Electric traffic lights for the railway

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AlexC

AlexC

Member: 27359

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:39 AM

Guys,

I am trying to build an electric traffic light for my railway. For that purpose I will use two Electric, Light Brick 1 x 2 with Single Side Light (6035)and one Trans-Green Brick 1 x 2 without Bottom Tube (3065)and one Trans-Red Brick 1 x 2 without Bottom Tube (3065).

Does anyone built anything similar? If yes, could you please provide me with some building instructions or advises? Particularly I wonder how to switch lights if want to have only one battery box connected to both lights? I assume they should be connected through a sort of switch. Does anyone aware of that switch p/n?

Alternatively, if you could recommend any other ways to construct a traffic light I also will appreciate it.

Best regards,
Alex

#2 DLuders

DLuders

• Technic Technician

Member: 7868

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:49 AM

@ AlexC:  Welcome to Eurobricks!   :classic:   Have you seen this LEGO 7867 12v Train Light Post Set Parts instructions page?  Is this the type of light you want?

Posted Image

#3 dhc6twinotter

dhc6twinotter

Member: 10485

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:00 AM

Alex,

Since you are using old 9V stuff, I would suggest using the old polarity switch with old 9V wires:
Posted Image

You could also use the newer PF polarity switch, but you would need some PF converter cables:
Posted Image

You would have to use 1 switch per light.  

If you wanted to get all fancy, you could buy a cheap RCX off bricklink to control your lights.   You might even be able to program it in with other track functions.   Some of the RCX's have a power plug so you don't have to use batteries.

Edited by dhc6twinotter, 23 April 2012 - 03:06 AM.

#4 DLuders

DLuders

• Technic Technician

Member: 7868

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:15 AM

@ AlexC:  Are you wanting to build something like Bill Ward's Four-Track Signal Gantry, except with LED lights in the signal faces?

Posted Image

#5 AlexC

AlexC

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

View PostDLuders, on 23 April 2012 - 03:15 AM, said:

@ AlexC:  Are you wanting to build something like Bill Ward's Four-Track Signal Gantry[/url], except with LED lights in the signal faces?

DLuders, thank you for your help. Four-Track Signal Gantry is probably too fance for me, but the idea is similar.
Also thanks for the Train light posts, at least i will use the set to build something similar.

View Postdhc6twinotter, on 23 April 2012 - 03:00 AM, said:

Alex,

Since you are using old 9V stuff, I would suggest using the old polarity switch with old 9V wires:

You could also use the newer PF polarity switch, but you would need some PF converter cables:

You would have to use 1 switch per light.  

If you wanted to get all fancy, you could buy a cheap RCX off bricklink to control your lights.   You might even be able to program it in with other track functions.   Some of the RCX's have a power plug so you don't have to use batteries.

dhc6twinotter, actually I want something with RCX to avoid alot of polarity switches.
Do you have any particular examples with RXC?

#6 JopieK

JopieK

• Kneecap Buster

Member: 1180

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

It will not be very efficient to use an RCX and (just) LEGO...

I use both RCX and NXT in education so I know quite something about them. You might of course try to do some electronics tricks with it, but a better solution is using e.g. the Arduino. Did you also want to make a block system for controlling the trains?!

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help?Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted Image

-== Classic LEGO trains are the best ==-

Do you need replacement stickers for LEGO (reproductions and customs): ministickers.nl

What then about the LEGuanO?!

#7 dhc6twinotter

dhc6twinotter

Member: 10485

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

View PostAlexC, on 23 April 2012 - 05:45 AM, said:

dhc6twinotter, actually I want something with RCX to avoid alot of polarity switches.
Do you have any particular examples with RXC?

Sorry, I don't have any pictures or examples of electric traffic lights.   There is a LUG that travels around to some of the shows in the States, and they have a large train layout with RCX controlled bridges and train crossings.  The train crossings use the old 9V flashing lights and a micro motor to open/close the gate.  

I think the train layout will be at BrickMagic in a month.  If you like, I can try to get more info on their layout when I see it.

Edited by dhc6twinotter, 23 April 2012 - 08:31 PM.

#8 AlexC

AlexC

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:44 AM

View PostJopieK, on 23 April 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

It will not be very efficient to use an RCX and (just) LEGO...

I use both RCX and NXT in education so I know quite something about them. You might of course try to do some electronics tricks with it, but a better solution is using e.g. the Arduino. Did you also want to make a block system for controlling the trains?!

Hi JopieK,

I think using something like Arduino is too much for me. May be you could give me some advises about RCX and NXT? I am not planning (so far) to make a block system for controlling trains as my trains are RC.

View Postdhc6twinotter, on 23 April 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

Sorry, I don't have any pictures or examples of electric traffic lights.   There is a LUG that travels around to some of the shows in the States, and they have a large train layout with RCX controlled bridges and train crossings.  The train crossings use the old 9V flashing lights and a micro motor to open/close the gate.  

I think the train layout will be at BrickMagic in a month.  If you like, I can try to get more info on their layout when I see it.

dhc6twinotter, I will appreciate if you could make some photos of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users