Jump to content


recoiling cannon


  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic  – Started by Sebeus I , Apr 26 2012 07:21 PM

#1 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!


    Posts: 1477
    Joined: 04-September 08
    Member: 3891
    Country: Belgium

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

Cannons 3B

I have been experimenting with automated features for my pirateships again.
Quiting the pirate theme, what was I thinking  :pir-tongue:

Check this out:  :cannon:



I used spring bricks to throw back the cannons, much more realistic than a motor pulling them back (see my IR broadside cannons).

Posted Image

When cannons are in possition they would stick out by just one stud out of a ship's hull, I did some small builds and it is possible to integrate it in a captain greenhair's frigate, which would be awesome, combining cool features with that great shaping and historical accuracy.

Posted Image
Posted Image

With a motor I could push the cannons into place, I just need to design a construction that pushes and lets go so the springs can do their recoiling task  :pir_laugh2:
Possibilities are limited though, I figured it's not worth the effort to install them in a ship because most of the time the cannon deck is covered so you'd see only the end of the cannon barrel, the recoiling effect would not be noticed.
Cannons also need space to recoil so you'll need a rather big ship, so far my only ship that is eligible is my Flying Dutchman but you can imagine I'm not so eager to break open that ship  :jollyroger:
Besides I don't have enough of those spring pieces anyway.
However I think it's a great detail for land based mocs.
I can design a structure that pushes the cannons in place and then lets them go.
use a NEXT for that so you can add the sound effects you heared in the movie and there you go, sure would make a pirate layout that little bit more spectacular  :pir-classic:

:cannon: (always wanted to use this "emoticon" )

#2 tedbeard

tedbeard

    Posts: 1135
    Joined: 16-August 06
    Member: 905
    Country: Canada

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

That is fantastic! Great effect. Now if they could be reset remotely somehow so it could be done inside a ship's hull...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Commander Red Hat

Commander Red Hat
  • Leader of the Redcoats!


    Posts: 5445
    Joined: 26-August 07
    Member: 1914
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

View PostSebeus Iniwum, on 26 April 2012 - 07:21 PM, said:


However I think it's a great detail for land based mocs.
I can design a structure that pushes the cannons in place and then lets them go.
use a NEXT for that so you can add the sound effects you heared in the movie and there you go, sure would make a pirate layout that little bit more spectacular :pir-classic:

Yes, yes, brilliant addition, don't forget the smoking machine! :pir-grin:
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#4 Bart

Bart

    Posts: 306
    Joined: 27-January 11
    Member: 15679
    Country: the Netherlands

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

View PostCaptain Green Hair, on 26 April 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

Yes, yes, brilliant addition, don't forget the smoking machine! :pir-grin:

It would be easier to use gunpowder..

did anyone ever even think about trying that?

Bart


((turning a barrel out of steel on the lathe machine should be do-able))

Dus

my photos

#5 Dread Pirate Wesley

Dread Pirate Wesley

    Posts: 175
    Joined: 21-August 09
    Member: 7124

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:11 AM

Cool idea!  I think it could be used in a ship.  It would have to be implemented on an open deck ship though, otherwise it'd be a pain to reset I would think.  Even if it was motorized you'd lose the effect.  Still, maybe a gun brig or sloop would be nice... might have to look in to that  :pir-classic: Clever as always Sebeus!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley
"You see, no one would surrender to the Dread Pirate Wesley..."

Flickr

Posted Image

Persephone                           The Pickle


#6 Ben King

Ben King

    Posts: 33
    Joined: 21-April 12
    Member: 28107
    Country: America

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Holy cow! You have some crazy engineering skills mate! I have no idea how you come up with all these great designs. Another use for this could be if you were making a vig or cross section much like you "Hello Beastie." That would be a very nice detail. I can't wait to see how you'll be incorporating this into your mocs.
Oh, and I'm glad to hear your not quitting the pirate theme. :pir_laugh2:

#7 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!


    Posts: 1477
    Joined: 04-September 08
    Member: 3891
    Country: Belgium

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

View PostCaptain Green Hair, on 26 April 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

Yes, yes, brilliant addition, don't forget the smoking machine! :pir-grin:
A small vent just in front of the cannons would work, but I'm not really ready to get myself a smoking machine  :pir_laugh2:

View PostBart, on 26 April 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

It would be easier to use gunpowder..

did anyone ever even think about trying that?

Bart

((turning a barrel out of steel on the lathe machine should be do-able))
Maybe but automating it would be very difficult  :pir_wacko:  (get gunpowder in, cannonball, stamp it ? light it...)

View PostDread Pirate Wesley, on 27 April 2012 - 04:11 AM, said:

Cool idea!  I think it could be used in a ship.  It would have to be implemented on an open deck ship though, otherwise it'd be a pain to reset I would think.  Even if it was motorized you'd lose the effect.  Still, maybe a gun brig or sloop would be nice... might have to look in to that  :pir-classic: Clever as always Sebeus!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley
I might try incorporating them into a smaller ship. Thanks

View PostBen King, on 27 April 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

Holy cow! You have some crazy engineering skills mate! I have no idea how you come up with all these great designs. Another use for this could be if you were making a vig or cross section much like you "Hello Beastie." That would be a very nice detail. I can't wait to see how you'll be incorporating this into your mocs.
Oh, and I'm glad to hear your not quitting the pirate theme. :pir_laugh2:

A cross-section ? that is a good Idea, although the hold would be full of mechanics.
Yeah, I'm not quitting the pirate theme, I probably just had a weak moment  :pir-sad2:

#8 TheCrimsonTrooper

TheCrimsonTrooper

    Posts: 199
    Joined: 13-February 10
    Member: 9550
    Country: United States

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

This is both relatively simple and brilliant.  :pir-wub:

Though I am certain we may see this implemented in more than just ships, maybe some of the animation oriented builders could find a use for this.
Posted Image Currently massing armies and gathering parts to defeat other college Lego enthusiasts in Brickwars.

#9 Walter

Walter
  • Back, but still drowning!


    Posts: 743
    Joined: 17-February 11
    Member: 16053
    Country: USA

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Epic!

That's all I can really say.  :pir_laugh2:
Posted Image

#10 halfpenguinhalflego

halfpenguinhalflego

    Posts: 820
    Joined: 18-June 09
    Member: 6437
    Country: United Kingdom

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

Another great idea by Sebeus!
:jollyroger:
My FlickrPosted Image Posted Image  Posted Image

#11 Captain Blackbeard

Captain Blackbeard

    Posts: 81
    Joined: 01-January 12
    Member: 23709
    Country: New Zealand

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

That is pretty neat. You may want to slow down the rate of fire by spreading the guns out more, considering firing that fast would shake the ship to pieces. But anyway. great work! It would be pretty awesome to do this with a frigate.
Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you

#12 Big Cam

Big Cam
  • A good mood, too.


    Posts: 13999
    Joined: 02-April 09
    Member: 5701
    Country: USA

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

So I saw this earlier and thought it was neat but I didn't have time to watch the video.

That's is just plain cool! I see your point about it being on a ship, but it sure is cool.

Very innovative!

#13 SNIPE

SNIPE

    Posts: 911
    Joined: 21-March 11
    Member: 16759
    Country: United Kingdom

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:38 AM

What springs are those?

#14 The Blue Brick

The Blue Brick

    Posts: 1179
    Joined: 01-July 11
    Member: 18793
    Country: United States

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:29 AM

This is so cool. I'm not really into pirates, but this was so cool. It really is a brilliant idea.

I'm sure it will be put into many ships and layouts to make them so much better. Great job, and maybe even improve upon it.

That would be great.  :pir-classic:

#15 Super General Koopa

Super General Koopa

    Posts: 42
    Joined: 24-April 12
    Member: 28165
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:40 AM

Holy Cow! I've never seen lego objects move so similar to their real-world counterparts! Keep it up!
Super General Koopa

#16 Strand

Strand

    Posts: 270
    Joined: 02-July 09
    Member: 6557
    Country: Australia

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:18 AM

Pretty neat, though I'd agree that it's probably only good for coastal battery/fort-type MOCs. A ship would be too cramped and the cannons would be covered by another deck while a fort would allow you fiddle with it a lot more easily.

#17 TimeCruiser

TimeCruiser
  • The problem solver


    Posts: 131
    Joined: 22-April 12
    Member: 28112
    Country: USA

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:19 AM

View PostSNIPE, on 28 April 2012 - 12:38 AM, said:

What springs are those?
The spring element used is: http://www.peeron.co...v/parts/2605c01

If a contraption like below was used, the design could be motorized, while keeping the spring action.  This would also allow the cannons to recoil at different times, and is fairly compact, since a single contraption could be used to activate cannons on both sides.  Although, I am not sure if it is strong enough.  

Posted Image

#18 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!


    Posts: 1477
    Joined: 04-September 08
    Member: 3891
    Country: Belgium

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

View PostTimeCruiser, on 28 April 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

The spring element used is: http://www.peeron.co...v/parts/2605c01

If a contraption like below was used, the design could be motorized, while keeping the spring action.  This would also allow the cannons to recoil at different times, and is fairly compact, since a single contraption could be used to activate cannons on both sides.  Although, I am not sure if it is strong enough.  

Posted Image
This is great, I was working on a construction to motorize it myself but this is much more elegant and compact  :thumbup:
I'm going to try this right away, thank you very much!

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum, 28 April 2012 - 11:33 AM.


#19 Sir E Fullner

Sir E Fullner
  • The Admiral's croissants smell delicious!


    Posts: 561
    Joined: 04-September 09
    Member: 7307
    Country: United States

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

Very ingenious. Something to scare the hearts of the enemy for sure. I myself would use this technique in a fort.

My MOCPage Ett. FullnerMy Brickshelf

Eat yer spinach, kiddies! However, don't forget the fish.
Posted Image


#20 Morthen

Morthen

    Posts: 155
    Joined: 23-April 12
    Member: 28153
    Country: Denmark

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

as usualy, you are realiseing some ideas alot of us has been thinking of,
but ive already got an idea how to get it back in place,
you will simply just have to take the same technic that you did use in your motorized cannon slide system,
(just the ://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=41677 adn then you use it to slide it into the spring, when the little liftarm rotates beneath the cannon, the spring will launch it forwards, and by then the little liftarm, will slide the cannon into the spring again, (but i think you will have to chance it to a spring absorber insted, this one, FX http://www.bricklink...em.asp?P=731c05,
i hope it makes sense to you,

First Ship Ever, with RC cannons and hatches. The Golden Whale
Check her out yourself.  Pirates Rule The Sea's   
   Posted Image
  My Mocpages


#21 TimeCruiser

TimeCruiser
  • The problem solver


    Posts: 131
    Joined: 22-April 12
    Member: 28112
    Country: USA

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:29 AM

View PostSebeus Iniwum, on 28 April 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

This is great, I was working on a construction to motorize it myself but this is much more elegant and compact  :thumbup:
I'm going to try this right away, thank you very much!
You are welcome.  :classic:

#22 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!


    Posts: 1477
    Joined: 04-September 08
    Member: 3891
    Country: Belgium

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

View PostMorthen, on 28 April 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

as usualy, you are realiseing some ideas alot of us has been thinking of,
but ive already got an idea how to get it back in place,
you will simply just have to take the same technic that you did use in your motorized cannon slide system,
(just the ://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=41677 adn then you use it to slide it into the spring, when the little liftarm rotates beneath the cannon, the spring will launch it forwards, and by then the little liftarm, will slide the cannon into the spring again, (but i think you will have to chance it to a spring absorber insted, this one, FX http://www.bricklink...em.asp?P=731c05,
i hope it makes sense to you,
That spring absorber is too long and too strong, my cannons need to stay IN the ship you know  :pir_laugh2:
At first I was working on the technic of my IR cannons but this other idea Timecruiser showed is more interesting as it is more compact and might even work .better

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum, 29 April 2012 - 10:00 AM.


#23 KristofBD

KristofBD

    Posts: 562
    Joined: 01-June 09
    Member: 6258
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Very clever!  The result is quite impressive I must say!
Trouble is brewing...
                                                           Posted Image

#24 Hiawatha

Hiawatha

    Posts: 555
    Joined: 17-September 11
    Member: 20480
    Country: United States

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

Excellent effect! Thanks for including the video.

Posted Image Posted Image

My Brickshelf


View Postefullner, on 06 October 2011 - 12:28 AM, said:

I can figure what Dey will say when he meets with Hiawatha.

Hiya, Watha!

#25 CaptainBermuda

CaptainBermuda

    Posts: 159
    Joined: 12-June 11
    Member: 18415

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

Oh, wow I just love all of your boat mechanics.  :pir-cry_happy: someday you should make a massive boat with all of your techniques.
"Men, we led those dumb bugs out to the middle of nowhere to keep 'em from gettin' their filthy claws on Earth... but we stumbled onto somethin' they're so hot for, that they're scramblin' over each other to get it! Well, I don't care if it's God's own personal anti-S.O.B. machine, or a giant hoola hoop, we're not gonna let 'em have it! What we WILL let 'em have is a belly full of lead, and a pool of their own blood to drown in! Am... I... RIGHT, Marines?!" - Sergeant Johnson




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links