Valholl Training grounds

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Blaze

Blaze

Member: 25743

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

I made this one in less than two hours. The build itself isn't great, I just wanted to play around with the different face expressions of the minifigs.

Posted Image

The overall view.

Posted Image

The general doesn't seem to be very pleased with the new load of soldiers-to-be.

Posted Image

One of the instructors. Also not very pleased so it seems.

Posted Image

"LOWER! HURRY UP! YOU'RE DOING IT COM-PLET-ELY WRONG!!"

Posted Image

"Yes, great swing." Motivation is maybe the best way to train. Unfortunately only one of the trainers agrees with that.

This is my first entry to the Mitgardian mini challenge, where we have to build a moc for the army in Valholl (a wall/sentry/trebuchet, anything goes). Does anyone has some advice on making a better baseplate? I think mine is way too boring and plain, but I don't really have a clue how to improve it..

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Tazmaniac, 21 April 2012 - 01:41 PM.
Fixed title

Virgil Faust, Captain of the Northern Rangersfrom Mitgardia
Member of the Cold Circle

Posted Image

#2 Balthasar

Balthasar

• Nocturnus Cartographer

Member: 24144

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Making bare ground more interesting usualy comes down to using à lot of plates. Preferably smaller ones, like 1x2. Take à look at derfels guide and SoTs creations on how they have done it. Also some foilage would be appropriate, trees, plants. You could even use some snow. Your challenge entry already had landscaping then this one. Lets see what you can come up with!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Count Balthasar Nero of the Nocturnus Guild ~ embassy in Mitgardia ~ interactive map of the Eastern Darklands

#3 Blaze

Blaze

Member: 25743

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

Yes, but in my challenge three entry, the terrain was easier to detail imo. Snow, caves, forest etc are all rather easy to make it more complex. In a city is is way harder (or at least, for me), also because I don't have an unlimited amount of tiles like some other builders.

I'll try to come up with some pathwork or something in my next build, maybe that will add enough texture.
Virgil Faust, Captain of the Northern Rangersfrom Mitgardia
Member of the Cold Circle

Posted Image

#4 NiceMarmot

NiceMarmot

• Constellation Encyclopedia

Member: 14945

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

Just add some scattered smaller plates on the ground, in tan, dark tan, and reddish brown, to give it a bit more texture. Like 1x2s, 2x2s, and 2x4s.
Tafik Regex Marmota, Kaliphlin Guild, Master Cartographer

#5 Cara

Cara

• Green Captain of the Flying Piranha

Member: 12904

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

I like the minifigs expressions Blaze =)
Guilds of Historica: Proud Mitgardian.  Astrun Egilsdóttir, Journeyman Bard
Tournament of Retribution III: Bluecoat, Deck Scrubber - Redcoats, Fear my Brush!

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My Flickr Album
Obsessively forcing square bricks into round shapes.

#6 soccerkid6

soccerkid6

• Mitgardia's moccing machine

Member: 20775

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

Nice job Blaze! I like the style of the building  :thumbup:  as others have said just put some different plates around to give depth.
Sir Glorfindel of Mitgardia, Architect Regent of Valholl, Officer of Valholl, Treasurer of the Valholl Mason's guild, Economic Titan, Knight of Valholl, Mason Teacher, Shadow Rider, Gentlefolk, in the Guilds of Historica
Here is my website: http://brickbuilt.org
My flickr: link
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

#7 Ecclesiastes

Ecclesiastes

• Master of "da hood"

Member: 17645

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

That's a fast entry! I really like it, even more because I didn't thought of it. And as I big fan of minifig posing, this is excellent. Al the expressions work really well.

About the ground, ofcourse a lot of plates does make it better but you have to got a lot of those! So just some (cheese)slopes that makes a small rock or on some places a few round plates does the job also!

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image
There's a time for tearing down and a time for building. - Ecclesiastes

My Flickr

#8 de Gothia

de Gothia

• Still really, really, REALLY wants to join Nocturnus.

Member: 18035

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:33 AM

What a great idea! U.S army going Mitgardia!  :laugh: As everyone have said, I love the minifig posing and their faces!

Regarding the ground, I agree with the rest. Some plates in white and sand green to make it look even more Mitgardian.

Great work on this one!  :classic:

de Gothia of Avalonia

My Flickr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users