Sign in to follow this  
lego leppy

ordering old boats

I recently came out of my dark ages when my parents unloaded my old Legos, including the Red Beard Runner and a ton of my old castle sets. Now my fleet consists of RBR, QAR, IF, & BP. I would like to add more ships to my fleet. Through Brinkset I found this site and Brinklink. My question is it safe to order from them? There are sets on there for more than half of the price on Amazon and Ebay. I am not looking to make an investment, I simply want the all the pieces in good shape and preferably the directions. What can you, the experts, recommend to someone like me? I love all the MOCs on here!! That is my goal this summer.

Absolutely, Bricklink is a very well know site among LEGO enthusiasts.

Like any site, it will do you good to review the ratings of the selling, like any site you are going to have your bad apples, but I think most people here will recommend bricklink over ebay, and amazon always has ridiculously overpriced sets.

Something to note, bricklink is actually all individual people like you and me. Think of it as an ebay for only LEGO.

Welcome to the forum, feel free to make an intro thread here, I look forward to seeing you around!

Thanks, I've added to the new people section. I think I will dabble at Brinklink, I need to get some more ships. Of the older ones, which do people prefer? I know that's a hard question to answer. Let's say if price is no object, which do people prefer to simply build and enjoy?

Thanks, I've added to the new people section. I think I will dabble at Brinklink, I need to get some more ships. Of the older ones, which do people prefer? I know that's a hard question to answer. Let's say if price is no object, which do people prefer to simply build and enjoy?

Black Seas barracuda, it's loved since it's the origingal "big" Pirate ship, and all around awesome ship, plus I have one.

6285-1.jpg

Caribbean Clipper, Released within the same series as the BSB, this smaller set, is also an instant favorite, I don't have one, but I wish I did.

6274-1.jpg

The original Implerial Flagship, small but another classic.

6271-1.jpg

Lastly, this guy is pretty new but it was recently discontinued and is going up in price. I am personally kicking myself for not getting one.

10210-1.jpg?2

These are just my personal opinions, you'll get many more I'm sure.

Skull Eye Schooner, my personal favorite, love it since I was a child. I don't have one yet, still looking for a good price :P

6286_ses.jpg

(I didn't took this image, just did a little search on google, it's used just for ilustrative means, hope there's no trouble in that)

Edited by Yawgmoth

I second the recommendation for the Black Seas Barracuda, its a GREAT pirate ship (I own the 10040 reissue and I had the original version as a kid that I got for learning to ride my bike) and a great source of ship parts. (one of these days I will take my BSB parts and build that Space pirate ship I have always wanted to build, the Black Star Barracuda)

I second the recommendation for the Black Seas Barracuda, its a GREAT pirate ship (I own the 10040 reissue and I had the original version as a kid that I got for learning to ride my bike) and a great source of ship parts. (one of these days I will take my BSB parts and build that Space pirate ship I have always wanted to build, the Black Star Barracuda)

yes, seconded as well! But you know that you can order individual pieces on Bricklink as well, don't you? Because if you want to make MOCs it might be a cheaper and better investment to directly order certain bricks you want to use in a MOC rather than buying complete sets (that apart from the BSB, this grand old lady that is a must-buy :pir-wub: )

A word of warning: I own a Carribean Clipper which I bought in 1989, and even though it's been kept in a sealed container, some of the parts have perished: the blue flaps over the cannon holes and the clip on flags at the top of the masts. They've completely lost their spring and become brittle. So something to watch out for when buying sets from that era. I hope Lego have improved their plastic formulation since.

Thank for all the responses, I pulled the cannon on the BSB from Bricklink. Not sure what a "good" price but I paid under $150 and it looks nice. I'm happy and I'll be happy when it gets here!

Thank for all the responses, I pulled the cannon on the BSB from Bricklink. Not sure what a "good" price but I paid under $150 and it looks nice. I'm happy and I'll be happy when it gets here!

If it's the original one from back in 1989 and it's complete, I'd say that's a great price. It was a $100 ship back then.

Lastly, this guy is pretty new but it was recently discontinued and is going up in price. I am personally kicking myself for not getting one.

10210-1.jpg?2

I got QAR instead of it in 2010, even though I had money spare to get it. Now I can't even look at it without feeling regret :pir_bawling: .

I got QAR instead of it in 2010, even though I had money spare to get it. Now I can't even look at it without feeling regret :pir_bawling: .

That's odd since the QAR didn't come out until 2011. :pir-sceptic:

That's odd since the QAR didn't come out until 2011. :pir-sceptic:

Might of been 2011, I just remember thinking I should get a pirate ship first. Oh how I regret it.

Through Brinkset I found this site and Brinklink. My question is it safe to order from them? There are sets on there for more than half of the price on Amazon and Ebay

Through Brinkset I found this site and Brinklink. My question is it safe to order from them? There are sets on there for more than half of the price on Amazon and Ebay

I can say from my one experience, yes it is. That was my concern too but I think if you read the sellers bio you should be ok. I am already looking for my next ship to add to my fleet!

PS--good use of cut and paste from my original post.

yes, seconded as well! But you know that you can order individual pieces on Bricklink as well, don't you? Because if you want to make MOCs it might be a cheaper and better investment to directly order certain bricks you want to use in a MOC rather than buying complete sets (that apart from the BSB, this grand old lady that is a must-buy :pir-wub: )

Buying piece-meal can cost you in shipping fees, but if you just want to rebuild classic ships this might be your better option. If you are worried about knowing which parts to buy, join Peeron.com. This site has scans of original instructions and parts lists.

A word of warning: I own a Carribean Clipper which I bought in 1989, and even though it's been kept in a sealed container, some of the parts have perished: the blue flaps over the cannon holes and the clip on flags at the top of the masts. They've completely lost their spring and become brittle. So something to watch out for when buying sets from that era. I hope Lego have improved their plastic formulation since.

Yes, parts from original sets from the early years of Pirates may have degraded over time. But fortunately many of the parts are still produced and are made of better quality ABS. Buying piece-meal you can avoid the degraded parts issue.

Some original printed parts, such as flags and sails, aren't being produced anymore, but there are sellers on Bricklink that produce stickers and waterslide decals of original prints (and modified versions in colors that never existed in the original line) and custom cloth sails. If you go this route, you might want to check out some tutorials on how to remove unwanted prints from bricks. (I recommend Brasso tarnish remover.) You can buy parts with printing issues, ie. scratches, or completely un-related prints for relatively low cost.

I hope this helps you build your fleet.