Jump to content


3D Model of Lego Head?


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WetWired

WetWired

  • Savin' The Day!


    Posts: 361
    Joined: 13-February 08
    Member: 2736

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

I'm trying to track down an accurate 3d model of a lego head, I want to make a custom headpiece and try one of those 3d printing services to print it, but I'm not convinced the schematics I have are accurate is there an existing library out there somewhere with accurate 3d models of lego pieces that can be imported into maya to use as reference when creating something like this? if not is there any decent schematics for a lego head anywhere? the one I have doesn't seem to have the height of a lego head.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 LuxorV

LuxorV

  • Will Cat Accordingly.


    Posts: 6284
    Joined: 11-July 07
    Member: 1771
    Country: Italy

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

I think this question may get better answers from the guys in the LEGO Digital Designer and other digital tools, so I'm moving the topic there.

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide


Looking for new decals or help customising your LEGO elements? Check the Minifig Customisation Index!

My Brickshelf --- My Flickr


#3 DLuders

DLuders

  • Technic Technician


    Posts: 5817
    Joined: 17-October 09
    Member: 7868
    Country: USA (WA State)

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

@ WetWired:  See this Eurobricks topic about "Philo's LEGO 3D Scanner (Used for 3D LDRAW Parts) -- NXT Software Available to Scan Any Shape with Laser."

The YouTube video shows a "Laser scan of a LEGO part using DAVID laser scanner":

Posted Image

#4 Superkalle

Superkalle

    Posts: 5551
    Joined: 21-December 08
    Member: 4755
    Country: Sweden

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

Hi

Yeah, for starters there is the complete LDraw catalogue of bricks, that can be converted to other formats. I don't know about importing to Maya though - maybe some of the Ldraw gurus here can answer that.

I've also seen tons and tons of LEGO elements on Google Sketchup (actually kind of amazing the number of bricks re-created there). Once again, if they can be converted to other formats I don't know.

LDD is unfortuantely not a source since those brick geometries are propriatry/hidden.

Regarding the Lego minifig head size specifically, yes there should be engineering drawings around. I have seen one once, but can't remember right now where it was.

EDIT: Here it was...on EB naturally  :tongue: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=25570

EDIT2: More drawings: http://snively.blogs...dimensions.html

And for fun, the patent application (not really a patent as I understand, but a design protection, but nevertheless:)

Posted Image

And the little guy  :classic:
Eurobricks Digital Design Forum - for all your LDD and Ldraw cravings

#5 WetWired

WetWired

  • Savin' The Day!


    Posts: 361
    Joined: 13-February 08
    Member: 2736

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

Yeah I found those blueprints and another one, both which seem to have slightly conflicting measurements so I'm not sure which is real, I modelled a head anyway to test my headpiece.

I was going to do a dark knight rises bane mask but the stud on top of the head kind of prohibits making a nice snuggly fitting mask strap over the top, it kinda looks like he has a massive mohawk or something
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Palathadric

Palathadric

  • Makes other members' internet speeds seem ridiculously fast


    Posts: 5438
    Joined: 30-July 11
    Member: 19379
    Country: Great Unknown

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

View PostWetWired, on 17 April 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

I'm trying to track down an accurate 3d model of a lego head, I want to make a custom headpiece and try one of those 3d printing services to print it, but I'm not convinced the schematics I have are accurate is there an existing library out there somewhere with accurate 3d models of lego pieces that can be imported into maya to use as reference when creating something like this? if not is there any decent schematics for a lego head anywhere? the one I have doesn't seem to have the height of a lego head.
I can try importing one into Maya tomorrow, if you like, and if I'm not too busy. It's late now.
They that love God will never meet for the last time.
This life isn't the end. We will meet again.
Posted Image     Posted Image     Posted Image
Brickshelf Account
See my work in the Official Lego sets made in LDraw topic

#7 WetWired

WetWired

  • Savin' The Day!


    Posts: 361
    Joined: 13-February 08
    Member: 2736

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

View Postpalathadric, on 18 April 2012 - 10:39 PM, said:

I can try importing one into Maya tomorrow, if you like, and if I'm not too busy. It's late now.

If you can get it to work that would be great, I had a try myself with ldr2obj with no luck, I kept getting errors about it being unable to find ldraw.exe and various .dat piece files.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 Palathadric

Palathadric

  • Makes other members' internet speeds seem ridiculously fast


    Posts: 5438
    Joined: 30-July 11
    Member: 19379
    Country: Great Unknown

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

View PostWetWired, on 19 April 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

If you can get it to work that would be great, I had a try myself with ldr2obj with no luck, I kept getting errors about it being unable to find ldraw.exe and various .dat piece files.
Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work with Maya. I'm not too experienced with it though, and I'm sure there must be a way, but as of yet I have nothing. Sorry about that.
They that love God will never meet for the last time.
This life isn't the end. We will meet again.
Posted Image     Posted Image     Posted Image
Brickshelf Account
See my work in the Official Lego sets made in LDraw topic

#9 WetWired

WetWired

  • Savin' The Day!


    Posts: 361
    Joined: 13-February 08
    Member: 2736

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:48 AM

View Postpalathadric, on 19 April 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work with Maya. I'm not too experienced with it though, and I'm sure there must be a way, but as of yet I have nothing. Sorry about that.
yeah, no luck here either, I know maya like the back of my hand but it's the ldraw conversion part I'm stuck on
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 Philo

Philo

    Posts: 354
    Joined: 07-April 10
    Member: 10185
    Country: France

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostWetWired, on 21 April 2012 - 12:48 AM, said:

yeah, no luck here either, I know maya like the back of my hand but it's the ldraw conversion part I'm stuck on
Have you tried .stl file format? Maya is supposed to be able to read that (I don't know Maya!), and LDView does export LDraw towards that file format.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users