Tribute to Childhood memory

15 replies to this topic

#1 DopedCow

DopedCow

Member: 27836

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Hi guys,

After a long time building out-of-the-box sets I finally decided to give it a go on my own. The original Guarded Inn (6067/10000) was my all-time favorite as a child and I was equally in favor of the Falcons. So combining the two I ended up with this blue remake - the red felt wrong for the Falcons.

/. Doped Cow

http://www.flickr.co...N05/6910465434/

Attached Images

• Guarded Blue Inn 01.jpg

Edited by DopedCow, 08 April 2012 - 01:35 PM.

Disclaimer: I am an employee with the LEGO Group (working with IT) but my presence here is only out of personal interest.

#2 Trent

Trent

Member: 16613

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

Very nice - I love the bird, and I really like your stonework on the floor.  The blue works really well in the building, and the highlights of gold are nice too.   :thumbup:

Some more pictures from different angles would be helpful.   :classic:

#3 DopedCow

DopedCow

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

@Trent: Thank you Posted Image

I have added a few more to Flickr. Please see the link.

/. Doped Cow
Disclaimer: I am an employee with the LEGO Group (working with IT) but my presence here is only out of personal interest.

#4 Wout

Wout

Member: 1485

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

Hello, welcome on Eurobricks.

I have the original also and I find this a very nice recreation of this set with pieces and building technics of this time.
Well done!
Duke of Equestria

#5 Hersbrucker

Hersbrucker

• WIP it good

Member: 22070

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

:thumbup:
That is great. This Set should be rebuild like yours!

Posted Image

“Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it.” Henry Royce †

My BL Shop______My MOCpages

#6 Combee

Combee

Member: 25193

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

I love that stork  :wub: great job!

#7 The_Cook

The_Cook

• Piratical Project Manager

Member: 23998

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

Very nice, the blue works surprisingly well and the inspiration is immediately evident.

Does the front hinge? If it does, like the original did, then extra points!

#8 K-Nut

K-Nut

Member: 19691

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

I agree, that blue looks better than the original red. Great work! I've always been a sucker for blue/white color schemes.  :grin_wub:
My Collection

Posted Image

Althior Emorith (And Finnegan) Level 40.4 Necromancer: Stats

#9 Donut

Donut

• Ninja Poodle

Member: 2505

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:33 AM

Yep that looks like the Guarded Inn, that was my reaction before reading your description. Great job on paying homage to an awesome classic set.

#10 Brinstar

Brinstar

Member: 21451

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

Nice work, the Guarded Inn is one of all my all time favorite castle sets. I like the way you've created your own interpretation of the set rather than simply swap the pieces around. I particularly like the stone paving and the improved entrance. The brick built castle wall is also an improvement over the original.

#11 DopedCow

DopedCow

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your comments. They encouraged me to go back and revisit the original since I felt there were a few things missing.

Posted Image

So now it hinges Posted Image (se the new pictures @Flickr) and the pond is detachable from the building (the stork will return in another interpretation of the Inn).

I like the blue/white combo as well (obviously Posted Image) but I would love to see it done in dark green or black/dark grey. My only problem is deciding for which faction the dark green version should be aimed; the original forestmen supplemented with the one from the collectible minifigures, the new dragon knights or perhaps a band of the leprechauns.

/. Doped Cow

#12 BrickBucket

BrickBucket

Member: 15851

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

Very nice, looks very much like an old classic castle set

View PostDopedCow, on 09 April 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your comments. They encouraged me to go back and revisit the original since I felt there were a few things missing.

Posted Image

So now it hinges Posted Image (se the new pictures @Flickr) and the pond is detachable from the building (the stork will return in another interpretation of the Inn).

I like the blue/white combo as well (obviously Posted Image) but I would love to see it done in dark green or black/dark grey. My only problem is deciding for which faction the dark green version should be aimed; the original forestmen supplemented with the one from the collectible minifigures, the new dragon knights or perhaps a band of the leprechauns.

/. Doped Cow

#13 ED-209

ED-209

• Medieval Master Artist

Member: 4091

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

Ah, fantastic! I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the Black Falcons, and this is instantly recognisable as an update of the original set. Very nicely done indeed. I prefer the overhang in the eaves you introduced in the newer version... and is that a Leprechaun's pot that you've put the plant in?

#14 The_Cook

The_Cook

• Piratical Project Manager

Member: 23998

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:48 AM

I've just seen the hinged version and that really did bring a smile to my face, an excellent rendition of a complete classic.

If the next castle line (after LOTR) re-introduces the concept of a modular castle wall then this should definitely be up for inclusion within. A couple of tweaks here and there to make it buildable from instructions and to have a sensible price point and it would be a high seller amongst the AFOL's and do well amongst the wider castle buying public.

#15 Mencot

Mencot

• No! This is Maersk

Member: 23524

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

Looks very good, the blue white combo is nice. This is how it should be done  :sweet:
MyBricklink store   Myflickr

EB Mafia history:

Aperture Academy Mafia. Silvercity Mafia. CMF Mafia I.  Hinckley´s Minimal Mafia. Ragnarök Now Redux. TrumpetKing´s CMF Mafia 2. Mafia Sunset, Jamesn´s Red Menace Mafia.

Now playing as:

Posted Image

Cosplay Gandolf the wiz  in Def´s The Cosplay (Mafia school)

Keliim the Cruel in Heroica RPG

Stats

#16 DopedCow

DopedCow

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

View PostED-209, on 14 April 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

Ah, fantastic! I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the Black Falcons, and this is instantly recognisable as an update of the original set. Very nicely done indeed. I prefer the overhang in the eaves you introduced in the newer version... and is that a Leprechaun's pot that you've put the plant in?

Yes that in the Leprechaun's pot. It is my main reason for collecting the Leprechaun. Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users