phoinix

Pre-production design

havent you ever wondered how the lego sets got to look the way they do?

what happens at the drawing board?

how do the first drafts look?

i have found a few of them mostly at brickshelf and here they are

the city crane prototype

aizs2vkxj7lyhcqiv.jpg

the 4402 sea riders creator set first draft looked like this

prototype.jpg

and the final one is as we all know this

4402-1.jpg

the viking fortress 7019 looked like this

aizs341u729ez6ekn.jpg

terrible isnt it?

harry potter grave-yard duel looked like this

aizs3dm2r8f2xrknb.jpg

and here are some designs on how certain minifigs were created

the monster

monster.gif

the vampire

vampire.gif

the werewolf

werewolf-1.gif

and a couple about the vikings

vikings_1.gif

vikings_2.gif

if you have found any preliminary design yourself please share as i find this to be very intresting!!

Edited by Fugazi
Capitalised the title

I still like the preliminary Viking Fortress design (with the blue baseplates too) better.

I would like to know why they change certain elements of other wise decent looking sets. I really liked the crane truck, and I don't really know why they would have changed it besides the minifigures (to the cooler new ones)

Any other pics or insight into this from the experts would be interesting.

I agree, I liked the Vikins prelim better, and the Monsters as well (brown hook claws? eh, not a bad idea I guess). The crane and ship I really don't care about, but I wish I had those vikings accessories! The beards and warhammer... :'-(

If you have any more, please post them, I'm finding this fascinating

I agree, I liked the Vikins prelim better, and the Monsters as well (brown hook claws? eh, not a bad idea I guess). The crane and ship I really don't care about, but I wish I had those vikings accessories! The beards and warhammer... :'-(

If you have any more, please post them, I'm finding this fascinating

I was suprised by that and the fact that they were going to use 1x1s to make Frankenstein's monster taller. Though I do understand why they changed the brains on the back of his head to gears.

-l2k-

I think that this city crane looks for me better. When it had looks so I would be buy the city crane.

I found a few prototypes for LEGO-trains on the net some time ago. These pictures have been on the official LEGO-site, though, and what is here are the biggest pictures I could find.

Oh, and they're all old. Both the Crocodile and the Union Pacific are 12V models, the white/green/black passenger train became the 4558 while the last one never saw daylight. Interesting designs, though. Notice the 1x3x5 doors on the Crocodile and the nose-piece on the red locomotive, as well as the base for the car, which is six studs longer compared to the longest that have ever been available to the public.

Edited 16/5-10: Attached images are gone, so I'm posting Brickshelf-uploaded ones instead. Enjoy!

und360x230us0tog11.jpgund360x230us0tog14.jpg

und360x230us0tog4.jpgund360x230us0tog9.jpg

post-670-1162757120.jpg

post-670-1162757145.jpg

post-670-1162757154.jpg

post-670-1162757163.jpg

Edited by Freddie

Now that's interesting. Looked around for some time at brickshelf but unfortunately couldn't find any of those. Would be glad to see more, though. :-)

Good Topic!

I too did an extensive BS search but the only thing I could find excluding bioncle was some Harry Potter which wasn't a whole lot different.

BTW, we have a thread floating around H&A forum somewhere with all the viking prototypes. EDIT: Found it! Oh, and this one.

Cool.

aj07qpb28nh9jn0hy.jpg

Edit: Click pic for huge pic

7018b.jpg

Edit: Smaller pics, please. If you want to show detailed pics post a link to the bigger one. Makes the thread a lot easier to read. Thanks :-)

Vikings...

7015.jpg

7016.jpg

7017.jpg

HP. I have others but they look the same as the real thing.

HP5.jpg

Spider-Man, much different than what we got.

SMan3.jpg

Not really a prototype of a real set because the real set was never made.

ship-green.jpg

ship-blue.jpg

Am I the only one that thinks that the prototype sets are better than what we got?

Same with me. I love seeing these designs and concepts. Great stuff!

Not really a prototype of a real set because the real set was never made.

Isn't that the Mearsk set, just in different colors?

Am I the only one that thinks that the prototype sets are better than what we got?

In alot of cases I would agree with you. Particularily most of the Viking sets (loved the beards and hammers). In the massive Prototype Pic of the Viking Ship, the ship is much much cooler, the monster is more terrifying, and the vikings and the entire scene just looks more heroic. Look at the back of the boat - it actually has a bridge. Although not as realistic (Longships didn't have an elevated bridge section) it looks cooler than the platform we got on the Released model and has some cooler pieces.

Oh well!

preliminary design on a couple of creator sets..

4506-1.jpg

4507-1.jpg

although in these cases its mostly the box art that changes and not the actuall set...

still i find lego product design very intresting!!!

thanx for sharing your finds with the rest of us!!

now all we need is an actuall lego designer to send us his/hers designs!! ;-) ;-)

Isn't that the Mearsk set, just in different colors?

Yes. Lego after running out of Mearsk blue pieces was gonig to make the set in either dark blue or dark green. They even let us vote on it, dark blue won. So they were about to make a dark plue boat when Mearsk wanted more sets to be made so Mearsk bought Lego the blue they need and made more. These sets were shelved.

I like mostly all the pre-production designs exept the Viking ones.The bakcround looks a bit dull.Some of the Viking sets are cool though.

I like mostly all the pre-production designs exept the Viking ones.The bakcround looks a bit dull.Some of the Viking sets are cool though.
im pretty sure, if those designs would have made it into production, they would have "finished" the box art, and taken better photos of the sets. just like the models, the box art we see here is also preliminary. those dull backgrounds would have been changed.

- BrickMiner

and this is a pre-production image of the 8416 technic fork lift set

8416.jpg

finally this set ended being black

8416-1.jpg

and i think this looks a lot better than the prototype..

and this is a pre-production image of the 8416 technic fork lift set

and i think this looks a lot better than the prototype..

Absolutely, the prototype is so Hideous than I'm thinking it's more like a "filler" to test the design of the box than anything else. I can't imagine thaht lego would releasy such an ugly thing :-)

I love this topic !! *y*

Absolutely, the prototype is so Hideous than I'm thinking it's more like a "filler" to test the design of the box than anything else. I can't imagine thaht lego would releasy such an ugly thing :-)

I love this topic !! *y*

honestly, I think all end-products look waaaaaaay better than the prototypes... i'd like to see the prototypes of the old 'classic' sets :-$

honestly, I think all end-products look waaaaaaay better than the prototypes... i'd like to see the prototypes of the old 'classic' sets :-$

thats a great idea!!that would have been amazing!

i really wonder what the prototypes for classic space looked like :-$

to bad there was no internet back then so it would have been really hard to find and share the pictures!

i cant get enough of these finds! *wub*

hope we can dick up some more!!!