The Unofficial LEGO ® Technic Builder’s Guide by Sariel available f

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#76 D3K

D3K

Member: 30082

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

Got another e-mail from amazon today:

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on October 08, 2012 (Order# xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx):

Pawel Sariel Kmiec "The Unofficial LEGO Technic Builder's Guide"

Estimated arrival date: December 19, 2012

Hopefully it won't take THAT long... would be just in time for Christmas though! :classic:
Sleep, eat, build, repeat

My BrickSafe Folders              Swingloader 2 instructions            6x6 Truck Instructions

#77 mostlytechnic

mostlytechnic

• bait boy...no, wait, SCUM!!

Member: 12726

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

amazon.com dropped the pre-order button, now says you can order and it's in stock Nov 4.

Mostlytechnic's Bazaar post | Mostlytechnic's Bricklink store

Currently playing as Daniel Bartell in mediumsnowman's Shield vs Hydra Mafia

Won as scummy Wilfred Orann, Miller of Cresthaven, in Dragonfire's Kingdom Mafia

Won as loyal Ewan Breckenridge in DLL / JJP's Second Crash Mafia

Lost as the loyal vig 4 of 2, Human cyborg Technician in DLL / JJP's Blacktron Mafia

Won as Munud the Strange, loyal Alchemist in TinyPie's Ragnarok 3 Mafia (vanilla)

Lost as Irene Allen, scum Firefighter in bob's Main Street Mafia (killer)

Lost as the scummy War Machine in def's Cosplay Mafia II (killer)

Won as scum Jack Pine in Walter Kovac's Unrest in the Forest Mafia (4-shot janitor)

Scum killed and lost as town Maurice Teichman - Representative from Technic Valley in Tamamono's Party Lines Mafia (spy - watcher/tracker)

Scum-killed night one but won as town Storm in speedy's Cosplay Mafia (vanilla)

Died in the conclusion, losing because he's an idiot as townie Monty Thornton, the cook aboard the USS Portland in jamesn's Red Mafia (vig)

Survived and won as town Brice Marden in Hinck and Trumpet's Minimal Mafia (one-shot PGO)

Survived to the conclusion as a winning town musician / decorator Melanie Detruccio in TrumpetKing's CMF Mafia (vanilla)

Poisoned (and lost) as townie Molly Tennant, saloon dancer in Tamamono's Silver City Mafia (vanilla)

Won (but night-killed near the end) as the townie The Talking Animal in Zepher's Mafia Mafia (vanilla)

Survived till the end (but still lost) as townie Mary Jane the Jock in Aperture Academy (vanilla, I think)

#78 AndroTech

AndroTech

• Formerly known as Povratnik

Member: 11312

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

View PostDLuders, on 02 November 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

.... they will be donated to local libraries to help build up the number of Lego Technic fans in the USA ....

David, that is a noble thing to do. Hat off to You Sir.
Technic once, Technic forever ! ... and now trains ...
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#79 Kronos

Kronos

Member: 19817

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

View Postmostlytechnic, on 02 November 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

amazon.com dropped the pre-order button, now says you can order and it's in stock Nov 4.

Yeah, they sent me an e-mail saying I would receive mine on Nov 7.

Mike

Edited by Kronos, 02 November 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#80 Lost_In_Noise

Lost_In_Noise

Member: 25107

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

December 19 for me, but I've been wrong before...

No worries, I know I won't be disappointed :thumbup:
My relationship is... Technical.

Sets

Reviews

#81 Matt The Tuba Guy

Matt The Tuba Guy

Member: 15697

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

Ordered this on Amazon a month or so ago, got an email saying 19th too, although it will definitely be later where I live!
I decided to use Amazon rather than No Starch Press because of the price. The book was a little bit cheaper on Amazon, but shipping was a lot cheaper to New Zealand
I did get in early and got a cheaper price though. I see the kindle edition is $10, but I would rather have a physical copy even if it costs a little more.
I am looking forward to receiving it!

#82 Foggy

Foggy

Member: 28096

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

View PostDLuders, on 02 November 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

Today, I received the four additional books that I ordered from the publisher (No Starch Press).  They will be donated to local libraries to help build up the number of Lego Technic fans in the USA.  I placed the order on Monday, October 29th and got it 3 days later.  Although I live a few states away, that's pretty good service!  :thumbup: If you don't want to wait, recommend ordering directly from the publisher instead of third-party sellers like Amazon.

I think that for "us" european builders should take longer to get it and we should even pay more for shipping and then the f.*à# customs :iamded_lol: :iamded_lol: :iamded_lol: :iamded_lol: :iamded_lol: :iamded_lol:

#83 Yvan

Yvan

Member: 29784

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

Hello all,

I pre-ordered my copy from the publisher site and received it last Monday. Of course, as an extra you get a digital copy when you order from them...

Interesting reading, not for those looking for instructions to build complete MOC's, but a very good mechanical and engineering course using LEGO :classic:

Yvan.

#84 Jeroen Ottens

Jeroen Ottens

Member: 26205

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

My estimated arrival date is November 13th in Holland :classic:
Bought on Amazon with speedy delivery

#85 TinkerBrick

TinkerBrick

Member: 19741

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

Update from Erfurt, Germany: I got my copy with today's mail. I ordered mine about 3 weeks ago directly at NoStarch.
The Book looks beautiful and worthy, an excellent price for a fully colored print edition.

#86 timslegos

timslegos

Member: 19027

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

I got my copy in the mail yesterday and spent about and hour reading through the first 4 chapters.  The book is beautifully illustrated and even though I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable builder, I am still learning some things.  Great book Sariel!

tim

#87 mostlytechnic

mostlytechnic

• bait boy...no, wait, SCUM!!

Member: 12726

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

Mine arrived from Amazon yesterday. Loving it!

Mostlytechnic's Bazaar post | Mostlytechnic's Bricklink store

Currently playing as Daniel Bartell in mediumsnowman's Shield vs Hydra Mafia

Won as scummy Wilfred Orann, Miller of Cresthaven, in Dragonfire's Kingdom Mafia

Won as loyal Ewan Breckenridge in DLL / JJP's Second Crash Mafia

Lost as the loyal vig 4 of 2, Human cyborg Technician in DLL / JJP's Blacktron Mafia

Won as Munud the Strange, loyal Alchemist in TinyPie's Ragnarok 3 Mafia (vanilla)

Lost as Irene Allen, scum Firefighter in bob's Main Street Mafia (killer)

Lost as the scummy War Machine in def's Cosplay Mafia II (killer)

Won as scum Jack Pine in Walter Kovac's Unrest in the Forest Mafia (4-shot janitor)

Scum killed and lost as town Maurice Teichman - Representative from Technic Valley in Tamamono's Party Lines Mafia (spy - watcher/tracker)

Scum-killed night one but won as town Storm in speedy's Cosplay Mafia (vanilla)

Died in the conclusion, losing because he's an idiot as townie Monty Thornton, the cook aboard the USS Portland in jamesn's Red Mafia (vig)

Survived and won as town Brice Marden in Hinck and Trumpet's Minimal Mafia (one-shot PGO)

Survived to the conclusion as a winning town musician / decorator Melanie Detruccio in TrumpetKing's CMF Mafia (vanilla)

Poisoned (and lost) as townie Molly Tennant, saloon dancer in Tamamono's Silver City Mafia (vanilla)

Won (but night-killed near the end) as the townie The Talking Animal in Zepher's Mafia Mafia (vanilla)

Survived till the end (but still lost) as townie Mary Jane the Jock in Aperture Academy (vanilla, I think)

#88 skylinedan

skylinedan

Member: 27106

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Got mine yesterday also, Very well done book, Paul. I have yet to dig deeper into it , but what I,ve read so far is quit interesting. I think this is a must have for any die hard LEGO technic fan.

Dan.

#89 legolijntje

legolijntje

Member: 11214

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

So many people have it already, but mine still needs to arrive :hmpf_bad: :grin:

#90 legomuppet9

legomuppet9

• Wears Knickers

Member: 32645

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Ordered and getting it for Christmas.... :sweet:

#91 Sariel

Sariel

Member: 10516

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

Thank you all for your kind opinions. I'm relieved to hear you're not disappointed.
With great power comes great electricity bill.

My tools | Sariel.pl | Brickshelf | Flickr |  YouTube | Facebook

#92 skylinedan

skylinedan

Member: 27106

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

Disappointed, no way. You did an awesome job, your a true master. Like I said I did a quick run through last night after work, and I just need to sit down and take the time  to really read it. I saw a lot of things in it that I can put to use in future builds.

Dan

#93 Sariel

Sariel

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

View Postskylinedan, on 08 November 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

I saw a lot of things in it that I can put to use in future builds.

That was exactly my goal. My fear was mainly that people will expect this book somehow to magically explain every possible thing, to make them top-tier builders overnight. I'm glad you enjoy the book, as it took a lot of work and it was subject to many limitations, such as the volume or the tricky balance between beginner/advanced stuff.

#94 Tadej

Tadej

Member: 15133

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

Things like this never run out, there are always new techniques and ideas to put to use, so maybe you will get enough material for a second book in a few years.

#95 z3_2drive

z3_2drive

Member: 29556

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:04 AM

mine arrived yesterday, and i'll say, this is really great!! Thank you, because I finally understand complex transmissions and will build one in a model possibly...Interesting fact how red parts are slightly weaker...
~I Need Big Drink

Posted Image

My Brickshelf<would be a shame if nobody clicked on this here link

#96 Lost_In_Noise

Lost_In_Noise

Member: 25107

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

Got it on November 7 in the mail. My dad hand-delivered it to me. It's great so far, with lots of references and information.
My relationship is... Technical.

Sets

Reviews

#97 07jkearney

07jkearney

Member: 30449

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Loving the book so far Sariel, simple explanations and diagrams make tricky concepts easy to understand, :sweet: Good idea also to include instructions, these are great! :thumbup:

View PostSariel, on 02 December 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

I really think Lego is about creativity - it's Ikea that is about building from instructions :)

--> My YouTube <--

#98 Jetro

Jetro

Member: 4145

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

I got mine a couple of days ago. The postman gave me a weird look because the package didn't make a noise :D
Anyway, I've taken it out to check it really was the book I was waiting for and then had to put it back. Sometimes life takes over. I hope to finally get some time after tomorrow to really start reading it...

#99 Sariel

Sariel

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Thanks. If you're still hesitating about the book, there's plenty of buyer reviews at Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/cdluzmp

#100 bb15080

bb15080

Member: 19842

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

just recieved the book :cry_happy:. First look; looks absolutly good :wub:  . Well done Sariel :thumbup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users