Astromech Workplace Contest: Space Station maintenance

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sebeus I

Sebeus I

• Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!

Member: 3891

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

Prototype is demolished, this is the Final version.
This set depicts part of a spacestation, spacestation need to be controlled and R2-units are perfect for the job, by special passages they have access to most sections of the station. They are monitoring , in other words, riding around and interacting with their scomplinks wherever they can.

Posted Image

Posted Image
(Yes, that's a passage shaped as an R2 unit  :wink:   I think I saw that in Episode 1)

Posted Image

Posted Image
This is the only astro-droid I have, it's probably the most boring one you can have  :laugh:

Posted Image
You see those 4 black plates sticking out of the roof ? they are for opening and closing the slide gates which give access to exterior/interior of the station.
R2-units sometimes have duties on the exterior of the station.

Posted Image
The passage to the left goes to an R2 elevator, the best way to show you how that works would be a video so I'll make one later.
The gate to the right is part of an airlock which goes to the exterior of the station.

Posted Image
Posted Image
The dark red track goes from the R2 resting pods through the airlock to the exterior maintenance outskirts.

I was mostly inspired by Episode 1 where the Naboo ship was under attack, I've seen the movie a long time ago and from what I can remember of it there's probably a lot of it that I made up myself without realizing (I do that sometimes  :wacko:  ).
The movie Wall-E was also a great source of inspiration, I almost cried watching that movie  :laugh:

Anyway, I'd love some more astromech droids to go with this set  :grin:

Edited by Sebeus I, 16 July 2012 - 02:19 PM.

#2 wokajablocka

wokajablocka

Member: 12884

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

It looks really great so far. The last pic looks similar to my original idea inside the naboo starship. Those astro docking bays are reminiscent of that scene. :thumbup:
Brickshelf

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

May the Brick be with you!

#3 Admiral-Ackbar

Admiral-Ackbar

Member: 24956

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

I have to say, this MOC looks absolutely fantastic! I really hope that there will be more of this soon! Posted ImagePosted Image

I am not worthy to compete! Posted Image
Lego:
Current favourite Minifigure: Imperial Officer (75055)
Current favourite set: Republic Gunship (75021)

Movies:
Currently playing the role of Lee, Security Guard, in Not Just a Murder Mystery
Award Winning Performances: Zachary Greenwood in Time Is Money, Earl in It Always Rains, But Sometimes its Sunny; Adam DeBlanc in Bullied 2; Mark Cowan in Key in the Door

#4 Oky

Oky

• I am O-ky, English-German relations

Member: 2028

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

Wow, I love it already! Being a huge WALL-E fan, the resemblance was instantly recognizable to me! With the droid-shaped hole, the antenna, and the "rail" markings on the floor, it's highly reminiscent of the short film BURN-E. :thumbup:
Brilliant parallel! I look forward to seeing this completed! :sweet:

#5 Sebeus I

Sebeus I

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

View PostOky, on 02 July 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

Wow, I love it already! Being a huge WALL-E fan, the resemblance was instantly recognizable to me! With the droid-shaped hole, the antenna, and the "rail" markings on the floor, it's highly reminiscent of the short film BURN-E. :thumbup:
Brilliant parallel! I look forward to seeing this completed! :sweet:
Yes, burn-E, that's what I saw, thanks for looking that up, it was nice to see it again  :classic:
I already started on a better model, in a few days there will be pictures.

#6 Oky

Oky

• I am O-ky, English-German relations

Member: 2028

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

You're welcome! I'm always happy to watch it again myself. :grin: For having built this from memory, you did a great job representing the scene! But perhaps you might want to replace the antenna with a flick-fire missile with a blue light bulb to represent the beacon from the short film better. :wink:
Looking forward to the pictures!

#7 Sebeus I

Sebeus I

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

Updated, I worked on a grey 48x48 baseplate, weather is terrible so i'll take new pictures later  :sceptic:

#8 Sebeus I

Sebeus I

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

Update: video with some of the features  :wink:
Video

I provided some kind of elevator that allows an R2-unit to jump up to... something  :laugh:

Edited by Sebeus I, 16 July 2012 - 02:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users