Sebeus I

recoiling cannon

[pid][/pid] Cannons 3B

I have been experimenting with automated features for my pirateships again.

Quiting the pirate theme, what was I thinking :pir-tongue:

Check this out: :cannon:

I used spring bricks to throw back the cannons, much more realistic than a motor pulling them back (see my IR broadside cannons).

dsc06373.jpg

When cannons are in possition they would stick out by just one stud out of a ship's hull, I did some small builds and it is possible to integrate it in a captain greenhair's frigate, which would be awesome, combining cool features with that great shaping and historical accuracy.

dsc06375.jpg

dsc06376.jpg

With a motor I could push the cannons into place, I just need to design a construction that pushes and lets go so the springs can do their recoiling task :pir_laugh2:

Possibilities are limited though, I figured it's not worth the effort to install them in a ship because most of the time the cannon deck is covered so you'd see only the end of the cannon barrel, the recoiling effect would not be noticed.

Cannons also need space to recoil so you'll need a rather big ship, so far my only ship that is eligible is my Flying Dutchman but you can imagine I'm not so eager to break open that ship :jollyroger:

Besides I don't have enough of those spring pieces anyway.

However I think it's a great detail for land based mocs.

I can design a structure that pushes the cannons in place and then lets them go.

use a NEXT for that so you can add the sound effects you heared in the movie and there you go, sure would make a pirate layout that little bit more spectacular :pir-classic:

:cannon: (always wanted to use this "emoticon" )

That is fantastic! Great effect. Now if they could be reset remotely somehow so it could be done inside a ship's hull...

However I think it's a great detail for land based mocs.

I can design a structure that pushes the cannons in place and then lets them go.

use a NEXT for that so you can add the sound effects you heared in the movie and there you go, sure would make a pirate layout that little bit more spectacular :pir-classic:

Yes, yes, brilliant addition, don't forget the smoking machine! :pir-grin:

It would be easier to use gunpowder..

did anyone ever even think about trying that?

Bart

((turning a barrel out of steel on the lathe machine should be do-able))

Cool idea! I think it could be used in a ship. It would have to be implemented on an open deck ship though, otherwise it'd be a pain to reset I would think. Even if it was motorized you'd lose the effect. Still, maybe a gun brig or sloop would be nice... might have to look in to that :pir-classic: Clever as always Sebeus!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

Holy cow! You have some crazy engineering skills mate! I have no idea how you come up with all these great designs. Another use for this could be if you were making a vig or cross section much like you "Hello Beastie." That would be a very nice detail. I can't wait to see how you'll be incorporating this into your mocs.

Oh, and I'm glad to hear your not quitting the pirate theme. :pir_laugh2:

A small vent just in front of the cannons would work, but I'm not really ready to get myself a smoking machine :pir_laugh2:

It would be easier to use gunpowder..

did anyone ever even think about trying that?

Bart

((turning a barrel out of steel on the lathe machine should be do-able))

Maybe but automating it would be very difficult :pir_wacko: (get gunpowder in, cannonball, stamp it ? light it...)

Cool idea! I think it could be used in a ship. It would have to be implemented on an open deck ship though, otherwise it'd be a pain to reset I would think. Even if it was motorized you'd lose the effect. Still, maybe a gun brig or sloop would be nice... might have to look in to that :pir-classic: Clever as always Sebeus!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

I might try incorporating them into a smaller ship. Thanks

Holy cow! You have some crazy engineering skills mate! I have no idea how you come up with all these great designs. Another use for this could be if you were making a vig or cross section much like you "Hello Beastie." That would be a very nice detail. I can't wait to see how you'll be incorporating this into your mocs.

Oh, and I'm glad to hear your not quitting the pirate theme. :pir_laugh2:

A cross-section ? that is a good Idea, although the hold would be full of mechanics.

Yeah, I'm not quitting the pirate theme, I probably just had a weak moment :pir-sad2:

This is both relatively simple and brilliant. :pir-wub:

Though I am certain we may see this implemented in more than just ships, maybe some of the animation oriented builders could find a use for this.

That is pretty neat. You may want to slow down the rate of fire by spreading the guns out more, considering firing that fast would shake the ship to pieces. But anyway. great work! It would be pretty awesome to do this with a frigate.

So I saw this earlier and thought it was neat but I didn't have time to watch the video.

That's is just plain cool! I see your point about it being on a ship, but it sure is cool.

Very innovative!

This is so cool. I'm not really into pirates, but this was so cool. It really is a brilliant idea.

I'm sure it will be put into many ships and layouts to make them so much better. Great job, and maybe even improve upon it.

That would be great. :pir-classic:

Pretty neat, though I'd agree that it's probably only good for coastal battery/fort-type MOCs. A ship would be too cramped and the cannons would be covered by another deck while a fort would allow you fiddle with it a lot more easily.

What springs are those?

The spring element used is: http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2605c01

If a contraption like below was used, the design could be motorized, while keeping the spring action. This would also allow the cannons to recoil at different times, and is fairly compact, since a single contraption could be used to activate cannons on both sides. Although, I am not sure if it is strong enough.

0427022157.jpg

The spring element used is: http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2605c01

If a contraption like below was used, the design could be motorized, while keeping the spring action. This would also allow the cannons to recoil at different times, and is fairly compact, since a single contraption could be used to activate cannons on both sides. Although, I am not sure if it is strong enough.

0427022157.jpg

This is great, I was working on a construction to motorize it myself but this is much more elegant and compact :thumbup:

I'm going to try this right away, thank you very much!

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Very ingenious. Something to scare the hearts of the enemy for sure. I myself would use this technique in a fort.

as usualy, you are realiseing some ideas alot of us has been thinking of,

but ive already got an idea how to get it back in place,

you will simply just have to take the same technic that you did use in your motorized cannon slide system,

(just the ://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=41677 adn then you use it to slide it into the spring, when the little liftarm rotates beneath the cannon, the spring will launch it forwards, and by then the little liftarm, will slide the cannon into the spring again, (but i think you will have to chance it to a spring absorber insted, this one, FX http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=731c05,

i hope it makes sense to you,

This is great, I was working on a construction to motorize it myself but this is much more elegant and compact :thumbup:

I'm going to try this right away, thank you very much!

You are welcome. :classic:

as usualy, you are realiseing some ideas alot of us has been thinking of,

but ive already got an idea how to get it back in place,

you will simply just have to take the same technic that you did use in your motorized cannon slide system,

(just the ://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=41677 adn then you use it to slide it into the spring, when the little liftarm rotates beneath the cannon, the spring will launch it forwards, and by then the little liftarm, will slide the cannon into the spring again, (but i think you will have to chance it to a spring absorber insted, this one, FX http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=731c05,

i hope it makes sense to you,

That spring absorber is too long and too strong, my cannons need to stay IN the ship you know :pir_laugh2:

At first I was working on the technic of my IR cannons but this other idea Timecruiser showed is more interesting as it is more compact and might even work .better

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum