Black Seas Barracuda vs Skull's Eye Schooner

86 replies to this topic  – Started by ukdevilz , Nov 25 2006 11:50 AM

Poll: You must choose... (191 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is better?

1. Black Seas Barracuda (122 votes [63.21%])

Percentage of vote: 63.21%

2. Skull's Eye Schooner (71 votes [36.79%])

Percentage of vote: 36.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 blueandwhite

blueandwhite
  • Sandwich Stealer

Member: 481

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:32 AM

For me this isn't even a contest.  The BSB is far and away the best ship LEGO has ever produced.  The SES may have more gunports but the aesthetic of the BSB is simply impossible to beat.  Long before the ornate beauty of the Cafe Corner or Green Grocer, LEGO produced a wonderful ship that had a highly ornate aft castle and a colour scheme that would make any sailor proud.  As an added bonus; the colour scheme is such that it can easily be converted to an Imperial scheme and you have a real winner.   For me this is a situation where biggest isn't always the best.

BSB for life !!!

Edited by blueandwhite, 30 August 2008 - 06:32 AM.

#52 Antsa Antero

Antsa Antero

Member: 3455

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:38 PM

Well said mate!

Now where are the SES defenders? We need some opposition or the SES will sink soon!

#53 Captain Zuloo

Captain Zuloo
  • god for 10

Member: 1816

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:04 AM

I just thought since we are now certain of a new pirate line, it was time to revisit this thread. We have all voted about the possibility of there being a better new ship than the BSB or SES, but now I thought it was time to decide which is best between those two. So come on! Let us know! :pir-classic:

Posted Image

Brick Expo 2011 - Australia's BIGGEST LEGO Expo!
www.brickexpo.com.au

#54 Richie

Richie

Member: 3527

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:38 PM

I voted for SES. Although I think the name is wrong (I believe this is not a schooner, but a bark) and the BSB looks better. But I think the BSB looks too wealthy to be a pirates' ship. A smaller ship like 6268 would be great for pirates, a sneaky little vessel to surprise a merchant ship. But from these two, I think SES is the best overall. And in a battle, the SES has four guns a side against two for the BSB. But the rotating system is not really realistic. However, just looking at the pics, both ships are better than the new ship coming in 2009.

Edited by Richie, 19 October 2008 - 05:42 PM.

It's multifunctionomical.

Posted Image

Flickr

#55 Captain Zuloo

Captain Zuloo
  • god for 10

Member: 1816

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:36 PM

View PostRichie, on Oct 20 2008, 02:38 AM, said:

I voted for SES. Although I think the name is wrong (I believe this is not a schooner, but a bark) and the BSB looks better. But I think the BSB looks too wealthy to be a pirates' ship. A smaller ship like 6268 would be great for pirates, a sneaky little vessel to surprise a merchant ship. But from these two, I think SES is the best overall. And in a battle, the SES has four guns a side against two for the BSB. But the rotating system is not really realistic. However, just looking at the pics, both ships are better than the new ship coming in 2009.
I don't think LEGO had accuracy in mind when they designed the names for the ships. After all, the Crossbone Clipper is not a clipper at all. If I didn't know better, I would say megablocks produced that set.

Posted Image

Brick Expo 2011 - Australia's BIGGEST LEGO Expo!
www.brickexpo.com.au

#56 Zorro

Zorro
  • Farewell Dieter!

Member: 3951

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:11 PM

How many times we got to vote this...the BSB ALWAYS WINS! Unless TLC releases something better or the SES lovers all open 2 or 3 spoofaccounts, the BSB will rule the seas forever!

Edited by zorro3999, 22 October 2008 - 12:42 AM.

#57 Razzer

Razzer

Member: 4116

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:51 PM

Gotta go with Zorro on that one :thumbup:
I need a better camera, to photograph Lego, but I need to buy more Lego so I have something good to photograph, darn I can't win...

#58 Wes

Wes

Member: 619

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:52 PM

One thing that I think needs to be pointed out is that the SES fall apart a lot more easily. Its increased fragility is caused by its unsteady stern castle and the "gun bathtub" midsection that lacks a deck. Even the SES cargo hatches (in the forecastle) are built far more weakly than the BSB's cargo hatches.

#59 Captain Blackmoor

Captain Blackmoor
  • Hates Redcoats, likes crab meat

Member: 4015

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:28 PM

When these ships are fighting eachother the SES will win, because it has more firepower at each broadside.
The SES's 4 cannons easily fires the BSB to the bottom :pir-skull:
But the BSB is much more realistic, not only the colour sheme but also the small details and functions on it.
The looks of the BSB makes it so impressive, but in a battle the SES wins. That's why the SES gets my vote.

Sail to My Brickshelf or to My MOCpages, or my Flickr Photostream!

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines  - Index of helpful tutorials

Avalonia Trading Company

#60 MillerTime

MillerTime

Member: 4409

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:32 PM

I really don't know.  I have both of these ships but it's impossible for me to decide.  The BSB does look more realistic but I still really like aspects of the SES.  They are by far the two best ships.

#61 captian flint lock

captian flint lock

Member: 2626

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:52 AM

i have the bsb therefore i prefer the bsb  :pir-wink:
i think that it looks more realistic, and hase lots of space to put stuff like cargo, crew and RUM!!!!!!

flint lock

#62 Bicoku

Bicoku

Member: 5332

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

Skulls Eye Schooner takes my vote :pir-wub: . I like the skull in the sail :jollyroger: . BSB is more realistic but we are talking about lego and lego is fantasy. We are not collecting  ships models but toys :pir-wink:

#63 Captan Stewart Strike

Captan Stewart Strike

Member: 5287

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:44 AM

i like pancakes  :sing:

#64 Ratshot

Ratshot
  • Thank you for your contributions!

Member: 4799

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:52 AM

Skull's Eye Schooner is a whole lot better, It has 4 portable cannons, a larger crew (I think?), anyway I think it is a whole lot better than BSB.  

P.S  I love BSB :pir-wub: .......a whole lot

Edited by Broadside, 28 March 2009 - 08:10 PM.

My flickr

Posted Image
1969 Dodge Charger RT

#65 Lord Derfel Cadarn

Lord Derfel Cadarn
  • Lives in a pumpkin eat pumpkin world.

Member: 5528

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:36 AM

I think everyone is getting sidetracked from the actual point of this post.  Yes, the Dark Shark 6285(im british so i use the uk name) is a overall better designed ship, but its not about which ship is the better model. Its about which ship would win if they had a battle. My vote would be the Black Skull 6286. Because a full broardside from 4 cannons would cause more destruction then 2. Plus if you count the little grey cannons on top of the cabin then thats five cannons on each side.
Posted Image     Posted Image                                                                          
                                    Lord Of The Dark Isle                 
                                                      My Flickr

#66 Wes

Wes

Member: 619

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

The poll question doesn't say anything about battle.

Besides, going by physical endurance, the BSB still wins--it is built more study than the SES. I've learned the hard way that the SES is rather fragile compared to the BES when you need to transport it. The sterncastle is delicate and the ship has a tendency to break in two at its midsection.

#67 General Armendariz

General Armendariz
  • I invoke upon thee...the Curse of the Merman-General!

Member: 4056

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

Some day im going to buy both of these and show a brickfilm about them battling.
The BSB will win  :pir-blush:

#68 Admiral Rodgers

Admiral Rodgers

Member: 5669

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:22 AM

Someone should make a MOC battle using these two ships, based on the results. Of course as of now the BSB will splinter the SES! :pir_laugh2:
Posted Image''Honi soit qui mal y pense''  
'' Evil be to him who evil thinks'

While living in Nazi-occupied Paris during World War II, Picasso suffered harassment from the Gestapo. One officer allegedly asked him, upon seeing a photo of Guernica in his apartment, "Did you do that?" Picasso responded, "No, you did."

#69 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!

Member: 3891

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:24 PM

I voted on the Skull's eye Schooner, it has a broadside of 4 while the Black Seas Barracuda has only 2,
that means that the SES can fire 4 cannonballs at once while the BSB can only fire 2 (in one direction)
so the SES would damage the BSB more.
Furthermore, the SES is a Galleon so it would probably be faster than the BSB but that's just a detail.
though I like the BSB more, the Skull's Eye Schooner is the winner in a cannonbattle

View PostWes, on Mar 28 2009, 04:12 PM, said:

Besides, going by physical endurance, the BSB still wins--it is built more study than the SES. I've learned the hard way that the SES is rather fragile compared to the BES when you need to transport it. The sterncastle is delicate and the ship has a tendency to break in two at its midsection.

you are right about the sterncastle but my SES never broke in two at its midsection, I think the amount of guns IN ONE DIRECTION is most important in a battle

#70 Sir Wellington

Sir Wellington

Member: 5693

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

Well I saw the Military Channel do this for ships so I'll do it for the SES and the BSB.

Black Seas Barracuda:
Firepower: 2
Appearance: 7/10
Speed: 6/10
Space: 6/10
Strength: 8/10
Popularity: 8/10
Overall: 70/100

Skulls Eye Schooner:
Firepower: 4
Appearance: 8/10
Speed: 7/10
Space: 5/10
Strength: 5/10
Popularity: 4/10
Overall: 60/100

Edited by Sir Wellington, 03 April 2009 - 01:24 PM.

A leader can't control the hearts of men unless he adjusts his to see their perspective.
~Kinzcove

1:36 P.M. 8/6/09

Why would I want to control the whole word? Who shall be there to fight me other than revolutionary's and dreamers?
~Kinzcove

1:41 P.M. 8/6/09

#71 General Armendariz

General Armendariz
  • I invoke upon thee...the Curse of the Merman-General!

Member: 4056

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:30 PM

View PostSir Wellington, on Apr 3 2009, 07:20 AM, said:

Black Seas Barracuda:
Speed: 6/10

Skulls Eye Schooner:
Speed: 7/10
The SES is not faster. :pir-hmpf_bad: Doesent anyone know that?

#72 Capt. Kirk

Capt. Kirk
  • Graphics artist

Member: 3176

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:42 AM

View PostWes, on Mar 28 2009, 05:12 PM, said:

But if we talk about a battle,...
The Romans would say; numbers don't always matter, it all depends on the strategy

Edited by Capt. Kirk, 04 April 2009 - 02:43 AM.

Respect all Lego bricks !!!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

My website (Tablesoccer): CBKA | My Flickr gallery

#73 Ratshot

Ratshot
  • Thank you for your contributions!

Member: 4799

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:42 PM

View PostCapt. Kirk, on Apr 3 2009, 11:42 PM, said:

But if we talk about a battle,...
The Romans would say; numbers don't always matter, it all depends on the strategy

And that is EXCATLY what they would say.

My flickr

Posted Image
1969 Dodge Charger RT

#74 pirate4life

pirate4life

Member: 4516

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:02 PM

i dont really know what to say because i dont have any lego pirate ships at all new or old :pir-cry_sad:  but i have to vote for the bsb. :pir-skull:

#75 Captain_Planet

Captain_Planet

Member: 5786

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:19 AM

I really do not know. I am so young that I missed out on the 1989 BSB and I grew up LUSTING for an SES but have so far not gotten one. I have however just bagged a BSB off ebay, and boy is she a beauty.

I did not realize the apparent strength and rigidity issues with the SES. The BSB is superbly designed and is very solid. The only fragile part is the rear window section.

I voted for the BSB because it is the only one I own. BUT, I still REALLY want a SES but do not want to fork out $200 CAN for it. For all of you who dislike the color scheme of the SES, I LOVE IT. I also really dig the huge skull sail = FANTASTIC.

Dan

Edmonton, Canada

Edited by Captain_Planet, 11 April 2009 - 05:20 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links