inquisitor88

MOC: TIE FIGHTER

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I had an idea to make well known TIE fighter is an unusual way. Idea to make him from only technic parts, because technic - is a best way to represent anything with maximum similarity (not all, but the main features) I had some problems and as a result it consist of 99,9% technic parts. It took 4th place in the "IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY..." LEGO BUILDING CONTEST here. Enjoy :)

47749402.jpg

16792357.jpg

98340368.jpg

90370450.jpg

82656187.jpg

56516295.jpg

73168147.jpg

55280731k.jpg

26576054.jpg

Very interesting, the use of Technic works well, although I think you'll get the best result when combining Technic and System (more than 0,1%), to finish those rough edges.

Technic for the main skeleton and system for the details :thumbup:

I'm not big on technic, but is there a way to make the top of the ball more spherical?

I really like it! The cockpit is a bit too square and wide, but it's still a recognizable ship! I love the way you did the window - it's ingenious!

Thanks for the comments, i'm glad you like the TIE.

I'm not big on technic, but is there a way to make the top of the ball more spherical?

I don't know, may be using the "step" mechanics, but the sphere must be too big. Or some gears, but i had used the biggest and you see the result :)

Nice build. :thumbup: I like Technics.

You might be able to use half a Technic turntable if you need something bigger than a 40 tooth gear.

I love it. An excellent representation of the TIE....

It's refreshing to see a new take on such a classic, and frankly overdone, subject.

BRAVO!!

Very nice representation of the TIE fighter! It really makes me miss all the Technic-based Star Wars sets of 1999-2003. Those mostly tried to focus on droids, where Technic-based "action features" had the most impact and the robotic/skeletal look was simplest to achieve, but perhaps there should have been more attempts at creating starfighters! Another advantage is that licensing complications involving the Hasbro action figure license would not come up

I agree with some of the other posters that the most accuracy could be achieved with a blend of Technic and System, but it's amazing how you worked around the challenge of using Technic on its own without a lot of System-based building. It's the kind of "building with constraints" challenge I love to see in the Hero Factory theme (in that case, trying to use the ball-joint-based Hero Factory building system rather than more Technic-intensive, BIONICLE-like builds), and I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't appreciate the hard work that must have gone into this model.

Other people have already pointed out the flaws, like the somewhat boxy shape of the cockpit, so let me draw attention to the things I love most about this model. First, the windscreen is brilliant. Second, I like how you created the angled struts that connect the cockpit to the wings. And third, I really admire the wing textures.

Since Technic-based building is usually reserved for function-intensive models, I'd love to see more articulated vehicles like the X-wing starfighter with its S-foils replicated in this style.

That's awesome! Very nice interpretation. :thumbup: How long did it take to build it?

I like the pieces you used for the cockpit, though I think that's because it looks a little steampunk-ish to me. Regardless, very cool ship!

Very cool! I would definitely suggest making the top and bottom of the cockpit ball two studs thinner to make it look rounder. It's a bit too square as is, but otherwise an extremely impressive work!

Edited by WWWally

Thanks for comments, especially Aanchir for in-depth comment!

KingoftheZempk, 2 weeks waiting for details and few days for building. :classic:

Edited by inquisitor88

This is very nice. I love the shape and design of the wings. I like how you didn't use system.

That cockpit is also very nice. I hope to see more from you. :classic:

I was kinda puzzled at first, beeing not use to see lego system used, but the shape is really really nice, and the way you did with the two sides of the wings, it seems like solar panel of some sort, it's really nice.

Sound quite a challenge though to make the shape round with that.

I was kinda puzzled at first, beeing not use to see lego system used, but the shape is really really nice, and the way you did with the two sides of the wings, it seems like solar panel of some sort, it's really nice.

Sound quite a challenge though to make the shape round with that.

Actually, the "wings" of the various TIE ships indeed ARE solar panels default_blink.gif

Actually, the "wings" of the various TIE ships indeed ARE solar panels default_blink.gif

The empire is really into that "green" thing :wink:

I'm enjoying the technic approach! I'd certainly collect models like this if Lego were ever to release them with such accomplished detailing. Very much to the same dimensions as the old Kenner toy... :thumbup: