Jump to content


Review: 3828 Avatar - Air Temple (Plus Mods)


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • Reay for 2017!


    Posts: 33186
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:57 AM

Hello everyone!

I was doing a review of Avatar set 3828: Air Temple and I got annoyed with it. Most likely because I thought it was going to be a cool set and I was disappointed for several reasons. So, I did some mods in addition to the review.

Here is a sampling of the review (with our favorite Fabuland characters, of course) and the mods:

Posted Image

Posted Image

BrickZone.net

3828 Air Temple review

Posted Image

Basically, I think this show has the potential for great LEGO sets and this particular set fell short. Enjoy the review and let me know what you think of the mods! Thanks!

#2 Asuka

Asuka

  • Pictural Poet


    Posts: 6658
    Joined: 19-June 06
    Member: 816
    Country: Schnitzelland

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:05 PM

Your MOC is marvelous and perfect.  *wub*

#3 Cabby

Cabby

    Posts: 142
    Joined: 25-September 06
    Member: 985
    Country: France

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:32 PM

Nice review and superb MOC !  8-°

#4 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • Reay for 2017!


    Posts: 33186
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for the nice compliments! I appreciate it.

#5 Athos

Athos

  • Sloppiness Seeker


    Posts: 3856
    Joined: 31-October 04
    Member: 84
    Country: USA

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:38 PM

Much better format. It makes it so much easier to read. Thanks for doing that.

Steve, who would buy (at least) one copy of the temple, if it looked anything like yours did...

#6 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • Reay for 2017!


    Posts: 33186
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:18 AM

View PostAthos, on Dec 5 2006, 06:38 PM, said:

Much better format. It makes it so much easier to read. Thanks for doing that.

Steve, who would buy (at least) one copy of the temple, if it looked anything like yours did...

Thanks for noticing Steve and you're welcome. I like to take people's suggestions and incorporate them when I can. I like the story moving sequentially better. I also embedded the rating .jpg into an html page so that Internet Explorer wouldn't squash it and make it difficult to read.

I'm glad you appreciated it and thanks for the compliments!

#7 KMOI

KMOI

  • EB's resident Avatar fan


    Posts: 467
    Joined: 24-March 05
    Member: 277
    Country: Lalaland

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:47 PM

o_o




:'-)

My word! That is truly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen! Your MOC brings tears to every Avatar fan (But mostly this one)! Your attention to detail is absolutely mondboggling! The trees, Monk Gyatso (Aang's dead mentor), the scores of dead Fire nation soldiers and firebenders are incredible! I also love the details on the building. There's no praise that I can share that will do it justice! You should get hired for the LEGO Avatar team, because this is better than anything we've been offered this year! I'd buy it in a second!

Really funny review, by the way! That comic with the misunderstood Firebender was jokes.  :-D

#8 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • Reay for 2017!


    Posts: 33186
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:41 AM

View PostKMOI, on Dec 9 2006, 07:47 PM, said:

My word! That is truly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen! Your MOC brings tears to every Avatar fan (But mostly this one)! Your attention to detail is absolutely mondboggling! The trees, Monk Gyatso (Aang's dead mentor), the scores of dead Fire nation soldiers and firebenders are incredible! I also love the details on the building. There's no praise that I can share that will do it justice!

Wow! I mean WOW!!! Thanks for the awesome compliments, I wish you could see the smile on my face. It's bigger than this one:  X-D  Thanks for making me really happy!

View PostKMOI, on Dec 9 2006, 07:47 PM, said:

You should get hired for the LEGO Avatar team, because this is better than anything we've been offered this year! I'd buy it in a second!

Amen! I agree. LEGO should hire me. That would be a dream come true. THanks again! & Thanks for the resources on finding avatar pics. I hope to do some more based on the excellent art of avatar when I find time...

Thanks thanks thanks

#9 Kahgarak

Kahgarak

    Posts: 1359
    Joined: 23-October 05
    Member: 514
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:01 AM

This modded temple rocks!

#10 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • Reay for 2017!


    Posts: 33186
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:33 AM

View PostKahgarak, on Dec 11 2006, 07:01 AM, said:

This modded temple rocks!

Thanks, K! I appreciate it.

#11 alex54

alex54

  • CC reducer, city expander


    Posts: 1437
    Joined: 01-December 05
    Member: 560
    Country: France

Posted 12 December 2006 - 12:51 PM

Nice review hinckley39 (like the other!).
Just a qestion, whyyou call the firebender "maître du feu", in French? That make me smile to read french in english in your story :-P
Your air temple moc is nice, it has more the show spirit... But tioo expensif for TLC I think.

Posted Image                        Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image


#12 EXO-CHAMP

EXO-CHAMP

  • Pink Puny Crapy Rebel Scum !!


    Posts: 684
    Joined: 20-June 06
    Member: 820
    Country: Denmark

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:26 PM

Truely awesome review.

The level of detail is amazing and the story is quite funny too.

Very well done.

Will that monkey never learn?  :-P

#13 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • Reay for 2017!


    Posts: 33186
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:09 AM

View Postalex54, on Dec 12 2006, 12:51 PM, said:

Just a qestion, whyyou call the firebender "maître du feu", in French? That make me smile to read french in english in your story :-P

They have all the names in English and French on the side of the box and I thought it was an interesting character choice for the firebender to refer to himself by his french name...Glad you liked that, thanks for noticing.

View Postalex54, on Dec 12 2006, 12:51 PM, said:

Your air temple moc is nice, it has more the show spirit... But tioo expensif for TLC I think.

I have to respectfully disagree with you there. The new air temple is a little smaller than the Adventurer's Orient Expedition Temple from a few year's back and that was a big seller. I think the whole Avatar line would benefit from a wider range of price points, more smaller sets and nicer big sets. After all, what's the point of releasing a temple, if it doesn't look like a temple? A temple is such a cool idea for a LEGO set and I'm afraid IMO they fell short with this set.

Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it!


View PostEXO-CHAMP, on Dec 12 2006, 02:26 PM, said:

Truely awesome review.

The level of detail is amazing and the story is quite funny too.

Very well done.

Will that monkey never learn?  :-P

Thanks! Gavin told me to tell you that he's a gorilla!  ;-)

#14 oo7

oo7

  • Master Carpenter


    Posts: 2892
    Joined: 27-May 06
    Member: 788
    Country: The US of A

Posted 15 December 2006 - 05:16 AM

Lovely MOC, I would buy that in a heartbeat and it's perfect to 'convert' into any castle MOC. I also like how you paid such close attention to detail from the show even though you are not a fan.  *y*  *y*
And the comics are cute as always.

The asymmetry of those trees really bothers me ( X-D ), being an abstract-loathing artist very attentive to detail I dislike asymmetrical architecture in general and absolutely despise it when a whole building has perfect symmetrical balance except for the finest detail. I don't really like the fact but the truth is it really bugs me. But here I still appreciate it because it is accurate towards the show.

I was just looking through your castle MOCs for the first time, you really have some skill! (and an abundant surplus of pieces!)
Posted Image

#15 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • Reay for 2017!


    Posts: 33186
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:23 PM

View Postoo7, on Dec 15 2006, 05:16 AM, said:

Lovely MOC, I would buy that in a heartbeat and it's perfect to 'convert' into any castle MOC. I also like how you paid such close attention to detail from the show even though you are not a fan.  *y*  *y*
And the comics are cute as always.

Thank you! I think it would have been smart for TLG to think about castle fans when putting their version of the Air Temple together. I think it would've been a better seller and appealed to a broader market, more than just Avatar fans. Although, I have noticed that both Avatar sets appear in the TRU website favorites category. Hopefully, this line will continue with better sets in '07.

View Postoo7, on Dec 15 2006, 05:16 AM, said:

The asymmetry of those trees really bothers me ( X-D ), being an abstract-loathing artist very attentive to detail I dislike asymmetrical architecture in general and absolutely despise it when a whole building has perfect symmetrical balance except for the finest detail. I don't really like the fact but the truth is it really bugs me. But here I still appreciate it because it is accurate towards the show.

Hilarious! I was starting to notice that I was married to symmetry and I've been trying to make my MOCs more asymmetrical! However, with the Air Temple I did want to make the building symmetrical and the trees asymmetrical to, like you said, match the artwork of the show.


View Postoo7, on Dec 15 2006, 05:16 AM, said:

I was just looking through your castle MOCs for the first time, you really have some skill! (and an abundant surplus of pieces!)

You are so nice! Thank you so much for all of the awesome compliments.  X-D  ...and yes I am officially addicted to stockpiling LEGO pieces...

#16 oo7

oo7

  • Master Carpenter


    Posts: 2892
    Joined: 27-May 06
    Member: 788
    Country: The US of A

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:01 AM

View Posthinckley39, on Dec 18 2006, 03:23 PM, said:

Thank you! I think it would have and appealed to a broader market, more than just Avatar fans. Although, I have noticed that both Avatar sets apbeen smart for TLG to think about castle fans when putting their version of the Air Temple together. I think it would've been a better seller pear in the TRU website favorites category. Hopefully, this line will continue with better sets in '07.
Indeed.

View Posthinckley39, on Dec 18 2006, 03:23 PM, said:

Hilarious! I was starting to notice that I was married to symmetry and I've been trying to make my MOCs more asymmetrical! However, with the Air Temple I did want to make the building symmetrical and the trees asymmetrical to, like you said, match the artwork of the show.
Yes, It's perfect the way you have it now.

View Posthinckley39, on Dec 18 2006, 03:23 PM, said:

You are so nice! Thank you so much for all of the awesome compliments.  X-D  ...and yes I am officially addicted to stockpiling LEGO pieces...

Hey, it's the truth! I think you should post some of these 'stand-alone' buildings in the H&A forum now so one can concentrate on the moc and not the soon to be comic strip. If you might want to know, I like the white castle the best, it also reminds me of Minas Tirith, especially with the tree and all.
Posted Image

#17 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • Reay for 2017!


    Posts: 33186
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:01 PM

View Postoo7, on Dec 22 2006, 05:01 AM, said:

Indeed.
Yes, It's perfect the way you have it now.
Hey, it's the truth! I think you should post some of these 'stand-alone' buildings in the H&A forum now so one can concentrate on the moc and not the soon to be comic strip. If you might want to know, I like the white castle the best, it also reminds me of Minas Tirith, especially with the tree and all.

Thanks! I have some free time coming up and plan to post more 'Vernos' Mocs. I will go to H & A when I do. Thanks for the advice and compliments.

What is Minas Tirith?

#18 oo7

oo7

  • Master Carpenter


    Posts: 2892
    Joined: 27-May 06
    Member: 788
    Country: The US of A

Posted 01 January 2007 - 05:26 AM

Why Minas Tirith is the beautiful white castle at the foot of the Ered Nimrais range and capital of the mighty nation of Gondor.

Google is beautiful thing, you know. ;-)
Posted Image

#19 gylman

gylman

  • Excellent......


    Posts: 1778
    Joined: 25-February 05
    Member: 252

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:53 PM

I finally had the time for working my way through your work and this thread.

The Air Temple as supplied by TLC was a huge disappiontment I have to agree. Even my own two kids who are rabid Airbender fans didn't know what to make of that loose collection of big bits, figs, and miscellaneous parts.

It was opened, semi built once, and has entered the parts bin very quickly, never to re-emerge as an air temple again.l

If the air temple set was anything like what you have done, I think they would have sold more, and had people more interested in the line in general. As it is now, I think this line is dead, which is a shame.

Great work.
Happy new year.

#20 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • Reay for 2017!


    Posts: 33186
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:09 PM

View Postoo7, on Jan 1 2007, 05:26 AM, said:

Google is beautiful thing, you know. ;-)

I have to wink a lot too.  :-D

View Postgylman, on Jan 1 2007, 04:53 PM, said:

Great work.
Happy new year.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it. Like you said, I think all the weird extra contraptions were the most confounding parts of this set. I hope the line is not dead and they come out with better stuff in the second wave. Thanks again for the compliments!

#21 Sir Dillon

Sir Dillon

  • Longs for the days of Wooden Ducks


    Posts: 4332
    Joined: 15-July 05
    Member: 435

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:29 AM

I don't follow Avatar, but I really like your creation! It shows how much better TLC could've done... *sad*
Great work! *y*
"I'm sorry, I don't have the time to build anything that doesn't directly promote me."

#22 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • Reay for 2017!


    Posts: 33186
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:01 AM

View PostSir Dillon, on Jan 3 2007, 03:29 AM, said:

I don't follow Avatar, but I really like your creation! It shows how much better TLC could've done... *sad*
Great work! *y*

I agree. LEGO should totally hire me. (notice absence of wink...)

Thanks!

#23 eti

eti

    Posts: 277
    Joined: 04-April 08
    Member: 2975

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:45 AM

Your Fabuland review is the funniest thing I've read in ages!

I like your MOC too, it works feasible as a set design. It's much better than the official set, which I got yesterday and built today - I agree with everything your say, basically.

But you did pick the wrong episode... you based your MOC on the Southern Air Temple (ep. 3) and the set was based on the Northern air temple (ep. 17)... but the Northern air temple also sits high on a rock and it has lots and lots of little towers - it's just a tiny part they used for this set, and they combined things that don't go together (those doors must be inside!)




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users