Robbing from the rich; the Forestmen return!

31 replies to this topic

#1 ED-209

ED-209

• Medieval Master Artist

Member: 4091

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

A few weeks ago I'd made a tutorial topic about designing torso images in Illustrator, and reproduced the Collectable Minifig forestman as an example. At the time, I'd made a few alternative colours/designs with the intention of posting them in a separate thread rather than in the tutorial. I had a total facepalm moment when I realised only now that I'd forgotten to ever post them!  :wacko:

So anyway, here are the modern-styled forestmen (the first one being a straight-up repro of the official one):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Will Scarlet, is that you?!  :laugh:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I made sure to include black, blue and red variations as these were the colours used in the original line:
http://www.bricklink...ype=M&catID=288

And here's the link to the tutorial in case anyone's interested in how I made them:
http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=67532

As always, any feedback, suggestions or requests are most welcome!  :sweet:

#2 K-Nut

K-Nut

Member: 19691

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

You are awesome. :wub: Stunning work! I like the last two the most, since they look just like the classic ones accept in the modern design and detail. I will be using these very soon. :thumbup:
My Collection

Posted Image

Althior Emorith (And Finnegan) Level 40.4 Necromancer: Stats

#3 ED-209

ED-209

• Medieval Master Artist

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:06 AM

View PostK-nut, on 14 April 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

You are awesome. :wub: Stunning work! I like the last two the most, since they look just like the classic ones accept in the modern design and detail. I will be using these very soon. :thumbup:

Cool, thanks! The updated classic is exactly what I was aiming for!  :sweet:

#4 Piranha

Piranha

• Tag! You're it

Member: 1506

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

:wub: These are all very nice designs that do pay homage to the classic Forestmen. My favorite would have to be the black and tan designs.

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image

#5 CallMePie

CallMePie

• DAMN Heroica badass

Member: 7199

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:08 AM

Awesome.  :cry_happy: Your decals never cease to amaze me. Perhaps you should produce some in a green/dark green/brown/dark brown/black tone, ala Dark Forest.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Atramor Gibbin, Level 34 Regulator in Sandy's Heroica RPG
Miderun, Level 5 Barbarian in Sandy's Heroica RPG

#6 The Joker1

The Joker1

Member: 27681

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

Nice work. I like the blue one. :classic:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
“I’m like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one, you know, I’d just do…things.” Heath ledger- 2008

#7 ED-209

ED-209

• Medieval Master Artist

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

Thanks guys!

View PostCallMePieOrDie, on 16 April 2012 - 01:08 AM, said:

Awesome.  :cry_happy: Your decals never cease to amaze me. Perhaps you should produce some in a green/dark green/brown/dark brown/black tone, ala Dark Forest.

Ah, that's a good idea. The Dark Forest was during my dark ages, so I must admit I'd not even thought of that! :laugh:
Here are some darker themed styles, let me know if there's anything specific you'd like to see!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 CallMePie

CallMePie

• DAMN Heroica badass

Member: 7199

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Those are even better.  :thumbup: :thumbup:  The last one really emphasizes the studs on the belt, but the fourth one might have to be my favorite. You've nailed what I think the Dark Forest was, story-wise: a combination of Wolfpack and Forestman. Fantastic work.  :sweet:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Atramor Gibbin, Level 34 Regulator in Sandy's Heroica RPG
Miderun, Level 5 Barbarian in Sandy's Heroica RPG

#9 Scubacarrot

Scubacarrot

• Completely Lame

Member: 21005

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

These are once again very awesome, my favorite of the last bunch is the last one.

But now I am wondering, how do they look like applied? I don't have the time/patience/tools to apply decals myself, but these look very awesome. If you have any pictures of these (Or even more of the wolfpack ones you did) I would love to see them!

Posted Image

#10 K-Nut

K-Nut

Member: 19691

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:16 AM

I really like that 2nd to last one in the new batch. :wub: Great job! :thumbup:
My Collection

Posted Image

Althior Emorith (And Finnegan) Level 40.4 Necromancer: Stats

#11 The Blue Brick

The Blue Brick

Member: 18793

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:27 AM

I agree, these are great. I never got into forest men that much, but I might need to print some of these out.  :classic:

#12 Shadows

Shadows

• Awesome, brilliant, not redundant.

Member: 1558

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

These are very nice, I've always appreciated a blending of the old and the new to create something that fits both well, so I was glad to see this officially released, and now you've provided some nice recolours to give us variety. :thumbup:

On that note, it wouldn't be hard to adapt these to pirates, the straps/belts are perfect already, imagine a vest and shirt instead of the existing tunic. :wink:

Shadows is looking for stalkers. Yep, you heard me right. CLICKY!

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

#13 ED-209

ED-209

• Medieval Master Artist

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Thanks again everyone, I'm always glad when people like them!  :laugh:

View PostScubacarrot, on 16 April 2012 - 08:52 PM, said:

But now I am wondering, how do they look like applied? I don't have the time/patience/tools to apply decals myself, but these look very awesome. If you have any pictures of these (Or even more of the wolfpack ones you did) I would love to see them!

I'm afraid I'm guilty of being something of a daydreamer - I make far more designs than I apply!  :laugh:
I haven't applied these (or the Wolfpack ones to be honest!), but I tend to use sticker sheets and a colour laser printer. I just wait until I've got a whole A4 sheet filled up, then print them. It doesn't look quite as good as a waterslide decal, but the results are quite reasonable and it's substantially easier.

View PostShadows, on 18 April 2012 - 03:04 PM, said:

These are very nice, I've always appreciated a blending of the old and the new to create something that fits both well, so I was glad to see this officially released, and now you've provided some nice recolours to give us variety. :thumbup:

On that note, it wouldn't be hard to adapt these to pirates, the straps/belts are perfect already, imagine a vest and shirt instead of the existing tunic. :wink:

I'm alway's a fan of the joining of old and new too, that's probably why I do a lot of updated versions of Classic Castle factions!  :wink:

Hmm... I hadn't thought about doing pirate ones, I might have to look into that...

#14 NickAb

NickAb

Member: 14739

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

Nice work as always.
Let me put my two cents in. Just in case some of your forestmen will need a shield:

All images are 600dpi

Posted Image

Stroke variations:

Round-shield (the small one ∅1.6cm, like this one from collectible minifigures):

Posted Image

Ovoid shield (simple and enforced):

Posted Image Posted Image

Also available in vector. You can edit it in InkScape to replace triangular shield with round one, change colors, etc.
Small round shield SVG
Triangular shield SVG
Ovoid enforced shield SVG

Edited by NickAb, 30 April 2012 - 10:21 AM.

Download the latest version of SVG decals library and collaborate on making SVG decals library bigger and better on github.
Subscribe to my youtube channel where I post videos on how to create custom decals and other LEGO related stuff. My flickr and Brcikshelf pages.

#15 ED-209

ED-209

• Medieval Master Artist

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

View PostNickAb, on 28 April 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

Nice work as always.
Let me put my two cents in. Just in case some of your forestmen will need a shield:

All images are 600dpi

Stroke variations:

Round-shield (the small one ∅1.6cm, like this one from collectible minifigures):

Ovoid shield (simple and enforced):

Also available in vector. You can edit it in InkScape to replace triangular shield with round one, change colors, etc.

Oh wow, the shields look wonderful!
You should do a flag/banner with the stag too! :grin:

#16 NickAb

NickAb

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

View PostED-209, on 30 April 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

Oh wow, the shields look wonderful!
You should do a flag/banner with the stag too! :grin:

Thank you very much.
I saw your boar's head fraction template. Very nice.
Here are banners based on your work:
Posted Image

Posted Image

And one without ovoid background can be found here.

Edited by NickAb, 02 May 2012 - 10:37 AM.

Download the latest version of SVG decals library and collaborate on making SVG decals library bigger and better on github.
Subscribe to my youtube channel where I post videos on how to create custom decals and other LEGO related stuff. My flickr and Brcikshelf pages.

#17 ED-209

ED-209

• Medieval Master Artist

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostNickAb, on 02 May 2012 - 10:03 AM, said:

Thank you very much.
I saw your boar's head fraction template. Very nice.
Here are banners based on your work:

And one without ovoid background can be found here.

Very nice! I prefer the banner without the ovoid myself. Have you tried outlining the antlers in a darker colour? Darker than the main antler colour I mean.

#18 NickAb

NickAb

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

View PostED-209, on 02 May 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

Very nice! I prefer the banner without the ovoid myself. Have you tried outlining the antlers in a darker colour? Darker than the main antler colour I mean.

I tried using darked stroke. It definitely highlights antlers better than light stroke.
And SVG version can be downloaded here for any derivations.

Edited by NickAb, 03 May 2012 - 03:39 AM.

#19 coot83

coot83

Member: 68474

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Hey guys, not trying to necro a thread here but I have been trying to get the green right for the forestmen with this type of template with MS paint.  Mine are always a tad too bright to match, does anyone know the proper green color that would match these?  Thank you ED for the great tutorial and the beautiful torso creations that you have created!

Coot

#20 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Member: 1771

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

As far as I can tell by trying it, with MS Paint you have to set the RGB values to: R= 0, G= 74 and B= 45. Hope this helps you.

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Looking for new decals or help customising your LEGO elements? Check the Minifig Customisation Index!

My Brickshelf --- My Flickr

#21 coot83

coot83

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

Luxor thanks for the quick reply!  I just tried out that green combo, but when I print it seems to be a shade darker.  I have a canon printer and should I make sure before printing that I have certain settings on it?  I recently printed in the "best" setting.  Thanks for your help!

Coot

#22 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

The result of your print may depend on different things: printer setting, ink, paper type. There is no global solution which works in every case. It's a trial and error process. You'll have to try manually lightening your decal's colour(s) until it(they) match what you want once printed.

You may find it a bit easier by adding the decal to a Word file and use the 'lighten/darken image' option in there as a start. Once you find the right setting you can try to replicate it on the original Paint file.

Or you can look for some more advanced graphic program, like Inkscape or similar free ones. MS Paint is a good starting point, but has somewhat limited options and tools.

Finally, you may also find some more tutorials in the MCW Index.

Looking for new decals or help customising your LEGO elements? Check the Minifig Customisation Index!

#23 coot83

coot83

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

Luxor, I tried to use the color your recommended with some brightness and contrasts to it.  I think I might have the color about as close as I can get to making it on MS Word.  I was curious if you would be willing to see how "close" I got?  The brightness I got was 20% and the contrast was 25%.  I know that we dont have the same printers, but maybe MS word is somewhat universal?

Coot

#24 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

Yes, MS Word is (or should be, supposing we share the same version) universal in its basic settings. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about screen settings (not to mention the human eye itself and the way each individual detects smaller hue and tonality differences).

Anyway, I don't think you need someone to confirm your job; you just need to be satisfied with it yourself. If you're not mass producing these as a commercial product, what suits your personal needs and requirements is what you want to achieve. :wink:

#25 coot83

coot83

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

Luxor, I understand and thanks again for your input.  It seems to me that I can get the color close to it, but I cant get an exact match.  Do you know if decal paper will cause a slightly different presentation from regular paper?  Im just wondering if many customizers achieve the perfect color match or do they just get it close and move on?  I have no means of mass producing this, just wanting to make the best custom that I can of an updated forestman.  Thanks for all your help.

Coot

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users