Sign in to follow this  
Derfel Cadarn

The Vintner & Blencathra

indexed.gif B-OV-33B & B-RV-15A

Hey guys,

Here are 2 recent builds to add to my collection of English country cottages and buildings. I have been promoting these for the last year on my job, as I travel around England as an events organizer, so I have managed to gain enough interest from clients to finally start selling these as commission pieces.

First we have 'The Vintner'

Built in the late 1400s and situated on Sheep Street, this wonderful timber-framed townhouse has been a vintner, or seller of wines, since the 1600s. Did the Great Bard of Stratford, William Shakespeare, purchase his wine here?

7139641811_cd29335693_z.jpg

6993542812_7d3d6b1c28_z.jpg

6993539224_be5035e3c8_z.jpg

This model is the first to built for commission and is a test design, the final version will have propper printed stickers with the name of the shop.

Next we have 'Blencathra'

Blencathra, Cumbria, North West.

Situated at the foot of Blencathra, Threlkeld's Old Mission Room was built in 1885 by the Keswick & District Christian Workers' Band using Lakeland slate rubble for the walls and green slate tiles.

7124253707_b811356cef_z.jpg

This model won't is just another one for the collection, im not that fond of it, mainly because I could have done so much more with the build, it should have had a roof built with dark bley 2x2 round tiles or sand green. However, if it ends up as a commission piece I will re-build it to a better standard.

Thanks for viewing

DC

There's so much to say about your builds that it's hard to know where to start, but your 'town' or civilian-themed builds are really my favourites among your work. These two are gorgeous, and the details are what makes them stand out - those great bases, the vines climbing the walls, the lampposts, that wonderful cart... and of course the colours you use. I'd really like it if Lego would release something this detailed. Out of curiosity, what do you plan on charging for these commission pieces? I know I'd love one myself (or on my shelf) - if I could afford it :)

Edited by L@go

Nothing short of fantastic. Your builds are so meticulously detailed! The stone work really caught my attention. It is always pleasure to see what you build and the interest you've received is well deserved. Top job default_classic.gif

Edited by Lego Guy Bri

AWESOME 'DC', wonderful additions to your collection.....you'll end up with one huge English village ! :grin:

You are such an unbelievable builder. The ideas you have are all great and exciting to see. Like the white 1x2 slotted bricks on the front of the first one give the building such texture. And of course your brilliant 1x1 round stacks. Then the walls and roof of the next one. Stunning. You Sir, are a genius. I could stare at your pictures for hours and always see something new.

Edited by Legocrazy81

Your builds are always amazing and very inspirational! The Vintner street lights are great, and so it the chimney with the greenery. Blencathra is also full of amazing details, such as the trolley with plants, and roof endings with cheese slopes. I'm really looking forward to see more of your work, it's so inspiring!

Wow, these are incredible! I own a couple of Lilliput Lane models and these put them to shame. Nice work.

Thanks for all your great comment :classic:

There's so much to say about your builds that it's hard to know where to start, but your 'town' or civilian-themed builds are really my favourites among your work. These two are gorgeous, and the details are what makes them stand out - those great bases, the vines climbing the walls, the lampposts, that wonderful cart... and of course the colours you use. I'd really like it if Lego would release something this detailed. Out of curiosity, what do you plan on charging for these commission pieces? I know I'd love one myself (or on my shelf) - if I could afford it :)

Theprice all depends on how cheap I can get the parts. Im not in it to rip people off, so if I get a parts cheaper then I charge a cheaper price. As I am just starting out, the only profit I make at the moment is the shipping charge, so basically I sell the moc at the exact same price as it costs to build, then I make a profit from the buyer paying for postage on top. This particular model has been sold for £90 which is how much it cost to get the pieces in. However, I could build it again and find that I might have to pay more next time, so another version might sell for £100. So it really all comes down to how much I pay for parts.

I am trying to push selling smaller models like Blencathra to start with, as they are cheaper and I can produce more.

However there will soon be lots to choose from.

These are based on the 'Lilliput Lane collectable minitures' so people can look at the list of Lilliput lane models, pick one they like and I will then build it in Lego for commission sales.

These are a few designs that I am working on which will soon be ready for sale:

ll467w_b.jpg

ll536w_b.jpg

12747_i1_lilliput-lane--ferry-cottage-d.jpg

I had a look through their catalogue, and while the designs are way too kitchy for my taste, I love your versions of them. I would have big problems choosing one from that catalogue if I were to order one from you. I bet the rescue station will look amazing when it's done. Keep up the good work! Maybe I'll buy one at some point :)

I have been looking at those amazing cottages/houses you have made so far. Just amazing! It is like those miniature house

models we can get from souvenir shops!

I would think the plinth itself takes up a decent amount of bricks/plates/tiles... :wacko:

Awesome stuff, Derfel Cadarn! You succeed to amaze me every time I check out you're new creations. :thumbup: As I said on Flickr, this new pare of buildings is very inspirational for me and they make me want to dive in my bricks again and build new stuff. I can look at your buildings for hours, being inspired. The overal structures are nice, but it's the details you manage to put into them like the overgrowing plants and flowers, the lamps, the specific structure of the walls or details on the roof. And I always like seemingly random things lying around, like buckets, cauldrons and a broom.

You already mentioned that you based your buildings on the Lilliput Lane models and since then I've taken a look at them quite a few times. They are perfect to base LEGO creations upon them. You manage to pull it of perfectly every time. I look forward to those new buildings you just posted. The second one is something I want to build, so thanks again for the inspiration!

I can't wait to see more in the near future! :wink: