Sign in to follow this  
Wrinkledog

4200 Mining 4x4 Set Review

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I have been impressed with the next generation of Town sets, they only seem to be getting better!

For this review I chose set 4200 Mining 4x4/ I also chose not to apply the stickers at this time.

So let's start with the box.

Here is a picture of the front of the box:

7281116388_0548301453.jpg

And the Picture of the back of the box:

7281116026_4cb5cd9fa9.jpg

Opening the set we find a couple bags of parts, a sticker sheet and the car chassis loose:

7281115648_be2c169962.jpg

Here you can see all the parts neatly arranged:

7281114902_94da13b9b9.jpg

The minifigure is really nice. He looks like he is ready for some heavy work:

7281113234_583a2d800a.jpg

The new mining hat is very nice:

7281115346_6f0777cc2f.jpg

The build for this set is pretty simple and goes very quickly.

You start by building various signs and explosives. The plunger and the timed explosive charge are very clever:

7281115180_dec67fb03f.jpg

Here is a random step in the build process:

7281113988_38744fc3f2.jpg

I really liked the way Lego made the side mirrors:

7281114588_4ed67e03b8.jpg

Here is the truck all finished from the front:

7281113632_75de31b1c8.jpg

And the finished truck from the back:

7281114302_853821298b.jpg

This set also comes with a nice collection of spare parts:

7281113410_2b3accde70.jpg

Overall thoughts:

Design 8/10

I felt the design of this set was really well done. It is a nice little truck that would look great in any modern Lego Town.

Parts 7/10

Great selection of Parts in this set. Although it seems that we have been treated to a lot of yellow in recent years.

Minifig 9/10

The minifig is wonderful. Any minifig that has flannel is tops in my Book! The new mining hat is really awesome.

Build 7/10

Nothing fancy. Pretty simple. Should be a pretty easy build for just about anyone.

Playability9/10

Wonderful little truck. Really looks sharp, and it's a guy who hauls around explosives! How cool is that!

Price 9/10This set keeps to the same pricing formula of other sets this size. If you like it, you will get it. If you're not so sure, then you will wait for a sale.

Overall: 81%

I think this new mining theme has great potential. This little set has some great parts, and seems to have a lot of re playability. The truck is very well designed and looks great. I would have enjoyed this set even more had it come with a bit less yellow.

Here is the link to my Flickr images in case you want to hop over there to see them too :classic:

Nice review, 'Wrinkledog'! :classic:

Out of all the Mining sets, this will probably be the one I pick up. My favorite Mining set is the Mine set, though that's too overpriced. :hmpf_bad:

Edited by just2good

Thanks for the review 'Wrinkledog', a great little set though it's odd no shovel to dig with but a jack hammer with no power source ? :wink: (I know powered by imagination ! :laugh: )

I can see a few of these pick ups being adapted to the construction field quite easy and in different colours for a ute muster ! :grin:

The best part of this set is the minifig, with the safety goggles on his face and that helmet with headlight....a huge :thumbup: ! :grin:

I can't wait to get this set and the others too.....I now wait for the next review ! :wink:

This is really the only mining set that was of interest when the pictures first surfaced. I really like the fig here, and I wanted one of the new helmets. So cool! These sets are starting to grow on me(much like Monster Fighters) after giving them a good look in the flesh. I just need more room to add all these new sub themes TLG is bringing out(don't we all :grin:).

Nice review. Great pictures and an informative review.

Nice little vehicle for a 4-wide, definitely one of the better ones in recent times.

That said, I think I'm going to skip this one and get 4201 instead which will cost nearly the same in my country.

Good review. This was the first of the summer sets that I found and had to pick up, despite finding it at TRU with the infamous 'TRU Tax' already applied to the price. When I first saw pictures of this set, I knew I'd pick up more than one. First, the price point is right for an impulse buy (even at TRU). Second, while yellow has been popular lately (Dino theme for example), this is the cheapest set I can recall recently in which we've gotten the yellow doors and yellow 'hood' piece (in this case used as the roof). These are must have pieces if you want to build yellow cars and trucks. We also get the awesome new miner mini-fig and helmet, which will be quite useful.

Plus, this set is so much fun to play with. I must admit to playing with this set several times now, without my kids present. What's not to like about dynamite and a plunger style detonator.

I'm not sure if I'll pick up any of the other mining sets, it will probably depend on whether I find them on sale. But I will definitely pick up some more of this set.

Great review I really like this set I will also be getting a few of these. :classic:

This is really the only mining set that was of interest when the pictures first surfaced. I really like the fig here, and I wanted one of the new helmets. So cool! These sets are starting to grow on me(much like Monster Fighters) after giving them a good look in the flesh. I just need more room to add all these new sub themes TLG is bringing out(don't we all :grin:).

Nice review. Great pictures and an informative review.

Funny, I picked up this and my first Monster Fighters set today. Anyway, I really like the pickup design, I think its one of the better vehicles they've done in this scale. I would love to get the mine, but I don't have the space in my town for it, plus I'm really starting to like the Monster Fighters series.

Great review. I'll definitely pick this set up since its small and cheap. I really like the new mining hats.

The other mining sets seem too large for my city although they are still nice. :thumbup::classic:

It looks like the top of a pair of pliers. A few of the miners have details like that, it looks almost like they should have had leg printing but for some reason don't.

It looks like the top of a pair of pliers. A few of the miners have details like that, it looks almost like they should have had leg printing but for some reason don't.

Obviously the bottom half of the pliers is just stuffed down his pants. :tongue:

Anyway, great review. This is indeed a snazzy little set, featuring opening doors, side mirrors, and other great details. Definitely a good start for the Mining subtheme!