Ship's boats

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic  – Started by Dread Pirate Wesley , May 23 2012 11:17 PM

#1 Dread Pirate Wesley

Dread Pirate Wesley

Member: 7124

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

134 A&B
Hello everyone,
I wanted to start a topic on making bruickbuilt ship's boats.  Ship's boats might seem like a contradiction, but what Im refering to are the longboats, cutters, and pinaces that men-o-war carried for all the small duties required to serve a larger vessel.  Ive been tinckering and kit bashing some models together to compliment my own man-o-war, but I thought it would be best to start a new topic devoted to these small craft.  Of course you could just use Lego small boats, but this thread is for MOC boats.

After going through several versions I came up with this for the ship's longboat:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It can seat 6, or 4 plus a sea chest, with 3 rowing stations and one at the tiller. The colors are only for the mock up, I had the most pieces in red and black.  The final version will probably be white with a green stripe as this seems to be most common.  Here is a version of a cutter, didnt quite have enough yellow but you get the idea:

Posted Image
Posted Image

The cutter is in a "stowed" configuration, with lashings and oars as she would be on the deck of a ship.  The cutter is quite a bit smaller than the longboat here's how they look on the boat rails of a ship-of-the-line:

Posted Image

This seems to be an under discussed topic but let me know what you guys think. Let's see some of your ideas and creations!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley
"You see, no one would surrender to the Dread Pirate Wesley..."

Flickr

Posted Image

Persephone                           The Pickle

#2 Captainmorgan

Captainmorgan

Member: 17647

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:53 PM

I think It is a wonderful idea, yet I can't use it because my ship is too small. (I think) But I hope your idea catches on. :thumbup:
Scotland Forever!

#3 kurigan

kurigan
  • Fresh Pirate

Member: 9706

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:05 AM

I love the idea, I even like what you have so far, but would you hate me if I suggested they look a bit more like zodiacs then long boats?

Posted Image

it might be the colors, which you suggested you'd change o later models, but i think they are a bot shallow and come to a point at the keel rather abruptly. like a larger ship, long boats seemed to be more "horse shoe" shaped in the cross section.
Posted Image

#4 Yawgmoth

Yawgmoth
  • Glory to the Bluecoats!

Member: 10202

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:28 AM

Really nice! I'll try my desing based on yours, hopefully this weekend..
Redesigning classics, with my own flavor :)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Dread Pirate Wesley

Dread Pirate Wesley

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:37 AM

kurigan, on 24 May 2012 - 02:05 AM, said:

I love the idea, I even like what you have so far, but would you hate me if I suggested they look a bit more like zodiacs then long boats?

I agree with you they do look more like rigid boats than long boats.  They do have a keel though, so the cross section is not flat on the bottom, as you can tell they dont even sit flat on a table.  They are not perfect by any means but that is why I started this thread, to get ideas and for people to post their versions.  Try it out yourself and see what you can come up with!

:jollyroger: DPW

Flickr

Posted Image

#6 Legonardo

Legonardo
  • Can't Build With One Arm Tied Behind His Back

Member: 22773

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

Posted Image
just one pic, enjoy!

Posted Image Posted Image

Legonardo

Posted Image

Flickr

#7 Dread Pirate Wesley

Dread Pirate Wesley

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

Legonardo Davidy, on 24 May 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

just one pic, enjoy!

Looks great Legonardo!  I especially like the technique on the bow, gives it a very realistic shape.  It might be a bit large for minifig illusion scale but would fit nicely on a minifig scale ship.  Good stuff  :thumbup:

Flickr

Posted Image

#8 Captainmorgan

Captainmorgan

Member: 17647

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

Actually the will fit. :pir-cry_happy:

If you posted a picture of a white one, it  would probably change the minds of some people. :jollyroger:
Scotland Forever!

#9 Frank Brick Wright

Frank Brick Wright
  • Baby Minifigure

Member: 20080

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

Great design, incredible how you built it so detailed.

I tried to make a design of my own but really couldn't find anything with which I was pleased. Perhaps you can however take some inspiration at Foremast's Jack design, which I find very nice too:

Posted Image

A ship is floating in the harbour now,

The wind is hovering o'er the mountain's brow;

There is a path on the sea's azure floor,

No keel has ever ploughed that path before

(Percy Bysshe Shelley)

MOCPages account, Flickr and Brickshelf

#10 kurigan

kurigan
  • Fresh Pirate

Member: 9706

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

I was interrupted before finishing my last entry but posted it in my haste any way. I do have a design of my own to submit and find it interesting the Legonardo chimed in as mine is based on his as it appeared in “Close Encounters”. This is a Dhow (a kind of lateen rigged sea boat, originating in either the Persian Gulf or Indian Ocean and migrate to the Mediterranean later.) It’s not exactly a launch, though they are a sort of Arabic version, of what Europeans call a pinnace. Using smaller parts to shrink the scale a bit might work well. Keep in mind though that ships boats (long boats, pinnace, even gigs) tend to be larger than expected, seating as many as four across.

Posted Image

#11 SlyOwl

SlyOwl
  • Watch out for Infuriated Isaac's metatarsal!

Member: 2057

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

I'm afraid I don't have a great picture of it, but I had a go at a longboat here -

Posted Image

It's pretty similar, with the two top SNOT layers with curved bricks in them, with some sort of base on it (mine had a curvier bottom).

To the barricades!
Posted Image

#12 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!

Member: 3891

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

Those are nice, I like the yellow one most (the shape).
I haven't made many ship boats yet, I only have these:
Posted Image
They are very small so they would fit on my ship (the prefab longboats were a bit too big) but obviously a bit minimalistic  :pir_laugh2:

#13 Dread Pirate Wesley

Dread Pirate Wesley

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

SlyOwl, on 26 May 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

I'm afraid I don't have a great picture of it, but I had a go at a longboat here -

It's pretty similar, with the two top SNOT layers with curved bricks in them, with some sort of base on it (mine had a curvier bottom).
Your longboat was a inspiration for mine, at least I think so, had to guess on a lot of it from that picture  :pir-classic:  I just made it shallower to fit the proportions of my ship-of-the-line.  Making it any taller or bigger and it dominates the center of the ship.  Love to see a better picture!

Sebeus I, on 26 May 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

Those are nice, I like the yellow one most (the shape).
I haven't made many ship boats yet, I only have these:
They are very small so they would fit on my ship (the prefab longboats were a bit too big) but obviously a bit minimalistic  :pir_laugh2:
Those would work well on a smaller ship for sure.  Plus they look like they could be stacked on top of each other which would be useful for a larger ship with 4 or more boats.

Flickr

Posted Image

#14 hobbes5a

hobbes5a

Member: 19868

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

Just 2 pics, built this weekend. :pir-tongue: :pir-tongue:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Horatio

Horatio

Member: 19957

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

Here's my boat for the HMS Athena. It's larger than the pre-fab boat that I have, and it has a slot at the bow for a mast.

[img]http://i.tinysrc.mobi/800/600/http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Dutchboy314/ship/imag0367.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.tinysrc.mobi/800/600/http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Dutchboy314/ship/imag0368.jpg[/img]
"England expects that every man will do his Duty." -Lord Nelson

#16 Dread Pirate Wesley

Dread Pirate Wesley

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

That's a nice boat Horatio, I like the blue and white color scheme too.  Thanks everyone else for posting examples in here too, lots of good inspiration.

I spent some time updating my first designs.  Finally have enough pieces to get the colors I want.  I wasn't too pleased with the bow design at first, I like this second attempt better.  Here's what I came up with for the longboat (yellow) and the cutter (red):

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the cutter with oars stowed, as she will appear on the boat booms:
Posted Image

Here's a cross section to show what it looks like with one side removed:
Posted Image

Let me know what you think!

Flickr

Posted Image

#17 Frank Brick Wright

Frank Brick Wright
  • Baby Minifigure

Member: 20080

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

It definitely is an improvement from your last version and I don't think it is possible to build something much better than this at this scale, great work Posted Image

The only thing I actually would change is the keel, quoting Kurigan's plans:

Posted Image

They don't get much of a keel, do they? I mean, there is a keel, obviously, but is so thin in comparison that I don't think its really worth making it. Yours is actually pretty near to the scale — in the plans the keel height is 1/10 of the total height while in yours is precisely 1/7, 1 plate out of 7. The whole point is that if there is a keel it should extend from stern to stern which is clearly impossible in this case.

The keel is totally irrelevant but I think it adds to extra height unnecessarily. This being said I absolutely love your design and I never thought that a boat this good could be made Posted Image Fantastic!

A ship is floating in the harbour now,

The wind is hovering o'er the mountain's brow;

There is a path on the sea's azure floor,

No keel has ever ploughed that path before

(Percy Bysshe Shelley)

MOCPages account, Flickr and Brickshelf

#18 Captain Blackmoor

Captain Blackmoor
  • Hates Redcoats, likes crab meat

Member: 4015

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

I've made this one a while ago. It still needs improvement but I'm getting there. :pir-classic:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:pir_yoda:

Sail to My Brickshelf or to My MOCpages, or my Flickr Photostream!

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines  - Index of helpful tutorials

Avalonia Trading Company

#19 halfpenguinhalflego

halfpenguinhalflego

Member: 6437

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

These all look very nice! I might have to try some out for my ships. Great idea for a thread. :pir_laugh2:
My FlickrPosted Image Posted Image  Posted Image

#20 Alasdair Ryan

Alasdair Ryan
  • Technic Hall of Fame Editor

Member: 8292

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

Nice boat's everyone,but may i ask what is going on in this picture in the corner of captain Blackmoor's boat? :pir-blush:

Posted Image

Edited by Alasdair Ryan, 02 July 2012 - 09:54 PM.

Posted Image

Updated 02/08/12
Posted Image

#21 Horry

Horry
  • He's back!

Member: 16842

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

Do I see an illegal building technique?  :bonaparte:  :pir-grin:

Those small boats are great, everyone! I might borrow some of those ideas sometime. I especially liked Horatio's boat as it seems very sleek.
Greetings from the horrible Horry!
New to Eurobricks? Don't get lost, read the site guidelines

Posted Image

Have a look on my tutorials on cannon fortifications caravels ship specs frigates and small ships

#22 Captain Blackmoor

Captain Blackmoor

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

The boat has been on the shelves for some time, and it's still not completed. It needs a lot of finetuning. :pir-tongue:
You guys were referring to the technique right? It's quite sloppy and I'm not going to keep it that way. :pir-wink:

Avalonia Trading Company

#23 Phred

Phred
  • Kinda back

Member: 1037

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:17 AM

Captain Blackmoor, on 02 July 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

I've made this one a while ago. It still needs improvement but I'm getting there. :pir-classic:
It seems a little big to me, but then again I am used to only frigate long boats.

Captain Green Hair and Errorist made an excellent one ages ago:

Posted Image

It had put mine to shame at the time, which didn't use any SNOT technique:

Posted Image

Inspired by Captain Green Hair's and Errorist's I built this one:

Posted Image

Pirates don't hunt for treasure.  They bury it- I mean we bury it.  - Captain Kirk

Posted Image

#24 Captain Blackmoor

Captain Blackmoor

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

It's true my longboat is quite large, but it's meant for a minifig scale third rate. It was required to hold about 80 men.

Le Duquesne is one of my inspiration sources, as you can see it holds quite a large longboat as well:

Posted Image

But again, my example is my first attempt at a longboat. :pir_laugh2:

Avalonia Trading Company

#25 Dread Pirate Wesley

Dread Pirate Wesley

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

Frank Brick Wright, on 02 July 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

It definitely is an improvement from your last version and I don't think it is possible to build something much better than this at this scale, great work Posted Image

They don't get much of a keel, do they? I mean, there is a keel, obviously, but is so thin in comparison that I don't think its really worth making it. Yours is actually pretty near to the scale — in the plans the keel height is 1/10 of the total height while in yours is precisely 1/7, 1 plate out of 7. The whole point is that if there is a keel it should extend from stern to stern which is clearly impossible in this case.

The keel is totally irrelevant but I think it adds to extra height unnecessarily. This being said I absolutely love your design and I never thought that a boat this good could be made
Posted Image Fantastic!

Thanks Frank.  I agree there is not much of a keel on these boats, that would kind of make them useless in the shallows anyways.  The 1 x 10 plate on the bottom of the longboat can be removed, but it is necessary to attach it to the boat booms on my sixty-four.  I will try extending it further or simply removing it and see how that looks.

That is a huge longboat Blackmoor!  I've actually never seen one quite so large, wonder if it had a special purpose to fit so many men.  How many minifigs do you think yours would hold? You should try it just for comparison  :pir_laugh2:

Flickr

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links