Sign in to follow this  
mephistopheles

Can I make a locked topic?

Hi!

As a regular forum member can I make a locked topic? I would like to make a WIP topic for a huge MOC and want lock this topic so it will be easy to survey. I would add a link to another thread were you can comment on the original topic. Is this possible? How can I do this?

Thanks for your time!

No, but if you bothered a regulator/moderator politely and gave a good reason I'm sure they'd do it for you.

No, but if you bothered a regulator/moderator politely and gave a good reason I'm sure they'd do it for you.

Ok, thank you for the information. I'll contact the Historic regulator/moderator about this.

Why not just have one topic, and keep updating your original post with what you would have had in the locked topic? Apparently, when you edit a post, it does not go to the top of the forum topic list, so your locked topic would get buried, while your unlocked comment topic would not. Thus, the unlocked topic would be the one continuously seen, and would also need a link to your locked topic. Thus, I would consider a single topic to be preferable, and if you make the separate topics, a moderator might merge them anyway.

Why not just have one topic, and keep updating your original post with what you would have had in the locked topic? Apparently, when you edit a post, it does not go to the top of the forum topic list, so your locked topic would get buried, while your unlocked comment topic would not. Thus, the unlocked topic would be the one continuously seen, and would also need a link to your locked topic. Thus, I would consider a single topic to be preferable, and if you make the separate topics, a moderator might merge them anyway.

Is there a limit to the length of a post? I could edit the first post and than just write a "bump". I do no want comments between two updates, because it will be hard to see the progress. Especially since this 5x10 baseplate (32x32) project will take mora than a year to be finished.

I am not aware of any post length limit. Based on the length of these forums, both original posts and replies can be quite lengthy:

Guilds of Historia Information Thread and MOC Index

Challenge III- Treasure Hunt - Eurobricks Forums

Instead of just typing "bump," which might be considered spam, I would recommend typing "updated," possibly with a short description of the changes. That way, someone new to your topic can read everything in your original post, but those that have been following it can know what to look for as being different.

I do no want comments between two updates, because it will be hard to see the progress. Especially since this 5x10 baseplate (32x32) project will take mora than a year to be finished.

What about having one topic, and having people comment between your updates? Your first post could be a small index of updates for the topic. If there will be A LOT of updates, maybe index only major updates. The index in the first post could be a list of Linked Text or Thumb-links to your posts of progress. There's an example here.

What about having one topic, and having people comment between your updates? Your first post could be a small index of updates for the topic. If there will be A LOT of updates, maybe index only major updates. The index in the first post could be a list of Linked Text or Thumb-links to your posts of progress. There's an example here.

This seems like a very good idea! :thumbup:

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind!