Bricklink down?

63 replies to this topic

#51 LEGO Historian

LEGO Historian

• Older than ABS

Member: 1550

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:01 AM

View PostLego Otaku, on 07 June 2012 - 08:45 PM, said:

A good practice is different password for everything and nothing obvious like '12345' or your name.  All of my password (BL, email account, paypal, ebay, etc) are different so if hacker got one of them, they only get one thing and not all of my stuff.

If you need help making a random sonding password: you could start with this site http://www.pctools.com/guides/password

I do keep all of my password on paper (index card) in a well concealed index box.  Hackers can't reach through the computer to steal my password card box, and even if someone knew my home address, I live on a 40 acres farm and that's a lot of places to hide password files.   :tongue:

Hey Wily.... (if that's you) the first Email I got today was about you... I thought uh-oh... what did my good buddy Wily do to deserve this?  Then I saw all the merges into JohnP's account and I knew something was amiss... JohnP, Ash_274 and TracyD just don't mix socially....  Posted Image

Hope it all gets sorted out....

Edited by LEGO Historian, 08 June 2012 - 12:10 AM.

LEGO "Smarty Pants Extraordinaire" for 54 years!   Can be Emailed at:  istok.gary@gmail.com

Facebook:  
https://www.facebook...ets.Parts.Guide

http://legocollectorsguide.weebly.com/

Posted Image

#52 johnnyvgoode

johnnyvgoode

Member: 19563

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:07 AM

I've been wanting to order some series 7 figs for a while, but I feel unsafe with all this breach. Has anybody got any advice as to how much I should wait?

Edited by johnnyvgoode, 08 June 2012 - 12:07 AM.

#53 Lego Otaku

Lego Otaku

Member: 13293

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

View PostLEGO Historian, on 08 June 2012 - 12:01 AM, said:

Hey Wily.... the first Email I got today was about you... I thought uh-oh... what did my good buddy Wily do to deserve this?  Then I saw all the merges into JohnP's account and I knew something was amiss... JohnP, Ash_274 and TracyD just don't mix socially....  Posted Image

Hope it all gets sorted out....

Rolling back to noon sorted out the mess as it was hard to un-merge accounts.  And BL is back up but the password function has been changed a bit, the remember feature has been disabled and you'll be auto-logged off after a period of inactivity.

View Postjohnnyvgoode, on 08 June 2012 - 12:07 AM, said:

I've been wanting to order some series 7 figs for a while, but I feel unsafe with all this breach. Has anybody got any advice as to how much I should wait?

You'll be fine.  The hacker affects the seller more by making it hard for them to do any business while the site's down.

#54 LEGO Historian

LEGO Historian

• Older than ABS

Member: 1550

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:12 AM

View Postjohnnyvgoode, on 08 June 2012 - 12:07 AM, said:

You're not giving Bricklink any more information about yourself than they already have about you.  Paypal is secure, and your payment sent from there doesn't go to Bricklink... but directly to the sellers Paypal account, and an EMAIL gets sent to the sellers Email ID.

So once BL is back up and running, I wouldn't worry about it.
LEGO "Smarty Pants Extraordinaire" for 54 years!   Can be Emailed at:  istok.gary@gmail.com

Facebook:  
https://www.facebook...ets.Parts.Guide

http://legocollectorsguide.weebly.com/

Posted Image

#55 johnnyvgoode

johnnyvgoode

Member: 19563

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:14 AM

View PostLego Otaku, on 08 June 2012 - 12:11 AM, said:

You'll be fine.  The hacker affects the seller more by making it hard for them to do any business while the site's down.

OK, thanks.  :classic:

#56 Larrynautik

Larrynautik

Member: 18122

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

View PostLEGO Historian, on 08 June 2012 - 12:12 AM, said:

You're not giving Bricklink any more information about yourself than they already have about you.  Paypal is secure, and your payment sent from there doesn't go to Bricklink... but directly to the sellers Paypal account, and an EMAIL gets sent to the sellers Email ID.

So once BL is back up and running, I wouldn't worry about it.

You're right, we must precise that the Bricklink system and the Paypal payment system are totally separated.
When you receive a Bricklink Invoice in your mail box, you use Paypal to deliver the money to the seller, and the seller receive this money on its Paypal account. Paypal is not concerned by this attack.

The only problem would happen if you get the same password on Bricklink and Paypal accounts. The hackers could have taken the Bricklink password and try it with your e-mail address on Paypal. Change Bricklink and Paypal passwords and everything will be okay.

You should also change your e-mail box password if it is the same as the Paypal or the Bricklink one. The three passwords must be different and, most of all, complicated.

But, of course, if a hacker found the way to modify the content of the Invoice and puts its Paypal address...  :sadnew: he will get your money, instead of the seller.

#57 just2good

just2good

• Bothan Spy #8

Member: 4916

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

Supposedly Bricklink was hacked again today. Does anyone have any information about it?

#58 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Member: 29489

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

Where did you hear this from? I sure hope it doesn't effect the orders I just placed! :cry_sad:
Courtesy of your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Posted Image Posted Image

flickr

#59 just2good

just2good

• Bothan Spy #8

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

View PostSpider-Man, on 10 March 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

Where did you hear this from? I sure hope it doesn't effect the orders I just placed! :cry_sad:
I heard it from the Brickset forum. I would definitely change my password if I were you... :look:

#60 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Member: 29489

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:49 PM

Just changed it! :laugh: Hopefully it isn't anything serious. Bricklink is definitely in need of a face lift and could certainly use some enhanced security...
Courtesy of your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Posted Image Posted Image

flickr

#61 Good Cragger Fan

Good Cragger Fan

Member: 41503

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:49 AM

This is one of the reasons why I do not like to order anything from Bricklink, if I do not absolutely have to do so in order to get certain LEGO parts and/or sets that I want and/or need in my collection at a affordable price. :wink:

Edited by Good Cragger Fan, 13 March 2013 - 01:58 AM.

#62 SteampunkDoc

SteampunkDoc

Member: 43072

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:36 AM

Hmm, I was straying to the cautious side and tried to change my password, but got this message:

A bunch of now irrelevant code.

So.....Help?
Seems I am one of the victims, sadly enough, but thankfully other than the password issue there doesn't seem to be any damage.
I asked this on the BL forums, but was also wondering if any of ya'll could help.

EDIT: Turns out that was done by the admin to prevent the hacker from changing everybody's passwords.
And they're working on getting everything back up, so no more worries.

And if you haven't already, I HIGHLY recommend following just2good's advice about changing your password. :wink:
Due to the above, you can't change your passwords anymore, but everything should be fixed soon.

(Thanks by the way, had you not said that, I never would have found out about this.)

Edited by SteampunkDoc, 11 March 2013 - 03:27 PM.

Posted Image  Posted Image
If you are new to Brick Flicks or Comics, and want some tips to make yours better,
take a look at some of the amazing lessons in the Brick Flicks & Comics Academy!

#63 Mr_Malfoy

Mr_Malfoy

Member: 17027

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

Is Bricklink still hacked? I was planning to order a Nick Fury minifig on there for my Avengers, but if it's hacked, I definitely don't want to...
I'm a Christian and proud of it! I'm also proud to be a Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Disney, Lord of the Rings, and LEGO fan too...

#64 just2good

just2good

• Bothan Spy #8

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

View PostMr_Malfoy, on 11 March 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

Is Bricklink still hacked? I was planning to order a Nick Fury minifig on there for my Avengers, but if it's hacked, I definitely don't want to...
As 'SteampunkDoc' said, the people at Bricklink are sorting everything out, so I would wait a day or two. :wink:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users