kurigan

Dhow

Another WIP, this is a Dhow, a kind of lateen rigged sea boat, originating in either the Persian Gulf or Indian Ocean, which migrate to the Mediterranean later. I’m building mine for my Barbary pirates and is the project for which I’ve been developing my swivel guns. The term Dhow is rather general referring to many different sized and style vessels from the world over and is often applied to most any lateen rig as such. On this scale mine is very much like a European pinnace and will be applied to inshore work. These otherwise land based pirates would use their Dhow to sail out to raid passing merchantmen or travel down coast to attack other ports and settlements.

This is very much a WIP and though I’ve played around with a paper sail template and some pirates I didn’t really intended to reveal it yet. I only brought it out as I wanted to submit it to “Ships Boats“. Though the hull is about what it will be, there is so much more work to be done. Comment if you are so inspired, but keep in mind just how incomplete the model is.

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

As always more images on my Photobucket.

Some good designs in here, here's another one me and Errorist made some time ago for the Prins Willem:

Did you mean to post this in here or in the Ship's Boats thread? Would you mind reposting the image in that thread if you didnt? I think its a lovely design and would add to the discussion there.

OT: looking good so far Kurigan! It will be interesting to see how you detail the insides of the dhow, lots of SNOT techniques required no doubt :pir-classic: Keep it up!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley