (and LDD users are not only widows users) and requires NET framework.

Wow! These renders really are quite excellent. Almost as good as the LGEO parts. It kind of defeats the purpose of using LDraw as opposed to LDD. :sceptic: Although I still prefer working with SR 3D Builder than LDD and I think there are more parts available in LDraw than in LDD...correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't used LDD in a while.

Generally there are more parts in Ldraw, specially older ones. On the other hand LDD tends to have more of the absolute latest ones.

I guess it also depends on what parts you use. If you look at the most common parts used in sets, lets say for the past 10 years, I'd say the two platforms are pretty much even and very complete.

Anyway, some rough estimate part counts (excluding decorations):

LDD: approx 2500

Ldraw: approx 3500

PS: Ldraw has more decorations if that is important (and the ability to add custom decorations).

Could someone help me please?

I installed LDD2PovRay and PovRay and after set the "Output path for includes " in LDD2PovRay it shows me "Unable to add mounting point. Incorrect parameter.". I tried run it as administrator and it shows me the same error. After converting model, it create all the files needed for it but PovRay can't find them. Even I add Library_Path="(path to the files)" into PowRay.ini and nothing.

I'm using Win 7 64bit. What am I doing wrong?

Could someone help me please?

I installed LDD2PovRay and PovRay and after set the "Output path for includes " in LDD2PovRay it shows me "Unable to add mounting point. Incorrect parameter.". I tried run it as administrator and it shows me the same error. After converting model, it create all the files needed for it but PovRay can't find them. Even I add Library_Path="(path to the files)" into PowRay.ini and nothing.

I'm using Win 7 64bit. What am I doing wrong?

Library path has to be \\.\LDDIncludes and not the real physical path.

Problem with the mounting point means that LDD2POVRay is not able to create virtual drive. Did you restarted the machine after the installation? Did you have any other problems during the installation?

Library path has to be \\.\LDDIncludes and not the real physical path.

Problem with the mounting point means that LDD2POVRay is not able to create virtual drive. Did you restarted the machine after the installation? Did you have any other problems during the installation?

Yes. After prompt for driver (that I allowed), installation froze and seconds later showed me error "...timeout. Please restart computer and try it again...". After closing installation and trying restart PC, it just froze > hard restart. After boot up, installation was successful but didn't asked for driver.

{snip}

10226_sopwith_camel by Nachapon by Nachapon S., on Flickr

Not really on topic, but I love how you made the "bullseye" patterns on the wings. I had scoffed when other AFOLs lamented the fact that 10226 used stickers instead of brick built patterns, since I couldn't figure how brick-built patterns like that would be feasible. But now I'm not so sure.

On-topic, this looks like it will be a valuable tool for the LDD builder, and I may use this if I create an LDD model intended to be presented to the general public, like for a Cuusoo proposal.

This error means that you forgot to modify POV-Ray's library path. You should modify your POVRAY.ini and add following line:

Library_Path=\\.\LDDIncludes

Easiest way to open POVRAY.ini is to use Tools menu directly in POV-Ray.

It's there. maybe I messed up the output path in LDD to Pov? What should the default output path look like?

Wow, they really do look spectacular! Too bad there isn't a Mac equivalent. :sceptic:

EDIT: This plus my burning desire to play StarCraft again leads me to the conclusion that I should set up a new WindowsXP virtual machine. I'll post back on my experience working with these tools in such a fashion.

Edited by vynsane

http://ldd2povray.lddtools.com/

"Brick geometry data are the property of the LEGO Group of companies and are subject to copyright. POV-Ray™ include files contain enhanced versions of brick geometries used by LDD. Since include files are plain text files LDD to POV-Ray™ Converter uses Callback File System, virtual file system SDK for Windows provided by the EldoS Corporation to enable POV-Ray™ access binary includes without disclosing the brick geometry content."

Unfortunately, the requirement to use the Callback File System renders this tool fairly useless among most people I think. Is there a legal workaround for this requirement? I'm not willing to pay for a license for this.

I'm getting this message upon trying to render in Pov-Ray. I've done it twice now to no avail. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I think I may have entered the wrong file when I first started, but I'm not sure. Could that be why I'm receiving this?

ErrorMessage1.PNG

I get that error whenever trying to convert models using the old/retired colors, on the bottom of the color palette.

I get that error whenever trying to convert models using the old/retired colors, on the bottom of the color palette.

That can't be my problem, I was testing a model containing only two colors, Black (26) and Dark Stone Grey (199) which are both in the default palette.

http://ldd2povray.lddtools.com/

"Brick geometry data are the property of the LEGO Group of companies and are subject to copyright. POV-Ray™ include files contain enhanced versions of brick geometries used by LDD. Since include files are plain text files LDD to POV-Ray™ Converter uses Callback File System, virtual file system SDK for Windows provided by the EldoS Corporation to enable POV-Ray™ access binary includes without disclosing the brick geometry content."

Unfortunately, the requirement to use the Callback File System renders this tool fairly useless among most people I think. Is there a legal workaround for this requirement? I'm not willing to pay for a license for this.

You do not have to pay for the Callback File System. Callback File System licence costs 4500 USD and EldoS was so kind and provided us a licence for free with only one single condition: we have to mention that we are using their driver. And we were happy to mention that, since it was really very nice from them.

I'm getting this message upon trying to render in Pov-Ray. I've done it twice now to no avail. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I think I may have entered the wrong file when I first started, but I'm not sure. Could that be why I'm receiving this?

ErrorMessage1.PNG

I think, this is related to POV-Ray's feature which helps to protect files, which may come from directories, which you did not intended to be used by POV-Ray.

Go to Options menu in POV-Ray and see Script I/O Restrictions. Allow Read, restrict Write or No Restrictions should be sufficient.

That can't be my problem, I was testing a model containing only two colors, Black (26) and Dark Stone Grey (199) which are both in the default palette.

Did you put Library_Path="\\.\LDDIncludes" at the end of the povray.ini?

It looks like this dependency is included in the installer and shouldn't be a roadblock in installing/utilizing this program:

4. When prompted for permission for Callback File System, virtual file system SDK for Windows driver installation, confirm the permissions.

http://ldd2povray.lddtools.com/index.php?p=2_22_2_22_Installation-instructions

EDIT: D'oh! Just saw hrontos' official explanation. Good to get official word, and it is extremely surprising and nice that EldoS provided the license for free!

Edited by vynsane

This plus my burning desire to play StarCraft again leads me to the conclusion that I should set up a new WindowsXP virtual machine. I'll post back on my experience working with these tools in such a fashion.

I am using Win 7 64bit, and tried 32bit version of LDD2POVray on WinXP installed on VMware virtual machine and it had no problem with that, so it should work also for you.

So for whatever reason, the CBFS didn't install on my machine.

Edited by Smartiac