Black Seas Barracuda vs Skull's Eye Schooner

86 replies to this topic  – Started by ukdevilz , Nov 25 2006 11:50 AM

Poll: You must choose... (191 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is better?

1. Black Seas Barracuda (122 votes [63.21%])

Percentage of vote: 63.21%

2. Skull's Eye Schooner (71 votes [36.79%])

Percentage of vote: 36.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Khorne

Khorne
  • I will not torment the emotionally frail - Nevermind

Member: 284

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:43 PM

View PostCapn Kirk 911, on Dec 19 2006, 02:05 PM, said:

Black seas barracuda all the way, more cannons, bigger,m and I just have to... cooler   *sweet* !
Aren't the SES and BSB about the same size?
I like both of the ships a lot (altough I don't own any :'-( ), but if I really have to choose, I'll go for the BSB. I remember staring at a pic of it in a catalog for hours, admiring it's beauty and wishing that I would get one someday.

flickr | brickshelf | Holmgang Wiki

Playing as Eric in Heroica RPG
Posted Image

#27 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • Retired

Member: 359

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:27 PM

View PostTully, on Dec 5 2006, 02:30 AM, said:

Am I the only one who agrees with Mister Phes?
No. SES all the way (it seems I've voted already although I can't remember).

BSB looks "cute" with its color scheme and it makes a nice "toy boat", but as a pirate (or any sailing) ship the SES looks a lot better (and I know 'cos I happen to own one).

#28 Evil Willy

Evil Willy
  • Mini Phes

Member: 563

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:37 PM

Havn't had any of them so I can't put up a fight, but If I was(When I do) buy one its SES first, BSB Second. The sheer massiveness, and it looks great!

#29 Paradosis

Paradosis

Member: 684

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:55 AM

If it's about which ship would win in a fight, I'd guess the SES. If it's about just being a pirate ship, I'd say it's even (the black/white sails might be less visible than red/white, but the giant pirate symbol across one of the sails is probably a pretty good tip off as to who controls the ship). For color scheme and set design, I'd definitely go with the BSB. Then there's also the nostalgia factor, which for me definitely favors the BSB. So I also voted for the BSB.

Edited by Paradosis, 25 July 2007 - 02:56 AM.

#30 Atlack

Atlack

Member: 1780

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:33 AM

I agree with Mister Phes that the sails on the BSB look dorky.  However, I think that the green elements and the big skull and Crossbones on the SES look dorkier.  There's a reason i modified my own BSB with black sails  *sweet*

#31 SirNadroj

SirNadroj
  • Rock Hard ABS

Member: 998

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:21 PM

I don't have either, but the SES would see the BSB to Davy Jones!

#32 Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett

Member: 1845

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:28 PM

I voted for the Barracuda, the one I own. It has sentimental value for me since I received it from my parents as a X-mas present.

Edited by Lord Beckett, 10 August 2007 - 10:28 PM.

#33 Joey Lock

Joey Lock
  • Captain Blue Hair drives a pink scooter!

Member: 1823

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:50 PM

I would Proberbly have to say BSB all the way because depending on the SES colour coordination and its doors dont work with a pirate ship.

Ive got to say that the doors on SES belong in towns, and who would have a Red, Brown, White and Black pirate ship may i ask?

I agree that the SES is Pumped full of weapondry and Charecther.
:)

Posted Image

God save the gracious King,
Long live the noble King,
God save the King:
Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the King.

Posted Image

#34 Joey Lock

Joey Lock
  • Captain Blue Hair drives a pink scooter!

Member: 1823

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:35 PM

I would say BSB is better since it can easily be transformed and it can be "Flying false colours" easily. *y*

But i would say the SES is more of a Priviteer ship sent out to sink enemy ships. :'-(

Over all I like the BSB more since ive wanted it for 5 years and i may be getting it soon! X-D

Posted Image

God save the gracious King,
Long live the noble King,
God save the King:
Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the King.

Posted Image

#35 Captain Longshaw

Captain Longshaw

Member: 1895

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:44 PM

I was thinking the SES was cooler for a while... but now I'm not sure... I'm maybe going to Legoland, Billund soon and was thinking of buying pirate lego there, do you know if there is? And if I do, I would probably buy SES AND BSB... But maybe I will just buy one and then, which one is the better do you think? (By the way I'm 12 years old)

*sweet*

#36 Scouty

Scouty
  • [not worthy of classic film title]

Member: 863

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:08 PM

Sorry :[, but pirate lego has been discontinued from LEGO since 2002, I believe...Make your statement here:

Here!

:capn:

You can always try to find a copy on Bricklink.com and Ebay.com

Welcome to Eurobricks by the way!
.Posted Image
"Mr. Nowhere" John Doe >:] | Bruno Bear, the watchmaker | Sassy Cooter | Scar Mimitsus >:] |
First Officer Commander Cameron Walters :3 | Casey Cat, Puuurfect painter | Sveinn, the Uninspired :3 | Scouty | L'il Scouty | Langston Lionheart >:]

#37 Commander Red Hat

Commander Red Hat
  • Leader of the Redcoats!

Member: 1914

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:39 PM

I like the BSB better, it's more realistic.
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#38 Captain Charles F. Harlowe

Captain Charles F. Harlowe

Member: 1907

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:03 PM

Hello!

I voted for the Skulls eye Schooner, though I have only the Black Seas Barracuda, as I always preferred threemasted Ships with that Rigging.

I am the Yours,

Captain Charles F. Harlowe

#39 SlyOwl

SlyOwl
  • Watch out for Infuriated Isaac's metatarsal!

Member: 2057

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:43 PM

Surely a Pirate King's vote should count for more?  :-D

SES vs BSB? Hmm...I own the BSB (30 off eBay!   8- ) but not the SES, although it's at the top of my wanted list  :'-(

Looks: The SES is meaner, longer and sleeker, but the BSB is a classic and easily convertable to Imperials... Verdict: Drawn

Parts:
- Animals: SES=parrot, monley, shark; BSB=parrot, monkey  Verdict: SES
- Masts: SES=2 large, 1 short, 1 jib; BSB=2 large, 1 jib  Verdict: SES
- Sails: SES=6; BSB=5  Verdict: SES
- Weapons: SES=4 cannons, 9 cutlasses, 5 pistols, 5 muskets; BSB=4 cannons, 9 cutlasses, 5 pistols, 3 muskets, 2 battleaxes  Verdict: Drawn
- Treasure: SES=8 coins, 1 cup, 1 treasure chest, 1 locker; BSB=8 coins, 2 cups, 2 treasure chests  Verdict: BSB
- Crew: SES=9, including Redbeard, wench, white torso pirate; BSB=8, including Redbeard, wench  Verdict: SES
- Special parts: SES=1 ladder, 5 flexi-tubes, 1 compass, panel with Jolly Roger, 1 black propeller, 2 yellow latticed windows; BSB=1 flexi-tube, 2 yellow flowers, 8 white latticed windows, 4 brown doors  Verdict: Drawn
- Overall: SES=892; BSB=865  Verdict: SES

Price: SES=$126.50; BSB=$110  Verdict: BSB

Features: SES=green cannon flaps, mounted muskets, steering, smaller cannon, 4-cannon broadside; BSB=reallistic cannon arrangement, sloping upper-deck  Verdict: SES

Overall, I choose the SES because of its higher playability and its sleeker design. It's longer too, but the BSB doesn't compete for parts (partly  :-P  due to its earlier manufacture). The SES has a larger crew and is far meaner than the BSB, a better all rounder although it wouldn't compete in a battle.

To the barricades!
Posted Image

#40 Scouty

Scouty

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:49 PM

View PostSlyOwl, on Nov 28 2007, 04:43 PM, said:

Looks: The SES is meaner, longer

Despite the castles, the BSB and the SES have the same mid-section and composition of the front. I would say they are equal length, give or take studs.
.Posted Image
"Mr. Nowhere" John Doe >:] | Bruno Bear, the watchmaker | Sassy Cooter | Scar Mimitsus >:] |
First Officer Commander Cameron Walters :3 | Casey Cat, Puuurfect painter | Sveinn, the Uninspired :3 | Scouty | L'il Scouty | Langston Lionheart >:]

#41 Johnny 5

Johnny 5

Member: 1999

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:52 AM

I recently got my first BSB two months back I plan to get the SES, but since I've yet to I'm going with BSB.

#42 Col. Whipstick

Col. Whipstick
  • Professor of Colonial History

Member: 1079

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:47 PM

There's a problem with this poll.

Voting between two pirate ships?  This is like choosing between two devils...

I say let's vote between the Clipper and the Imperial Flagship, atleast those are crewed by civilized men and not some poxy, scurvy ridden, smelly scum!  :-P

#43 SlyOwl

SlyOwl
  • Watch out for Infuriated Isaac's metatarsal!

Member: 2057

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:17 PM

View PostImperialScouts, on Nov 28 2007, 10:49 PM, said:

Despite the castles, the BSB and the SES have the same mid-section and composition of the front. I would say they are equal length, give or take studs.

I meant overall, not taking hull size into account; additionally, the narrower sails give it a longer, thinner look although it is the same width.

To the barricades!
Posted Image

#44 Axle

Axle
  • Pirate Stop Motion Animator

Member: 1011

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:10 PM

I'd vote the SES because:

It has 4 cannons and a monkey X-D, the lifeboat is easily accessed...Wait that'd mean the BSB is better because they're scaredy cats and need a lifebot.:-P

And it's not too visible on a foggy night.

It's the only one I've seen.My friend got it for free because he was supposed to build it for a school or something but he just kept it for himself.

Edited by Axle, 01 December 2007 - 11:42 AM.

#45 Lord Of Pies

Lord Of Pies
  • Official Pirate Set Reviewer, who's back into pirates!

Member: 2085

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:48 PM

My vote goes to BSB.

The Black seas Barracuda was the first pirate ship I ever got, so obviously it has a sentimental value for me as, I received it for my birthday.

The SES's colour scheme is, to me, horrible!! I am sorry to all you SES fans but I personally cannot stand the green, red and white colour scheme, and the rotating cannon mechanism is not all that realistic compared to the BSB's sliding mechanism. Also the BSB has more treasure so it gets my vote. It was a tight vote...
Are you hasty for a tasty pastry?

#46 Scouty

Scouty

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:49 PM

View PostSlyOwl, on Nov 29 2007, 12:17 PM, said:

I meant overall, not taking hull size into account; additionally, the narrower sails give it a longer, thinner look although it is the same width.

Ah, okie then!

View PostCol. Whipstick, on Nov 29 2007, 06:47 AM, said:

There's a problem with this poll.

Voting between two pirate ships?  This is like choosing between two devils...

I say let's vote between the Clipper and the Imperial Flagship, atleast those are crewed by civilized men and not some poxy, scurvy ridden, smelly scum!  :-P

I think there is :-P
.Posted Image

#47 The Daphne Blue Strat

The Daphne Blue Strat

Member: 2509

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:27 PM

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I saw it at the top of the page so I couldn't help.

I voted for the Skull's Eye Schooner.  Besides the much-noted advantage in firepower on a broadside, I can't help believing that the lanteen on the quarterdeck would add a great deal to the ship's speed (especially while quartering, as it stays well out of the way of the square sails).
"D'you know, Aubrey, you remind me of that old Sodomite from the Bible."

"Sodomite, sir?!"

- Adm. Drury and Capt. Aubrey, RN

#48 Dovchenko

Dovchenko

Member: 2061

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:08 AM

View PostThe Daphne Blue Strat, on May 19 2008, 05:27 PM, said:

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I saw it at the top of the page so I couldn't help.

I voted for the Skull's Eye Schooner.  Besides the much-noted advantage in firepower on a broadside, I can't help believing that the lanteen on the quarterdeck would add a great deal to the ship's speed (especially while quartering, as it stays well out of the way of the square sails).

Gotta say that I'm happy you revived it. It's a nice topic that needs to be continued.

Where's me Captain Kragg's Pirate Boat? I loved that 4+ Stuff! *sarcasm*

SES wins. It has an odd colour scheme, but for some reason I like it and it seems to be a nice "newer" pirate ship. With its much critiqued pirate sails, it looks very fierce. Plus, it's super practical. The ships are different:

BSB: Less Firepower, Slightly Stronger Hull
SES: More Firepower, Slightly Weaker

Don't ask me why, I've always viewed it this way.
"For the sake of Dovchenko I am translating that last paragraph into short and more friendly words so he can understand:"

I am protector of the Hoth Rebel Base and Soviet...

2008 Wishlist:
AT-ST
Hoth Rebel Base (done, ordered 08/02/08)
AT-AT

We want 1x3 tiles!!!
If you'd like 1x3 tiles as well, help me campagne and put it in your sig!

#49 Fluyt

Fluyt

Member: 2980

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:23 PM

Why all the arguments about visibility? The BSB could pass for an imperial ship, and when it gets close it would hoist its pirate flags. The SES on the other hand has a BIG skull and crossbones on their sails, they couldn't get close to a vessel without the targeted vessel having noted them as being pirates from miles away, thus being able to prepare for an attack, while the BSB could catch them by surprise. (and otherwise, there's still lot's of colour on the SES)
Secondly the BSB always has 2 cannons per side, while the SES may have to swivel them over to the other side.
But SES is probably faster with that extra sail, and once it has its cannons in position it has great firepower.
So its a close call, against eachother I think the SES would win, but against any other vessel the BSB would have the upperhand. +I like the design/colouring of the BSB better.

#50 Antsa Antero

Antsa Antero

Member: 3455

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:43 PM

I finally got my first BSB, my childhood dream came true!

Now after building it's time to write something about it

I absolutely love that color scheme on it! Cabinet with it's windows looks so nice

Altough i'm a bit disappointed. I think lego could have used the space more efficiently
so 6 cannos would have fit, or then make something else from that space. Also
I think that ship definetely needs more details

Overall, I think BSB is much better than SES. WITH ALL RESPECT  to SES lovers I think
the coloring of it is looks bad. Green flacs in pirate ship, camon! And those doors,
that's what i think makes SES like a toy ship. Doors look all too sweet for pirate ship, and they
belong to lego's city sets. And what's that steering wheel going through cabin's roof?

And that upper stand is way too smal for ship big as that. Only good thing in SES are those four cannons, they rock!

So, both  BSB or SES is not exactly how I would like ship to look like, so I must create my own one :)

Edited by Antsa Antero, 25 July 2008 - 05:30 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links