BrickPerfection

More ships for the fleet!

[pid][/pid] 135C - 136D

Dear all,

I'm very exited about and that I like to refer to as NextGen. Among other things this means that I'm only using the lower parts of the new prefabs (all of which are black, thanks to PotC) combined with a brickbuild bow and stern.

All ships are built inspired by plans and models; and are supposed to resemble French ships from roughly 1760-1780. Of course, concessions were made for minifigure illusion scale and playability, yet the colours, sail plan & size, and the gun count are historically accurate.

8 ships in total; 6 built in parallel with the new technique, and 2 were updated:

Magicienne, a 38gun frigate built on 7 midsections

more pictures on flickr (full resolution)

magicienne_-_1.jpg

Concorde, a 32gun frigate (6mids)

concorde_-_1.jpg

Médée, a 18gun brig-of-war (4mids)

medee_-_1.jpg

Furieuse, a bomb ketch (4mids)

furieuse_-_1.jpg

Aigle, a 10gun Bermuda sloop (2mids)

aigle_-_1.jpg

Sirène, another 10gun Bermuda sloop

sirene_-_1.jpg

In addition, I have rebuilt the two original frigates of my fleet:

Achille, a 28gun frigate (6mids)

achille_-_1.jpg

Guerrière, a 24gun frigate (5mids)

guerriere_-_1.jpg

Edited by Imperial Shipyards

Holy Cow! The other day you had mentioned that you had a fleet of ships, but I didn't think that it would be this amazing! The bomb ketch is a nice touch, since you don't see a lot of those as models. Do they all sail under the same Admiral? And if so, will the Superbe be your flagship?

Wow! You've been busy! I've gotta say, those black hulls look great. I think you've just convinced me to go buy some more. I think the Sirène is my personal favorite, but they all look great.

I'd love to see your technique for creating the bow and stern. That might be something I'd be interested in using myself. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by RocketSeason

The only thing I can think now is wow! All of them are straight up fantastic!

What a fleet :pir-oh:

It's incredible you have so many big ships at the same time, I like all of them, especially the bigger ones, I must say, the Concorde looks a lot like the Magicienne.

I can't wait to get back to ship-building myself :monkey:

I have to say, I thought Achille would always be in my top 3 favourite pre-fab ships! Not anymore, for me the Magnicienne looks better even without the sails pirate_blush.gif The shape is brilliant!!

And what a fleet! I have two questions though. Have you got a number of parts per ship (approx.) or at least an idea of how many bricks are there floating in that awesome fleet? A pretty high number I guess. The other question is about the rigging. Do you glue it or something? For my experience after 2/3 months in the shelf the rigging starts to get loose, especially in the shrouds, but yours always look so strong and strained.

You definitively own the most impressive fleet in the web pirate_classic.gif

Wonderful! :pir-wub:

You haven't been on this forum for quite a while, and then suddenly Bam! An entire fleet!

The wings at the headrails, the use of these hulls and all the different types of ships are great!

I especially like the bomb ketch. Very original :thumbup:

The chain from mast to bowsprit is nice and I wonder what the cannon looks like.

Can't wait to see more pictures! Now I'm going to need a lot of time for indexing purposes :pirate:

wahh?!? that is amazing, when I saw there was a post from you I leaped with joy expecting the finished Guerriere, but instead a complete fleet of equally wonderful ships, I really wish I had the parts to do this now, they all look so good! awaiting them with sails (alongside the Achille and Guerriere)

EDIT: loving the use of the black hulls, other than my close encounters MOC I believe you are the first person I have seen use them for a NON-black pearl MOC

~Legonardo~

Edited by Legonardo Davidy

Excellent ships, as always! Do you have any picks of the deck details? I would love to see some more. Anyway, great work and its good to see you back in the forums.

:jollyroger:

I like your fleet, especially the Médée & Furieuse for their colorsheme.

The designs are great! I'm personnaly would have used black gun ports instead of the red for the frigates, but that's just my opinion.

I think the tubes for the headrials are still my favorites. I use them myself but never got them to bend the way I like them to or nearly as good as yours.

Can't wait for more pictures.

And he delivers again! As usual with superb quality (no pun intended :pir-grin: )

I'd really love to see some detailed shots of those vessels, especially the bomb ketch. Your attention to detail never ceases to amaze me.

These are all pretty cool but I think I am most partial to Furieuse. That is one neat looking boat.

Good job! Thanks for sharing.

I'm pretty thoroughly jealous right now. What a wonderful fleet. I feel like these came straight out of a history book. How do you construct your ratlines? Also, Do you use just the bottom most part of of the hull section or the bottom and one riser section? Any Plans for a double decker or triple decker?

Great fleet Perfectionist! The headrails on the frigates are superb, you have certainly mastered your own technique :pir-classic: I like the brig the best, she looks lean and well armed. You will have to share your technique for the ratlines with me, that is the next challenge on my 64. Your "NextGen" technique works well too, especially with black hulls. I went the other way on Pickle using only the upper portion of the prefab hull and brick building the rest. It works for small schooners and such but not as well on larger vessels. Looking forward to more pictures, and of course sails :thumbup:

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

Have you got a number of parts per ship (approx.) or at least an idea of how many bricks are there floating in that awesome fleet? The other question is about the rigging. Do you glue it or something?pirate_classic.gif

1.)I estimate about 6000-6500 for the frigates; 1200-1500 for the Sloops and 2500-2700 for the other two ships so it will be more than 20.000 bricks for all of them

2.)Yes I glue the ratlines onto the shrouds, this isn't really new, I did the same with Achille about 2 years ago. I never had many issues with loose rigging, I just pull everything tight and it stays tight.

I wonder what the cannon looks like.

Here's my mortar:

img_2638.jpg

img_2639.jpg

img_2642.jpg

I'm personnaly would have used black gun ports instead of the red for the frigates, but that's just my opinion.

Really?

img_2626.jpg

A viable option would be dark red:

img_2627.jpg

But I still prefer red, since it works better with the blue:

img_2628.jpg

when I saw there was a post from you I leaped with joy expecting the finished Guerriere

Well, you can have a quick look at her too if you like:

img_2631.jpg

Next time I'll start posting detailed pics of one ship after another; guess I'll start with the bomb ketch. :pir-sweet:

Thanks for the shots with the different gunports. :pir-laugh: Ok - you win - classic red looks best.

Did all Frigates got interior and original lego guns? (ok the guns will be the one wich you collected for the Superb) Tiled decks as well?

If you say yes - I'll be really jealous...

The rigging… pirate_oh.gifpirate_wubnew.gif

It just occurred to me that adding blocks could be a good idea (I learned that from Nuestra Senora actually pir_laugh2.gif) to add even more detail, just like in here. I'm not very sure about what parts are typically used, but I guess any connector would do.

6536.jpg?0

img_2631.jpg

Next time I'll start posting detailed pics of one ship after another; guess I'll start with the bomb ketch. :pir-sweet:

Nawowoagr - SO MUCH AWESOME!!!

Loving the new color scheme on the Guerriere, the Achille I think I preferred in red, but it is still amazing. The sails are superb! What type of string (thickness, texture)and glue did you use, I know It's probably something that I can't get from NZ but maybe in my next trip to Germany I'll pick some up. When I get into using bricklink, I will attempt a ship with tiled decks and pipe head rails. :pir_laugh2:

looking forward to more pics!

Great mortar design! Very clever to use a barrel there. I've never seen one in that particular colour.

The yellow lanterns are nice as well. Never seen that before either.

Perhaps on a future ship you could make the shrouds of the main mast go further astern (covering the 3rd cannon).

But you probably have a reason for why you haven't done so yet :pir-classic:

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

I'm in love :pir-wub: Right after I just went through all the episodes of Hornblower, too. Those are fantastic ships. Your technique on the bow is very clever.

I love your fleet! My personal favorites are the Medee and the Sirene. I love the color schemes on both of them.

One question: What is that ship in the background of those last pictures that you posted?(It's dark red with a white hull)

Edited by Admiral Coco

Im in awe captain, those are incredile! Especially love the to sloops, they happen to be my favorite ship type.

One question: What is that ship in the background of those last pictures that you posted?(It's dark red with a white hull)

Aye, thatll be Superbe. Perfectionist's 80 gun Ship-of-the-line in minifig scale (1:52)

Currently the project is frozen, or atleast so i have understood.

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker

Your ships are amazing, but I have to say I think I enjoyed your new cannon design even more. Great work!

Nope, it's the Bermuda Sloop. :pir-tongue:

img_2653.jpg

img_2655.jpg

img_2656.jpg

img_2659.jpg

img_2674.jpg

img_2661.jpg

img_2662.jpg

img_2663.jpg

img_2668.jpg

img_2669.jpg

img_2670.jpg

img_2671.jpg

img_2673.jpg

As you can see I started making sail patterns with cardboard and now I'm also into sailmaking itself:

img_2650.jpg

The tea that I use for colouring the sailcloth is from a German discounter, 50 bags for 0,69€. :pir_laugh2:

img_2678.jpg

I'm also using the same glue for the ratlines in case anyone wanted to know. All strings are cotton.

Did all Frigates got interior and original lego guns? Tiled decks as well?

Yes.

It just occurred to me that adding blocks could be a good idea

You've got a point there, but I like to keep the rigging rather simple for a cleaner look.

Perhaps on a future ship you could make the shrouds of the main mast go further astern (covering the 3rd cannon).

But you probably have a reason for why you haven't done so yet :pir-classic:

Well I haven't added backstays yet, when I do they'll reack back 3 more studs.

Aye, thatll be Superbe. Perfectionist's 80 gun Ship-of-the-line in minifig scale (1:52)

Currently the project is frozen, or atleast so i have understood.

You are correct, but she's 1:42 now and 74 guns; 172 studs long and 44 studs wide; and yes unfortunately I encountered some frustration building the bow, so she's frozen.