Today I bring yet another relatively simple engine, a 2-4-2 saddletank locomotive. After my 8-wide Emerald Night I had plenty of leftover parts and wheels, and from what I had I knew I'd wanted to try and build a saddle tank. I did a lot of google searching to try and find inspiration and eventually stumbled on a site highlighting 3 logging engines similar to what i was looking to build. (I have since lost the site, I'll try to find it if anyone's interested) This engine isn't specifically based off of any of them, but much like the EN is more based on the spirit of several engines this one is also more "inspired by" than "a replica of".
Less ado with words, more pictures!
I used the same basic piston design as the EN, as I had it in mind to build the engines as a complimentary pair.
This engine is powered by one Power Functions M-Motor, which is geared down to the front (blind) drivers which power the flanged wheel via the connecting rods. I had a lot of worries about it's power capabilities since it essentially running off two drivers and doesn't carry the battery box on board, but was pleasantly surprised to discover that this little engine was powerful enough to pull a decent 5 cars (one of which carried a battery box and IR receiver, a heavy car for sure)
The engines this was based off of were wood-burning logging engines, and it was easy enough to build that. I have since decided that this engine will probably be working primarily in a forest area, if and when I get around to making an actual layout.
An unfortunately sparse cab, due both to not knowing how to work around the M-motor and being all around bad at cab details. This is the section I'm planning on revisiting sometime after my current project.
Size comparison with the 8-wide EN (Minus the tender, that wouldn't fit on my photo table).
I hope you've enjoyed looking at my "Columbian", as I hope you enjoy all my engines. This week I'm posting about a year's worth of work and it really has been a learning process the whole way; and I hope the progress shows! I've only got two more engines to post, in a day or two I shall post a 4-4-0 American engine and after an incoming Bricklink order (and some running gear tinkering I'm sure), my latest project which really pushed my limits!
Comments, questions, criticisms and suggestions are more than welcome! Good day to you all!
Edited by Daedalus304, 28 April 2012 - 09:29 AM.