Hi from USA!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mebesquee

mebesquee

Member: 28176

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

Hi everyone.  I have been searching out for a good LEGO forum and think I found a good active one.  Glad to be here.

A little info about me if you care...

As a kid, I probably only ever owned about 25 bricks.  Yes, 25.  They were too expensive for my parents to buy but now that I am grown and can afford them, I am getting to play like I wished I could as a kid.  I picked up a few sets and brick tubs but don't really have enough to build anything but rainbow for now.  I have read cover to cover 2 books on LEGO and am starting to read the Unofficial Builder's Guide.  I think I am at that point where I have bricks but don't know where to begin on building.  Any ideas on how to jump-start my building?

Also, I am going to be at a Grand Opening for a LEGO store near my town I grew up in this weekend.  What should I buy if my budget is around $100 (US)?  I was thinking a couple "pick-a-brick" cups and probably a Marvel set in preparation for the movie.

Thanks for reading.

#2 TimeCruiser

TimeCruiser

• The problem solver

Member: 28112

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

Welcome!

Only 25 bricks...  *huh*  ...well, that is still potentially millions of possibilities, depending on the actual pieces. :grin:

One option to jump-start your building is to use the free LEGO Digital Designer program to build virtually, so that you are not limited by the size of your collection.

Pick-a-brick cups are generally a good deal, with the larger size a slightly better price; but for a grand opening there is the potential of demand being greater than immediate supply, or other problems caused by crowds.  I would recommend that you get to the store fairly early, on Saturday, and spend at least $35, so that you can get set #3300003 for free.  (There is a topic in The Embassy forum that has more information about it.)

#3 TimH

TimH

Member: 27781

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

Welcome to Eurobricks.  :thumbup:

#4 mebesquee

mebesquee

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:45 AM

View PostTimeCruiser, on 25 April 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

Welcome!

Only 25 bricks...  *huh*  ...well, that is still potentially millions of possibilities, depending on the actual pieces. :grin:

One option to jump-start your building is to use the free LEGO Digital Designer program to build virtually, so that you are not limited by the size of your collection.

Pick-a-brick cups are generally a good deal, with the larger size a slightly better price; but for a grand opening there is the potential of demand being greater than immediate supply, or other problems caused by crowds.  I would recommend that you get to the store fairly early, on Saturday, and spend at least $35, so that you can get set #3300003 for free.  (There is a topic in The Embassy forum that has more information about it.)
Thanks for the advice.  And yes, I made due but obviously it was a lot of "oh a duck, oh a different color duck, etc.".

#5 TimeCruiser

TimeCruiser

• The problem solver

Member: 28112

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:13 AM

View Postmebesquee, on 26 April 2012 - 12:45 AM, said:

Thanks for the advice.  And yes, I made due but obviously it was a lot of "oh a duck, oh a different color duck, etc.".
You're welcome.  Next, a goose should be built...  :laugh:

#6 Flipz

Flipz

• Treason didn't work for him

Member: 22657

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:22 AM

View Postmebesquee, on 25 April 2012 - 02:45 AM, said:

Hi everyone.  I have been searching out for a good LEGO forum and think I found a good active one.  Glad to be here.

A little info about me if you care...

As a kid, I probably only ever owned about 25 bricks.  Yes, 25.  They were too expensive for my parents to buy but now that I am grown and can afford them, I am getting to play like I wished I could as a kid.  I picked up a few sets and brick tubs but don't really have enough to build anything but rainbow for now.  I have read cover to cover 2 books on LEGO and am starting to read the Unofficial Builder's Guide.  I think I am at that point where I have bricks but don't know where to begin on building.  Any ideas on how to jump-start my building?

Also, I am going to be at a Grand Opening for a LEGO store near my town I grew up in this weekend.  What should I buy if my budget is around $100 (US)?  I was thinking a couple "pick-a-brick" cups and probably a Marvel set in preparation for the movie.

Thanks for reading.

Try and make it on the first day, if you do you'll get a free "LEGO Store" set with that purchase.  In addition to what you listed, I also recommend picking up a few of the Collectible Series 7 minifigs--they are DEFINITELY worth the cost. :wink: .  Which store opening are you going to, if you don't mind me asking?

Is probably depressed.  Real life sucks, yo.

[Heroica Stats]

#7 The Blue Brick

The Blue Brick

Member: 18793

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:57 AM

Welcome to Eurobricks.  :classic:

#8 mebesquee

mebesquee

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

View PostFlipz, on 26 April 2012 - 01:22 AM, said:

Try and make it on the first day, if you do you'll get a free "LEGO Store" set with that purchase.  In addition to what you listed, I also recommend picking up a few of the Collectible Series 7 minifigs--they are DEFINITELY worth the cost. :wink: .  Which store opening are you going to, if you don't mind me asking?
Nashville, TN

#9 aztec59

aztec59

Member: 27636

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

hi:
in the "unoffical guide.... " that you mentioned there is a
nice model of the space shuttle, that you can build for starters, i did and i really enjoyed it.

Welcome(but  :laugh: i am as new as you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users