8 replies to this topic

#1 Tanotrooper

Tanotrooper

• TT Commander

Member: 1514

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:43 AM

Posted Image
Goodnight everyone,

from an early age on I have always had this fascination with Titanic which eventually led to building a primitive version of the ship in LEGO and letting it sink in the little pool in the backyard. (Which wasn't that difficult since LEGO isn't waterproof...)

But anyway, my fascination re-ignited this year with the centenary of the sinking, and I have been doing all kinds of stuff for it. (I just got home from watching the movie in 3D, this showing took place almost exactly one hundred years after the disaster so I'm glad to have relived it again at such a special moment.)

As far as music is concerned I have made a cover of 'Nearer my God, to Thee' which you can see here.

And I've made a MOC aswell:

Posted Image

This is my MINI RMS Titanic although she is 28 studs long. I call it MINI scale since this is the smallest scale possible using 1 stud wide chimneys and still respecting the original dimensions.

She took me around 5 days to build, it turned out to be one of my most difficult builds yet and a real puzzle getting the dimensions right, making her aesthetically pleasing and making sure she doesn't fall apart. I have yet to test the finished version, but she'll hold up to display and light play.

The parts to build several versions of this ship are on their way, I'll be using two of them to make larger scenes.

Posted Image

Another shot, showing LDD's limits.

Posted Image

The stern. Those flower parts are the perfect parts for the large propellers. :classic:

Posted Image

Some details on top like the lifeboats (even fewer in number here than on the real life version...). All the higher parts have been reproduced as accurate as possible. I've used trans parts for the open hallways you can see on the sides of the ship towards the stern. The chimneys are slightly angled as they should be, and after a lot of doubting it seems yellow is the best colour for them.

Posted Image

This is my night/sinking version. The colours look a bit odd at the moment, but they will look perfect in the right scene.

And this concludes my efforts for the centenary of RMS Titanic's sinking on the 14th-15th of April 1912-2012. When the parts arrive I will add some decent shots, preferably with the scenes aswell.

Sincerely,

Gaetano Dooms

Edited by Rufus, 25 April 2012 - 07:20 PM.
Indexed

http://www.brickshel...i?m=Tanotrooper
Project Waterloo 1815: FINISHED AT THE MOMENT: 2 companies of the 1st bataillon of "le 45ème regiment d'infanterie de ligne" (pic=link)

Posted Image
  Posted Image
flickr

#2 Tragic Banjo

Tragic Banjo

• There is no spoon.

Member: 18218

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:33 AM

Very nicely done! It's impressively proportional for such a small scale. I also really like the flowers for propellers - that's a part usage I've never seen before, and it's perfect.  :thumbup:
Posted Image

"Am I the only one who-" "No."

#3 Mr_Malfoy

Mr_Malfoy

Member: 17027

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

Cool MOC! :thumbup:
I really like the use of the flower piece for the propellers.

I just found out a few minutes ago I actually had an acestor who died on the Titanic. My reaction =  *oh2*.
He was the engineer chief's clerk, was from Belfast, Ireland, married, and died 29 yrs. old on the Titanic. His body was never recovered.
I'm a Christian and proud of it! I'm also proud to be a Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Disney, Lord of the Rings, and LEGO fan too...

#4 Tanotrooper

Tanotrooper

• TT Commander

Member: 1514

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostTragic Banjo, on 15 April 2012 - 05:33 AM, said:

Very nicely done! It's impressively proportional for such a small scale. I also really like the flowers for propellers - that's a part usage I've never seen before, and it's perfect.  :thumbup:

Thanks! I tried to follow these schematics as closely as possible. I see you're an Architecture fan, and I felt like one of those designers while designing this ship. (Constantly applying the 2 studs - 5 plates rule, working with half plates, ...) I've never really used the flower part before, but in this case I feel like the part turns a LEGO build into a scale model. :classic:

View PostMr_Malfoy, on 15 April 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

Cool MOC! :thumbup:
I really like the use of the flower piece for the propellers.

I just found out a few minutes ago I actually had an acestor who died on the Titanic. My reaction =  *oh2*.
He was the engineer chief's clerk, was from Belfast, Ireland, married, and died 29 yrs. old on the Titanic. His body was never recovered.

Thank you. :classic: My condolences for your ancestor, the crew really did admirable things under those circumstances. Atleast your ancestor and RMS Titanic were born and passed away on the same places. :sadnew: I'll certainly be going to Belfast in a couple of years and visit the museum and shipyards.

Gaetano
http://www.brickshel...i?m=Tanotrooper
Project Waterloo 1815: FINISHED AT THE MOMENT: 2 companies of the 1st bataillon of "le 45ème regiment d'infanterie de ligne" (pic=link)

Posted Image
  Posted Image
flickr

#5 The Joker1

The Joker1

Member: 27681

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Great work I like the SNOT you have used for the windows. :thumbup:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
“I’m like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one, you know, I’d just do…things.” Heath ledger- 2008

#6 Omega X

Omega X

Member: 28372

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:56 AM

Wonderful MOC for the Titanic. I had always been fascinated with that ship... :sweet: Nice use of parts and SNOT techniques in that model. Overall, WELL DONE!!! :thumbup:

Omega X
My first MOC is now available here!
My first review is already available in the RA hidden forum! Join the Reviewers Academy and learn the skills of becoming a great reviewer here!

#7 Fuppylodders

Fuppylodders

• Screaming Ju 88

Member: 23632

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

Really nice mini version of this :) The detail is great and those propeller parts are absolutely perfect for it! The huge funnels look very prominent and pleasing to the eye!
I also had a Great Great Grandad on my mothers side, that went down with this ship, name was William Ford Kingscoat and he was a steward. Same as Mr. Malfoy's ancestor, body was never recovered.

You have represented the ship very nicely indeed  :cry_happy:

Edited by Fuppylodders, 05 May 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#8 Niels_sandra

Niels_sandra

Member: 37002

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

nice, I myself am also working on a moc titanic
http://www.facebook..../LegoRmsTitanic

#9 Rufus

Rufus

• Schnell! Schnell! Kartoffelkopf!

Member: 6705

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostNiels_sandra, on 18 January 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

nice, I myself am also working on a moc titanic
Hi Niels_sandra, and welcome to Eurobricks.

You've made two posts both promoting your MOC on another site in other people's threads.  If you'd like to promote your model, why not post pictures and commentary in a separate thread here in Special Themes?

I'd also suggest introducing yourself here.

Thanks!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users