Jump to content


Heroica RPG - Quest #31: Lions and Lambs


  • Please log in to reply
1003 replies to this topic

#76 Waterbrick Down

Waterbrick Down

  • Typer-of-faces


    Posts: 6498
    Joined: 16-January 09
    Member: 5025
    Country: U.S.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:03 AM

Skrall mentioned aside to Arthur, "We'll talk once we're on the trainin' fields."

Currently questing in Sandy's Heroica RPG as:


Posted Image                                  Posted Image

Skrall, Lv. 43 Ogre, Hunter       Boris Bruhalv, Lv. 8 Vampire, Cleric


#77 Flipz

Flipz

  • #residentmunchkin


    Posts: 9393
    Joined: 01-December 11
    Member: 22657
    Country: California, USA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

Arthur nods. "Right."  His attention wandering, he examines the books on the shelves, looking in particular for anything related to local legends, customs, and history.

Is probably depressed.  Real life sucks, yo.

[Heroica Stats]


#78 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21746
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

QM Note:
MegaBlokin' driver error made me rewrite this post; sorry for the wait. :sceptic:

View PostCapt.JohnPaul, on 24 April 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

"Your Excellency, could you provide us with a map?" Alexandre asks, "We could then track them down right away, or make a plan."
Posted Image
"I'll have to confer with my cartographers to see if I can get you a suitable map."

QM Note:
In other words, there wasn't originally going to be a map, and I need to check with Zeph and JimBee before I make one.

View PostFlipz, on 24 April 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

"My liege, what can you tell us of the natural hazards of the area?  I have heard rumors that here there be dragons, might we have to contend with any wild ones?  Are there any other dangerous creatures that may be in the area?  And what do you think the rebels' first target will be?  Is there an ideal point of ambush we may use to keep them back?"

"Your Excellency, I'd like ta enquire as ta tha sort o' supplies for siege weaponry we have available.  Master Arthur and I are both well-versed in tha assembly and maintenence o' such things, if we have sufficient supplies we might be able ta improve upon some o' tha designs we used in defense o' Bric'bay Fort.  Gunpowder, masonry supplies, some minor metalwork if ya could spare a blacksmith or two."
Posted Image
"There are some avalanches, rock slides, and high winds in the mountains. The plains are just rolling hills, gentle breezes, and dry air. There are dragons and riders of them, but they are rarely seen in public nowadays. The Dragon Knights are more of an elite force whose reputation keeps the people in line, not their physical presence. We don't really know what the first target might be, or even if the rebels have enough recruits to make a move, yet. I imagine it would be some sort of assassination or hit-and-run attack in the capital.

"I can't allow that. Much of this area of Dastan is densely populated, and what land isn't built on is used for farms. I can't have you operating weaponry of that power in this area until I know that it is absolutely necessary to counter what we are up against."

View PostWaterbrick Down, on 24 April 2012 - 01:35 AM, said:

"Also, my contacts in Eurbic informed me of some uprising of a Cult of the Chimera, are you aware of it?"
Posted Image
"Ah, yes, I am. The other two emperors have told be about it, and they seem to be somewhat scared of the cult which is rumored to be on the rise, but there hasn't been any action related to any cults recently in the areas under my direct authority."


View PostFlipz, on 24 April 2012 - 02:13 AM, said:

Arthur nods. "Right."  His attention wandering, he examines the books on the shelves, looking in particular for anything related to local legends, customs, and history.
You see that the books are, interestingly, about the Orcish Wars and the history of the Free Islands, not about Dastan itself. You also spot a couple books about the art of breeding dragons.

#79 Flipz

Flipz

  • #residentmunchkin


    Posts: 9393
    Joined: 01-December 11
    Member: 22657
    Country: California, USA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:27 AM

View PostBrickdoctor, on 24 April 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

QM Note:
MegaBlokin' driver error made me rewrite this post; sorry for the wait. :sceptic:

OOC: I understand.  Boy, those have been happening a lot lately, haven't they? :look:

View PostBrickdoctor, on 24 April 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

Posted Image
"There are some avalanches, rock slides, and high winds in the mountains. The plains are just rolling hills, gentle breezes, and dry air. There are dragons and riders of them, but they are rarely seen in public nowadays. The Dragon Knights are more of an elite force whose reputation keeps the people in line, not their physical presence. We don't really know what the first target might be, or even if the rebels have enough recruits to make a move, yet. I imagine it would be some sort of assassination or hit-and-run attack in the capital.

"I can't allow that. Much of this area of Dastan is densely populated, and what land isn't built on is used for farms. I can't have you operating weaponry of that power in this area until I know that it is absolutely necessary to counter what we are up against."

Arthur looks up from the book he was examining.  "So all of the dragons of the land are either trained or in training?  That is good to hear.  Even the smallest of dragons, if wild, are a grave threat."

"I understand.  If a likely course of action is an assasination, do you and tha other Emperors have a defensible stronghold where ya may be kept safe?  And, er, if ya have separate strongholds, erm, *cough*, uh," Knyghton looks extremely uncomfortable as he says this, "Which of tha three Emperors would the Rebels most wish to take out first?  To be sure, we'll most definitely protect all o' ya, but if we choose correctly we may have tha chance ta take out tha Rebel leaders instead o' just drivin' em off."

Arthur marks his place in the book, and drops it to his side, returning his full attention to the Emperor.  "Your Excellence, if you wish to fortify this city, or even just a single stronghold, I believe I have an idea for a purely defensive fortification that may be activated or deactivated at will, giving both the solid defense of a walled city, as well as the advantage of surprise, as invaders will not be able to see the fortifications until they are active.  Even within the dense inner city itself, this mechanism would allow your troops to open and close streets and alleyways, diverting hostile forces wherever you wished.  Does this sound like a useful plan to you, sire?  Oh, and while I'm asking: are their any other, more incidental tasks you wish us to perform for you while we pursue the main mission?"

OOC: Arthur is totally reading about the art of breeding dragons.  Mind posting an excerpt for flavor? :grin: (Like me, he'll stop and read pretty much anything that catches his interest.)

Is probably depressed.  Real life sucks, yo.

[Heroica Stats]


#80 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21746
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

View PostFlipz, on 24 April 2012 - 05:27 AM, said:

"I understand.  If a likely course of action is an assasination, do you and tha other Emperors have a defensible stronghold where ya may be kept safe?  And, er, if ya have separate strongholds, erm, *cough*, uh," Knyghton looks extremely uncomfortable as he says this, "Which of tha three Emperors would the Rebels most wish to take out first?  To be sure, we'll most definitely protect all o' ya, but if we choose correctly we may have tha chance ta take out tha Rebel leaders instead o' just drivin' em off."

Arthur marks his place in the book, and drops it to his side, returning his full attention to the Emperor.  "Your Excellence, if you wish to fortify this city, or even just a single stronghold, I believe I have an idea for a purely defensive fortification that may be activated or deactivated at will, giving both the solid defense of a walled city, as well as the advantage of surprise, as invaders will not be able to see the fortifications until they are active.  Even within the dense inner city itself, this mechanism would allow your troops to open and close streets and alleyways, diverting hostile forces wherever you wished.  Does this sound like a useful plan to you, sire?  Oh, and while I'm asking: are their any other, more incidental tasks you wish us to perform for you while we pursue the main mission?"

OOC: Arthur is totally reading about the art of breeding dragons.  Mind posting an excerpt for flavor? :grin: (Like me, he'll stop and read pretty much anything that catches his interest.)
Posted Image
"This is our stronghold, as it has been for hundreds of years. I know the other emperors have taken precautions to protect themselves; I am your only concern, and even then, the Lions should be doing the protecting while you are out hunting the rebels.

"Could you explain in more detail?"

You look inside the book, but it is written in an ancient language that you don't understand. Clearly very old.

QM Note:
Sorry, I don't have anything written for it, and I don't really know anything about the subject as far as other works of fiction are concerned.

#81 Flipz

Flipz

  • #residentmunchkin


    Posts: 9393
    Joined: 01-December 11
    Member: 22657
    Country: California, USA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:07 AM

Arthur whispers a couple of words to Count Knyghton, who mutters back in a voice just loud enough for everyone to hear.  "Yeah...yeah...oh, I get it!  Most ingenious.  But ye'd best let me explain it, your way is a bit...complicated.  I still don' know half o' these 'scientific principles' ye're always on about.  Ya must've spent too much time with them scholarly types when ya were younger, my friend..."  Arthur begins copying the dragon-breeding books onto a scroll for study back at the Hall, while Count Knyghton explains his idea.

"Well, Master Arthur's idea goes somethin' like this: We build a bunch o' walls that're slightly thinner than most, but reinforced so as ta be as strong as any regular wall.  These walls'd be linked by gears or belts, dependin' on where they were placed, through tha sewers to a central command center, where this clever arrangement of pulleys and gears here--" Count Knyghton sketches a crude drawing of a large clutch system "--would allow operators to direct the power of the gear turned by these three steam engines to the various moving walls.  Now, in tha inner city, it's rather easy; rich folk love ta put slidin' walls in their houses ta hide hidden vaults or secret labs or things o' that sort.  This'd be pretty much tha same, but built on the outside to block of alleys an' streets.  Out at tha edges of the city, on tha other hand, this arrangement o' gears here would let tha entire wall sit flush with tha ground and then pop-up vertically when required.  He's also got a bunch o' tubes here that I really don't understand--"

"It's OK, Count, I'll take it from here.  The scientific principles of hydraulics can be difficult to express.  This part here, the cylinder with an airtight seal--I've got a cloth treatment that will do an acceptable job until your alchemists can develop something better on their own time--is identical to the one found in the steam engines in the control center, they allow steam to generate physical force.  I won't bore you with closer detail unless it interests you, my lord.  What's really important is this assembly here, which forcibly compresses the gas--the intake gas enters the suction manifold, then flows into the compression cylinder where it gets compressed by a piston driven in a reciprocating motion via a crankshaft, and is then discharged into the piston you saw here, providing more than sufficient force to raise and support the wall."  Arthur goes back to copying the book.

"Uh...right.  Anyhow, as ya'd imagine, tha large walls'd be a rather complex work, I figure we might be able to finish one or two walls o' tha city in time.  For tha smaller walls, on tha other hand, we could get a fair portion of tha system within the immediate vicinity of a central location (presumably your stronghold) finished within days, provided tha stonemasons and workers be quick about it.  I do not know exactly how useful it would be to us particularly, but I hope at least it would help somewhat, and we would be honored to know we have made some sort o' permanent contribution ta this city's defense even if it is not completed during our stay here."

"My lord, this style of script is fascinating and quite beautiful.  Is it commonly used in this region, or is it an archaic form of writing?"

OOC: This concept (at least for the inner walls) comes to me from a spy book I read when I was younger, it was set in labyrinthian catacombs instead of mazelike alleyways, but the concept is the same, and would be similarly effective unless the bad guys can somehow jump over a 9-12 foot tall wall.  I fully expect us to have to chase someone into this labyrinth we'd be creating, and for them to somehow have the advantage. :laugh:  The outer walls idea just came to me out of the blue, think of a wall of bricks with flat gear strips attached by SNOT to the edges, and raised and lowered by subterranean gears.  The rest of the description simply justifies how to power the system.

Is probably depressed.  Real life sucks, yo.

[Heroica Stats]


#82 Waterbrick Down

Waterbrick Down

  • Typer-of-faces


    Posts: 6498
    Joined: 16-January 09
    Member: 5025
    Country: U.S.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

Skrall looked on with a slightly impressed expression, "Master Arthur, you continue to amaze me, but I believe what his liege is trying to convey is that we are look after the huntin' down of the rebels not the waitin' for the rebels to come to us. As far as we know, we still have the advantage of surprise and the longer we wait preparin' defenses we may not use, the more chance we have of bein' spotted and losin' our advantage."

Currently questing in Sandy's Heroica RPG as:


Posted Image                                  Posted Image

Skrall, Lv. 43 Ogre, Hunter       Boris Bruhalv, Lv. 8 Vampire, Cleric


#83 Flipz

Flipz

  • #residentmunchkin


    Posts: 9393
    Joined: 01-December 11
    Member: 22657
    Country: California, USA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

View PostWaterbrick Down, on 24 April 2012 - 06:24 AM, said:

Skrall looked on with a slightly impressed expression, "Master Arthur, you continue to amaze me, but I believe what his liege is trying to convey is that we are look after the huntin' down of the rebels not the waitin' for the rebels to come to us. As far as we know, we still have the advantage of surprise and the longer we wait preparin' defenses we may not use, the more chance we have of bein' spotted and losin' our advantage."

Arthur appears pleased with the praise.  "Yes, sir.  However, I'd still recommend the construction of this mechanism, particularly within the inner city, in case we flush the Rebels out of their hideout and they attempt to lose us in the inner city.  The best defense truly is a good offense, but the rebels know this as well, and may attempt to stage an attack out of their retreat."

Is probably depressed.  Real life sucks, yo.

[Heroica Stats]


#84 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21746
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

View PostFlipz, on 24 April 2012 - 06:07 AM, said:

...

"My lord, this style of script is fascinating and quite beautiful.  Is it commonly used in this region, or is it an archaic form of writing?"
Posted Image
"...

"You lost me somewhere in there. In any case, Drakencourt is a large city; we have neither the time nor the resources to erect such an elaborate system. The city hasn't seen a major conflict in centuries. No one is prepared to defend it. We must strike first. If the rebels launch an all-out assault on my areas of the city, I will have no choice but to bring as many of my people as I can into the palace and abandon the rest.

"Archaic. No one really understands it anymore. The art of dragon breeding is now something passed down by mouth among the reclusive families of dragon breeders; that book is more of a display piece than something anyone could actually read."

#85 Flipz

Flipz

  • #residentmunchkin


    Posts: 9393
    Joined: 01-December 11
    Member: 22657
    Country: California, USA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:59 AM

View PostBrickdoctor, on 24 April 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

Posted Image
"...

"You lost me somewhere in there. In any case, Drakencourt is a large city; we have neither the time nor the resources to erect such an elaborate system. The city hasn't seen a major conflict in centuries. No one is prepared to defend it. We must strike first. If the rebels launch an all-out assault on my areas of the city, I will have no choice but to bring as many of my people as I can into the palace and abandon the rest.

"Archaic. No one really understands it anymore. The art of dragon breeding is now something passed down by mouth among the reclusive families of dragon breeders; that book is more of a display piece than something anyone could actually read."

"Once we are successful in our mission, if we have any time before returning to Eubric I would very much like to speak to the dragon trainers and breeders, and to study some of this remarkable art."

"Very well then.  Would you think it wise to, perhaps, have a dragon rider make a pass around the city, to inspire the troops and intimidate the enemy, and perhaps to launch the opening salvo of the battle before returning to base?  If not, then I can think of no further preparations at this time, I am ready for battle.  Unless you have any additional, less pressing tasks you wish us to accomplish?"

Is probably depressed.  Real life sucks, yo.

[Heroica Stats]


#86 Waterbrick Down

Waterbrick Down

  • Typer-of-faces


    Posts: 6498
    Joined: 16-January 09
    Member: 5025
    Country: U.S.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:01 AM

"Very well then, shall we attend to the troops? I think we'll hold off on the fanfare of a dragon rider for the time being, remember the rebels still don't know we're here, hopefully :wink: "

Currently questing in Sandy's Heroica RPG as:


Posted Image                                  Posted Image

Skrall, Lv. 43 Ogre, Hunter       Boris Bruhalv, Lv. 8 Vampire, Cleric


#87 Flipz

Flipz

  • #residentmunchkin


    Posts: 9393
    Joined: 01-December 11
    Member: 22657
    Country: California, USA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

View PostWaterbrick Down, on 24 April 2012 - 07:01 AM, said:

"Very well then, shall we attend to the troops? I think we'll hold off on the fanfare of a dragon rider for the time being, remember the rebels still don't know we're here, hopefully :wink: "

"True.  It would be nice to have one available, perhaps if we had some sort of signal...wait, I have the perfect idea!  Skrall, my friend, would you mind lending the Emperor that journal I gave you?  This will be a good chance to demonstrate it, for both of you."  Standing so both Skrall and the Emperor can read over his shoulder, Arthur pulls out his own journal, and, after checking to be sure he had the correct one, he began to write.

Quote

You see, lord Emperor, these journals mimic whatever writing is made in the other.  It is an ancient family spell, passed down for seven generations, that allows

It is then that Arthur notices the disturbing lack of response.  "Emperor?  Skrall?  What's wrong?"

"...Arthur...it's not working.  Nothing is there."  Taking the journal, he flips through the pages, all resolutely blank, before handing the book back to Skrall.

"No...no..."  Arthur drops to the floor, pulling all four of his journals from his robe.  He spreads them on the floor and begins frantically scribbling in all of them, oblivious to the fact that the pages lack their characteristic sheen, that the ink spreads not within each sheet of paper.  None of the precious journals were responding.

Quote

Help...something's wrong...something--someone--is blocking my spells...if any of you can read this...

It's a trap.
As Arthur's scribblings grew more frantic and incoherent, Count Knyghton steps between the panicked mage and the Emperor, blocking the former from the latter's view.  "I think it's be best if we got moving.  Please do let us know if at any point you need anything else done."  Knyghton surreptitiously gives Arthur a swift kick, and the mage gathers up his scattered belongings, still muttering incoherently but, mercifully, much too quietly for the Emperor to hear.

Is probably depressed.  Real life sucks, yo.

[Heroica Stats]


#88 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21746
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

View PostFlipz, on 24 April 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

"Once we are successful in our mission, if we have any time before returning to Eubric I would very much like to speak to the dragon trainers and breeders, and to study some of this remarkable art."
Posted Image
"I'll see about arranging that.

"I must say, Master Regulus - it's a pleasure to meet someone with the same thirst for knowledge that I have. It's a pity how much has been lost to the ages because the next generation wasn't willing to learn. I have so many books in languages no one can read. Books on dragon breeding, books on gems enabling mastery of multiple elements, books on transforming Mopag root into various other consumables, books on techniques for turning lead into mythirl, books on creating chimeras, books on achieving immortality, books on bringing individuals back from the dead - the list goes on and on.

"Are you ready to meet the troops, then?"

#89 Flipz

Flipz

  • #residentmunchkin


    Posts: 9393
    Joined: 01-December 11
    Member: 22657
    Country: California, USA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostBrickdoctor, on 24 April 2012 - 07:55 AM, said:

Posted Image
"I'll see about arranging that.

"I must say, Master Regulus - it's a pleasure to meet someone with the same thirst for knowledge that I have. It's a pity how much has been lost to the ages because the next generation wasn't willing to learn. I have so many books in languages no one can read. Books on dragon breeding, books on gems enabling mastery of multiple elements, books on transforming Mopag root into various other consumables, books on techniques for turning lead into mythirl, books on creating chimeras, books on achieving immortality, books on bringing individuals back from the dead - the list goes on and on.

"Are you ready to meet the troops, then?"

At the Emperor's words, Arthur remembers where he is.  He puts on a calm facade, but the other Heroes can plainly tell he is beyond unnerved.  "Thank you, sir.  Perhaps with effort from myself and some of the other scholars in Eubric, some of that knowledge may be regained.  When there are less pressing matters at hand, we must surely try to arrange some sort of correspondence between Dastan and the Free Islands, that we may collaborate on such efforts."

"But, on to the task at hand.  I believe I speak for all of us in saying we are ready to move forward."

Is probably depressed.  Real life sucks, yo.

[Heroica Stats]


#90 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21746
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

Posted Image
"Excellent. I took the liberty of having your troops sent to unload their cargo and supplies in the field, already."

You see Emperor Alandri motion to the minotaur.

Posted Image
"Could you show the heroes to the field?"

Posted Image
"..."

You follow the minotaur as he silently lumbers out of the room.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image


In the fields outside the city, you watch as combined Lion-Imperial forces are already moving about, opening crates of supplies brought from Uland and equipping themselves for the coming hunt. You spot Lady Leofwena among them, and you see her roll her eyes ever so slightly before moving to meet you.

Posted Image


Posted Image
"Sir Leofard is busy with his new duties, so he sent me to inspect the troops. What took you so long?"

You open your mouth to answer, but pause a the minotaur walks around the crates.

Posted Image
*sniff* "hhrghrghrghrghrghrgh"

Posted Image
"Well?"

#91 Flipz

Flipz

  • #residentmunchkin


    Posts: 9393
    Joined: 01-December 11
    Member: 22657
    Country: California, USA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

View PostBrickdoctor, on 24 April 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

Posted Image
"Sir Leofard is busy with his new duties, so he sent me to inspect the troops. What took you so long?"

You open your mouth to answer, but pause a the minotaur walks around the crates.

Posted Image
*sniff* "hhrghrghrghrghrghrgh"

Posted Image
"Well?"

Arthur looks around.  "Can anyone here translate for the Emperor's bodyguard?"  Turning to Leofwena, he replies, "We were discussing strategy with the Emperor.  A well-prepared warrior is one who wins the battle, and lives to tell the tale."

Is probably depressed.  Real life sucks, yo.

[Heroica Stats]


#92 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21746
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

View PostFlipz, on 24 April 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

Arthur looks around.  "Can anyone here translate for the Emperor's bodyguard?"  Turning to Leofwena, he replies, "We were discussing strategy with the Emperor.  A well-prepared warrior is one who wins the battle, and lives to tell the tale."
Posted Image
"And a warrior who takes hours to discuss strategy in the safety of the palace while his troops are out in the field waiting for combat is a coward."

You stare at the minotaur as he utters a deep, guttural growl and moves towards the crates.

Posted Image
"..."

#93 Flipz

Flipz

  • #residentmunchkin


    Posts: 9393
    Joined: 01-December 11
    Member: 22657
    Country: California, USA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

View PostBrickdoctor, on 24 April 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

Posted Image
"And a warrior who takes hours to discuss strategy in the safety of the palace while his troops are out in the field waiting for combat is a coward."


"No, cowardice is striking out at an innocent, unprepared foe, one who has done nothing to you, your friends, and your allies.  The Empire of Dastan did nothing to the rebels, nor to the Lion Knights, since the ancient battle many years ago, and yet the rebels attack them, without cause, without reason.  We, on the other hand, simply seek the safety and security of the Emperor and his people; to fail to prepare would be to neglect our duty and to assure our defeat.  No, we are not cowards; at Bric'bay we took the injuries that would have otherwise killed your men, and we shall do so again here.  We are Heroes, we are of courage, and of honor.  Search your feelings, Lady, you know it to be true."

While Arthur argues with Leofwena, Count Knyghton moves over to the crates, and, with the assistance of a soldier, gingerly lifts the lid off of one, observing what lay inside.

Is probably depressed.  Real life sucks, yo.

[Heroica Stats]


#94 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21746
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

View PostFlipz, on 24 April 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

"No, cowardice is striking out at an innocent, unprepared foe, one who has done nothing to you, your friends, and your allies.  The Empire of Dastan did nothing to the rebels, nor to the Lion Knights, since the ancient battle many years ago, and yet the rebels attack them, without cause, without reason.  We, on the other hand, simply seek the safety and security of the Emperor and his people; to fail to prepare would be to neglect our duty and to assure our defeat.  No, we are not cowards; at Bric'bay we took the injuries that would have otherwise killed your men, and we shall do so again here.  We are Heroes, we are of courage, and of honor.  Search your feelings, Lady, you know it to be true."
Posted Image
"I may not side with the rebels, but they have a point. If Dastan is weak enough to need to ask for our help in the face of this rebellion, perhaps the Empire doesn't deserve to survive. I oppose the rebels because they deserted the Lions, but that doesn't mean I support Imperial Dastan."

View PostFlipz, on 24 April 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

While Arthur argues with Leofwena, Count Knyghton moves over to the crates, and, with the assistance of a soldier, gingerly lifts the lid off of one, observing what lay inside.
Lewis, you open the only unopened crate, and see that it is full of pots and pans.

#95 Flipz

Flipz

  • #residentmunchkin


    Posts: 9393
    Joined: 01-December 11
    Member: 22657
    Country: California, USA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

View PostBrickdoctor, on 24 April 2012 - 08:18 PM, said:

Posted Image
"I may not side with the rebels, but they have a point. If Dastan is weak enough to need to ask for our help in the face of this rebellion, perhaps the Empire doesn't deserve to survive. I oppose the rebels because they deserted the Lions, but that doesn't mean I support Imperial Dastan."

Lewis, you open the only unopened crate, and see that it is full of pots and pans.

"Let me let you in on a little secret: the 'weak' are truly the strongest of us all.  An invading army seeks power, and wealth, and perhaps the glory of combat.  The invaded seeks survial--of themselves, of their families, and, most importantly, the survival of their very culture, their very identity.  Even when numerically weak, their determination is unmatched.  And let me demonstrate something else: individual ants may be puny, but when a whole nest of them rises against a foe they can strip the flesh from their bones in minutes.  Heroica is strong because we support the weak, and they, in turn, support us.  To wage war on Heroica is to wage war on the world.  The Lion Knights, too, have the opportunity to assume such a position, if only you can see the world from a slightly different perspective."

Count Knighton looks confusedly at the minotaur, when something clicks in his mind.  "Soldier, get tha minotaur somethin' ta eat."

Is probably depressed.  Real life sucks, yo.

[Heroica Stats]


#96 Waterbrick Down

Waterbrick Down

  • Typer-of-faces


    Posts: 6498
    Joined: 16-January 09
    Member: 5025
    Country: U.S.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

"Well now, good day to ya Lady Leofwena. The mage is right, we were in council with the emperor concernin' tactical particularities. What matters now is that we are here and whatever any of our opinions on the rebels or empires may be, we have a task ahead of us. Tell me mam, how many troops do we have available to us and are any of them skilled in trackin' or forestry?"

Edited by Waterbrick Down, 24 April 2012 - 10:25 PM.

Currently questing in Sandy's Heroica RPG as:


Posted Image                                  Posted Image

Skrall, Lv. 43 Ogre, Hunter       Boris Bruhalv, Lv. 8 Vampire, Cleric


#97 Capt.JohnPaul

Capt.JohnPaul

  • Don't you hear the people sing? Singing the song of angry me


    Posts: 4970
    Joined: 12-May 10
    Member: 10643

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

"Hail, Lady Leofwena. Shall we inspect these troops? Any drills we can see?"

"Arthur, don't annoy the lady, it's just her personality, no point in trying to change it. I sense she's a very dangerous ally.... or foe..."

#98 Flipz

Flipz

  • #residentmunchkin


    Posts: 9393
    Joined: 01-December 11
    Member: 22657
    Country: California, USA

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

View PostCapt.JohnPaul, on 24 April 2012 - 11:12 PM, said:

"Hail, Lady Leofwena. Shall we inspect these troops? Any drills we can see?"

"There doesn't appear to be any mining equipment...oh, you mean training!  Yes, I'd very much like to see what sort of troops are at our dispoasl."

Count Knyghton, meanwhile, tries to see if the minotaur drops any more clues as to what it wants.  "Soldier, where's tha food I asked for for tha minotaur?  And CAN any of ya understand him?"

Is probably depressed.  Real life sucks, yo.

[Heroica Stats]


#99 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21746
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

You hear the minotaur grunt in annoyance. You watch as he pushes away the offered food and raises it over one of the barrels. You see a figure in peasant's clothing, seeing this, leap out from behind the barrels, grabbing a nearby crossbow and shooting some nearby men in the back. You realize that the minotaur had been trying to alert you to the intruder, who had been attempting to hide behind the barrels with his bulbous head sticking out the whole time, and you never thought to look there. With one swift chop, the minotaur beheads that particular intruder, but as he does that, he and you both see more peasants emerge, grabbing nearby weapons and moving to attack. You see Lady Leofwena barely get her sword out to block a strike, but you see that she hits her head hard on the ground and lies still.

Because you had failed to detect the attack, you are all Surprised, and will take Free Hits before the first Round begins.


Posted Image


Posted Image
"Teuthisal. They're a minority in Dastan who have been protesting imperial rule ever since the emperors refused to install public fountains at every intersection to keep their skin moist in Dastan's dry air. They're clearly members of the rebellion.

"Prepare for battle!"

Enemies:

Posted Image
Rebel Teuthisal Crossbowman
Type: Humanoid; Aquatic
Level: 10
Health: 30/30
Defense: 0
Special: Suppressive Fire - The crossbowman pins the target down with arrows, dealing 2 Damage and causing the target to miss his next Turn.
Drops: nothing

Posted Image
Rebel Teuthisal Dual-Swordsman
Type: Humanoid; Aquatic
Level: 15
Health: 25/25
Defense: 0
Special: Block - The swordsman crosses his swords and weaves a virtually impenetrable defense, taking no Damage during the next Round.
Drops: 8 Gold

Posted Image
Rebel Teuthisal Butcher
Type: Humanoid; Aquatic
Level: 15
Health: 50/50
Defense: 1
Special: Cleave - The butcher puts all his strength into a mighty blow that does 10 Damage, ignoring Rows and SP.
Drops: 12 Gold

Posted Image
Rebel Teuthisal Swordsman
Type: Humanoid; Aquatic
Level: 10
Health: 30/30
Defense: 0
Special: Parry - The swordsman defensively backs off with his sword in front of him, taking half-Damage next Round.
Drops: nothing


Party:

Posted Image
Skrall, Level 15 Hunter (Waterbrick Down) *Party Leader*
Power: 25 (+4 vs beasts)
Health: 28/28
Defense: 0
Gold: 8
Inventory: Heavy Crossbow: WP 8 (Knockback), Hunter's Crossbow: WP 10 (+4 vs beasts), Potion, Tonic, Smoke Bomb, Skeleton Decoy, Emperor Alandri's Letter

Posted Image
Arthur Justus Regulus VII, Level 9 Mage (Flipz) *Party Second-in-Command*
Power: 14
Health: 13/13
Ether: 13/13
Defense: 1
Gold: 0
Inventory: Arthur's Staff of Elven Necromancy (WP: 5), Robe of Magi (SP:1), Amethyst (Darkness), Opal (Ice), Potion(x2), Bedroll, Telescope, Healing Staff, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Confusion, Scroll of Sleep, Shovel, Grand Tonic

Posted Image
Isabella del Toboso, Level 6 Rogue (Dharkan) *Invisible*
Power: 11
Health: 12/12
Defense: 1
Gold: 94
Inventory: Fauxthril Dagger (WP:7), Golden Dagger (WP:3), Cloak of the Invisible Elf (SP: 1; untargetable for first 2 Rounds of every Battle), Venom, Potions (2), Bedroll, Fire Bombs (2)

Posted Image
Alexandre le Chevalier, Level 9 Knight (Capt.JohnPaul)
Power: 14
Health: 18/18
Defense: 7
Gold: 30
Inventory: Sword of the Elven Blademaster (WP: 6; ignores SP), Cross Heater Shield (SP: 7), Potions (2), Fire Bombs (2), Bedroll

Posted Image
Luke, Level 16 Sage (controlled by Waterbrick Down) *Pacifist*
Power: 17
Health: 31/31
Ether: 23/23
Defense: 0
Gold: 0
Inventory: Wooden Staff (WP: 1), Diamond (Light)

Posted Image
Count Lewis Knyghton, Level 11 Engineer (controlled by Flipz)
Power: 13
Health: 18/18
Defense: 0
Gold: 0
Inventory: Spatha (WP: 3)


Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image


Party Leader, choose the order of actions.

All of you, choose your targets and the Row you want to fight in. Also mention if you want to try to flee, move, heal, or cast a magic spell, or if you want to use an item instead of attacking.

Any enemy not targeted will get a Free Hit on the party after everyone has acted.

#100 Flipz

Flipz

  • #residentmunchkin


    Posts: 9393
    Joined: 01-December 11
    Member: 22657
    Country: California, USA

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:54 AM

"Spast!  Luke, see if you can take a Free Hit from the dual-swordsman or the butcher, you have the most health of all of us.  Isabella and I should go last and attack from the Back Row, as we can barely take a hit from these guys as it is.  Actually, ALL of us should attack from the back row--even you, Sir Alexandre."  Hoisting his Amethyst and charging his power, Arthur blasts the Swordsman from the Back Row with Darkness magic.

OOC: Because there's only four of them, only the first four in the Battle Order will take damage, correct?  EDIT: From the Free Hits, I mean, obviously anyone can take damage if they roll "Damage" or "Special Damage". :wink:

"I'm sorry, m'friend," Count Knyghton says to the Minotaur.  "I shoulda paid better attention to ya."  Readying his spatha, he attacks the crossbowman from the Back Row.

Edited by Flipz, 25 April 2012 - 12:57 AM.

Is probably depressed.  Real life sucks, yo.

[Heroica Stats]





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users