Professional building instruction available here : http://www.eurobrick...25#entry1547610
You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Some pics on my flickR :
And on my Brickshelf : http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=501880
And the video :
My latest project is complete. So, it is time to present it here.
I was thinking on this project for more or less 2 years.
I really started to work on it in February 2012.
I began to do the legs because the where IMO the most tricky part. There are several features I wanted to achieve with these legs :
- not thick but as thin as possible
- use of SW printed dish (6L and 4L)
- hinged legs (on the knees, but also on the "hips")
- good round shape on the "hips"
I finally succeeded to include all of that. And it was not an easy task.
I designed the legs with real bricks.
The feet are the same than those on the AT-TE( ).
Actually, I think that the feet of a real AT-AT are VERY ugly. So, I really wanted to make them a bit different from how they were supposed to be. I added some details on them, and made them just a little bigger. It make the whole vehicle more impressive IMO. And inconsciouly, the legs appears to be thinner.
Using 6L dishes on the "hips" defines the size of the model. And I knew that this size was the correct size to include minifgs later. :)
To design the chassis, I mainly used LDD. It had to be strong, with a Technic structure (studful and studless).
Here, you can only see the studless part. The studful chassis parts are actually higher. Studful parts are used to make the floor strong.
Given that I pulled my Executor appart ( http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=45924 ), I had a lot of gray parts. So, I progessed quickly.
Then, I did the panel of the boby.
That was pretty easy. Well... not that easy. But not that hard.
Indeed, there are few constraints involved in the panel, both regarding the build (only plates) and the stifness (not much weight involved).
The only tricky part can be to find the way to attach the panels. Cause sometime, the angle is pretty uncommon.
And then, I did the head. That was hard. Cause the shape has to be accurate (that's the minimum for an UCS), it had to be hinged on the neck, and I also wanted to includ minifigs (2 pilots + Veers). There was very little room to includ the minifigs. But in the end, it works ! :)
I know that the angle on the "face" is not perfect. But to make a 6 stud high head, I don't have much choice. I'm compelled to use the 3x6 wings. :/
Well, it is not such a big deal.
And I kept the best for the end. ^^
I did the whole interior in the body. I tried to be as accurate as possible. I did some redesign, though.
I put only 1 ladder on 1 side, instead of 2 on the real model. That way, I have seats nearly all around the floors. It think it is better that way.
There is also no passage between the neck and the body. Indeed, that would have removed seats again. And I did not want that. So, I redesigned the interior for it to look as good as possible for a Lego model.
I think the sand blue work pretty well here.
The side panels are attach with 4 studs each. The top panels (on the body but also on the head) just lay on other Lego bricks. It's enough.
Then, I thought that it could be very fun to put a small snowspeeder next to the AT-AT.
I experienced some difficulties to make it small enough for it to fit well with the AT-AT.
The main thing I wanted for it was that minifigs could seat in it. It also had to have a decent amount of details for the size.
That was my first version :
It was good, but too big. Way too big. The wings are 19 studs long. The ship is also too wide for the AT-AT.
I tried to make it smaller :
I tried a different approach for the cockpit on LDD. And I finally made it.
It is small enough (well, this time I can not make it smaller !), and 1 minifig can seat in it.
Yes, only 1 (or 2 without helmet). That is what I call "compromise".
1 minifig for such a small Snowspeeder is still good IMO.
You may find the roof odd because it is curved. That was definitely what I thought too at the beginning. With the time, I get used to it. And this fun shape on the roof is now ok for me on a cute snowspeeder. ^^
Moreover, the windscreen is made out of only 3 parts (2 trans-black, 1 white), so it is strong and easily removable. :)
It is attached with 4 studs.
The model stands very well on the 2 trans-clear supports.
I must say that I really like this small snowspeeder. It is cute and fairly detailled.
And the last thing, the UCS display card :
HD sticker : http://www.brickshel...T12/sticker.jpg
In the end, about 3,000 parts and 9 minifigs.
Professionnal instruction will be done. One day...
Thanks for reading.
Edited by Anio, 20 March 2013 - 10:53 PM.